The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,256
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
And the winner in the "Creepy Church fans" catagory is....

I was reading through some Church/Kilbey interviews and this answer nearly made me choke I laughed so hard. God, I would have loved to have seen his face! [Plus you get a bit of SK as horny toad too... ]

(it was a question about fans.... You probably already figured it out, given the title)

KILBEY: I'll tell you, I've been backstage many times, and there's a girl talking to me. I'm like, "Hey baby, wanna come back to the hotel?" and she's like, "Yeah!" Then I say, "Who is this guy over there looking at us?" The girl's going, "I don't know!" And I say, "Are you sure? He's really giving me dirty looks." Then suddenly the guy marches up and yells, "This is my fiancé!!!" and drags her off. People get like that!
...niiiiiicccce...

Geez, some people...*Shakes head*.

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
There was a guy in Oklahoma who, Eskimo-style, came up to me and said, "Me and my wife really like you."
I said, "Thank you."
"We got married to your music."
"Thank you."
"That's my wife sitting over there."
"Hello, wife."
"It would be a big honor for us if you'd sleep with her tonight."
I was like, what?!?!

LAUNCH: So did you?

KILBEY: No!

LMAO! What the hell?

God, if I ever met any of my favorite artists, I can safely say that I'd never do anything like that (course, even if I wanted to, I'd never get past a mere "Hi..." to begin with, so... LOL).

And yes, there are certain crowds that just...don't respond well to certain bands. I remember reading stories about how U2, when they first started out, were a bit worried about that sort of thing, because they were an Irish band going into non-Irish parts of Europe, and...things were a bit testy at times with some of the people. It's a shame, and scary stuff, but you grin and bear it, right? Good thing nobody ever got seriously hurt here.

I'll check out that mp3, timothius. I've never heard of the Angels, let alone this song...sounds interesting.

Angela
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
DeadMansParty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Bay, Ca
Posts: 3,837
Local Time: 10:35 PM
I once got to go to dinner with Peter Koppes, my ex girlfriends roomate was great friends with him and when he came to visit, we all went our for indian food. He had 3 orders of bread pudding, hehe.
__________________

__________________
DeadMansParty is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DeadMansParty
I once got to go to dinner with Peter Koppes, my ex girlfriends roomate was great friends with him and when he came to visit, we all went our for indian food. He had 3 orders of bread pudding, hehe.
Cool. I could have guessed indian or thai food. When the band tours and they go out for dinner before the show they almost always hit indian or thai places. PK's supposed to be just the nicest guy of the bunch -- I don't ever hear "Peter was a jerk" stories from fans.

Three orders of bread pudding, eh? Guess he was hungry!

A woman I know who's a friend of PK's made chocolate chip cookies for the guys during their last US tour. She made a whole batch and had them backstage. All of them had one or two, except for SK who just couldn't stop eating them. She was amazed at how fast they went. He polished off every last one. He's got a major sweet tooth.

Oh, and the same woman who made the cookies also gave PK her grandmother's 100 year old mandolin. Apparently it's a very nice one, and Peter was so thrilled. For the rest of the tour he was telling everyone about it and piddling around with it. And he mentioned it in several interviews and used it quite a bit of the band's El Momento Descuidado cd as well. It's nice to know he is so thrilled with the gift.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,256
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Cool. I could have guessed indian or thai food. When the band tours and they go out for dinner before the show they almost always hit indian or thai places. PK's supposed to be just the nicest guy of the bunch -- I don't ever hear "Peter was a jerk" stories from fans.
That's good .

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Three orders of bread pudding, eh? Guess he was hungry!

A woman I know who's a friend of PK's made chocolate chip cookies for the guys during their last US tour. She made a whole batch and had them backstage. All of them had one or two, except for SK who just couldn't stop eating them. She was amazed at how fast they went. He polished off every last one. He's got a major sweet tooth.
LOL, well, hey, they didn't go to waste, so....

Some of my favorite artists have gotten food handed out to them, too. One time, one of my favorite artists brought out food from the backstage area and offered it to the fans during a show-kind of a payback for the fans always giving them food. Which I thought was pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Oh, and the same woman who made the cookies also gave PK her grandmother's 100 year old mandolin. Apparently it's a very nice one, and Peter was so thrilled. For the rest of the tour he was telling everyone about it and piddling around with it. And he mentioned it in several interviews and used it quite a bit of the band's El Momento Descuidado cd as well. It's nice to know he is so thrilled with the gift.
Yeah, it is-that's pretty cool . Imagine seeing a gift you gave an artist you love being used on a CD picture. That'd be funky.

By the way, I liked a lot of the stuff you sent me on that CD. Some really good songs on there .

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #140
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel


LOL, well, hey, they didn't go to waste, so....

Well Steve's vegan so he's not supposed to be eating them in the first place. But when you get a case of the munchies what are you gonna do?

But over the past few years he is working to watch what he eats, get exercise, lay off the hard drugs -- just living a healthier lifestyle. His dad died of a heart attack when he was about the age SK is now, so that's a consideration. Plus he also has young children, so he wants to be around for them.

Quote:

Yeah, it is-that's pretty cool . Imagine seeing a gift you gave an artist you love being used on a CD picture. That'd be funky.



One guy I talk to online sometimes loaned the band a couple of guitars a couple of years ago. They used one of them in a video they did (I think it was MWP using it) a,d PK used one during some of the gigs they did at the time. The guy who owned the guitars was thrilled!

Quote:

By the way, I liked a lot of the stuff you sent me on that CD. Some really good songs on there .

Angela


Thanks! As soon as I mailed them off I started thinking how I shouldn't have included some songs and should have included others....
Just be glad you didn't get a six disc box set......
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 08-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,256
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Well Steve's vegan so he's not supposed to be eating them in the first place.
Oh, I see.

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
But when you get a case of the munchies what are you gonna do?
Heh, yeah...when you gotta eat, you gotta eat.

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
But over the past few years he is working to watch what he eats, get exercise, lay off the hard drugs -- just living a healthier lifestyle. His dad died of a heart attack when he was about the age SK is now, so that's a consideration. Plus he also has young children, so he wants to be around for them.
Makes sense. My dad's doing the same thing.

Sorry to hear that about his dad .

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
One guy I talk to online sometimes loaned the band a couple of guitars a couple of years ago. They used one of them in a video they did (I think it was MWP using it) a,d PK used one during some of the gigs they did at the time. The guy who owned the guitars was thrilled!
I can imagine so. That's really neat ! I know I'd certainly be happy if one of my favorite artists used something I gave them. Good to see these guys appreciate the gifts they're given .

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Thanks! As soon as I mailed them off I started thinking how I shouldn't have included some songs and should have included others.... Just be glad you didn't get a six disc box set......
LOL, well, what you shared was good. I recall thinking the song "After Everything" was particularly pretty...I really liked that one. And "Cantilever" was pretty cool, too. I can only imagine how that one sounds live . Those were a couple that particularly stood out to me. But like I said, everything on there was interesting to hear. Some pretty good stuff there.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 AM   #142
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel


LOL, well, what you shared was good. I recall thinking the song "After Everything" was particularly pretty...I really liked that one. And "Cantilever" was pretty cool, too. I can only imagine how that one sounds live . Those were a couple that particularly stood out to me. But like I said, everything on there was interesting to hear. Some pretty good stuff there.

Angela
Ha! Good thing I included Cantilever then, isn't it? That was one I was thinking I should have omitted.

I realised after sending it off that I had focused really heavily on newer work -- all but four songs were released in 200 or later, so it's not the best representation of their (or SK's solo and collaborative) overall work. But I wanted it to go a bit beyond the singles or radio cuts, and it does that.

The way they did Cantilever live last year was really interesting. It was the first encore and only SK comes out on the stage, gets one of MWP's guitars and starts playing. It's very minimalist and echo-y, as are the vocals, which are aslo pretty off kilter. This first part is very quiet and continues for a good three and a half minutes until the rest of the guys come out (MWP on bass) and then the songs kicks up.

As in the studio version the lines "I don't know what you want to do now. I only know know nothing you won't allow." is sung almost as a mantra throughout...it starts with just SK singing it, then MWP joins in, then PK joins, and then TP does also. Then SK goes off on an almost stream of consciousness-type rambling throught most of the rest of the song, often picking up bits of others songs as he goes. It's really trippy live.

Pretty amazing especially when you consider they maybe practiced it for a few days max before doing it live for the first time.


Church trivia -- this isn't totally useless, as it lends some insight into their creative process:

When they go into the studio to work on songs they often switch instruments (I doubt they let SK near the drums though, he even sucks at programing a drum machine ) to keep it interesting and fresh for them. They generally just sit around and jam, and when something interests them they develop it more.

SK writes the lyrics to most of the songs (the ones he sings anyway), and he says he just listens to the music for a while (often stoned ) and then most often the morning he's supposed to record the vocal to a particular song he will write the lyrics down. He says this used to drive the Arista execs nuts. One of them (the execs) actually said "You mean you just make them up?" And he said "ummm...yeah."
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 08-15-2005, 12:52 AM   #143
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Admit it. You thought this thread had finally died, didn't ya?

No such luck.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 08-15-2005, 02:40 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
blueeyedgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bottom of the earth
Posts: 6,774
Local Time: 05:05 PM
Who, moi??????

__________________
blueeyedgirl is offline  
Old 08-15-2005, 10:11 PM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Who, moi??????




__________________
indra is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,256
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Ha! Good thing I included Cantilever then, isn't it? That was one I was thinking I should have omitted.
Heh, well, I'm glad you didn't . It's a neat song.

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I realised after sending it off that I had focused really heavily on newer work -- all but four songs were released in 200 or later, so it's not the best representation of their (or SK's solo and collaborative) overall work. But I wanted it to go a bit beyond the singles or radio cuts, and it does that.
Totally understandable. I've heard some of the Church's 80s songs on the new wave music channel I listen to anyway, so hearing some later stuff was nice.

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
The way they did Cantilever live last year was really interesting. It was the first encore and only SK comes out on the stage, gets one of MWP's guitars and starts playing. It's very minimalist and echo-y, as are the vocals, which are aslo pretty off kilter. This first part is very quiet and continues for a good three and a half minutes until the rest of the guys come out (MWP on bass) and then the songs kicks up.

As in the studio version the lines "I don't know what you want to do now. I only know know nothing you won't allow." is sung almost as a mantra throughout...it starts with just SK singing it, then MWP joins in, then PK joins, and then TP does also. Then SK goes off on an almost stream of consciousness-type rambling throught most of the rest of the song, often picking up bits of others songs as he goes. It's really trippy live.

Pretty amazing especially when you consider they maybe practiced it for a few days max before doing it live for the first time.
No kidding. That's pretty cool. Are there any good live versions of the song that you have around that I could hear?

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Church trivia -- this isn't totally useless, as it lends some insight into their creative process:

When they go into the studio to work on songs they often switch instruments (I doubt they let SK near the drums though, he even sucks at programing a drum machine ) to keep it interesting and fresh for them. They generally just sit around and jam, and when something interests them they develop it more.
That's a good idea. Anything to help inspiration along, after all, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
SK writes the lyrics to most of the songs (the ones he sings anyway), and he says he just listens to the music for a while (often stoned ) and then most often the morning he's supposed to record the vocal to a particular song he will write the lyrics down. He says this used to drive the Arista execs nuts. One of them (the execs) actually said "You mean you just make them up?" And he said "ummm...yeah."
LOL. Hey, it's his work, he'll be the one performing the songs, the execs should let him do it how he wants. But then again, I'm remembering the horror stories about record companies and executives shared in this thread thus far, so I guess their view on Steve's way of doing things shouldn't be all that surprising . Those people can be so goofy about that sort of thing.

And nah, I can't imagine this thread would die anytime soon, not so long as you're around .

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 02:26 AM   #147
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel


Are there any good live versions of the song that you have around that I could hear?

Angela
I'll dig up a decent boot for you.


Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

And nah, I can't imagine this thread would die anytime soon, not so long as you're around .

Angela
Much to the chagrin of some here I'm sure. But I figure they aren't reading it anyway.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Ordered the "Box of Birds" CD to hear their Neil cover. I'll let you know how I like it.
__________________
BonosSaint is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,256
Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I'll dig up a decent boot for you.
.

Quote:
Originaly posted by indra
Much to the chagrin of some here I'm sure. But I figure they aren't reading it anyway.
Heh. Meh, hey, you go on and like what you want to like, if people have a problem with it....

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 06:31 PM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Ordered the "Box of Birds" CD to hear their Neil cover. I'll let you know how I like it.
Cool. Hope you like it. I know SK's a big Neil Young fan...and I'm pretty sure the rest are too. Actually, I'd kind of wonder about them if they weren't fans.

A little tidbit on Box of Birds :

The band had fans submit cover designs for this cd and then picked eight of them. All eight are printed up on the fold out booklet, so if you don't like one cover you can change it to another. It was a good way to get free artwork while building fan interest.
__________________

__________________
indra is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com