The essential/ultimate rock band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
If you had to pick one band that embodies rock the most - The Who, Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones being usually considered for this title - which would it be ?

xaviMF22 said:

All of my love :wink:

...has a fantastic guitar solo. One of the few times Page really lets loose on that record.

Sorry, but Zep's worst record is Presence, and even that one is decent. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

...has a fantastic guitar solo. One of the few times Page really lets loose on that record.

Sorry, but Zep's worst record is Presence, and even that one is decent. :wink:

Presence has

Achillies Last Stand = best Zeppeling tune :rockon:

you is wrong :grumpy:

Honestly it's ridiculous to attempt to chose the essential band in a sprawling genre of music, one that has been dominate four half a century. But there's really no arguing that the Beatles were the most influential.

:eyebrow: Remember, we're talking about bands that embody rock n' roll and its many facets. Said band doesn't have to be the best or even good...so everyone, please stop naming your favorite bands as if they actually are very rock n' roll (xavi, Pink Floyd does not embody rock in the slightest :wink: )

Go on, you all really want to say the answer is the Backstreet Boys.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Hanson or Gin Blossoms, I just can't make up my mind, they both do such a great job of bringing the little girl out of me...

Coldplay brings out the groupie in me. :evil:

If Who's Next or Quadrophenia don't do it for you guys, listen to the The Who's song "A Quick One, While He's Away."

It's maybe the embodiment of everything Who-ish. The inventive guitar work, the rock opera-type lyrics, the interplay between the band, the phenomenal drumming.

"You are the forgiven!"

LemonMelon said:
:eyebrow: Remember, we're talking about bands that embody rock n' roll and its many facets. Said band doesn't have to be the best or even good...so everyone, please stop naming your favorite bands as if they actually are very rock n' roll (xavi, Pink Floyd does not embody rock in the slightest :wink: )

you slut :tsk:

:wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
If Who's Next or Quadrophenia don't do it for you guys, listen to the The Who's song "A Quick One, While He's Away."

It's maybe the embodiment of everything Who-ish. The inventive guitar work, the rock opera-type lyrics, the interplay between the band, the phenomenal drumming.

"You are the forgiven!"

:up: That song is absolutely wonderful. Not sure if it's my favorite (Sunrise and Baba O' Riley are hard to let go of), but definitely up there.

Last edited:
If we're talking just pure rock and roll, I'd have to say The Who. I love Zeppelin but take away Page's studio production and overdubs and I think The Who has the edge in the live format. Plus, Zeppelin got a bit too conceptual from a songwriting standpoint, and while The Who may have been the ones with the two concept albums, they were operas ABOUT rock and roll, and seemed a bit closer to the spirit of the music. Townshend will never fail to be underrated by the average music fan. Such a gifted and brilliant writer.

The Stones are obviously great on many levels, but they never really rocked as hard as either of the other two bands, and are more of rhythm and blues guys.

I agree with the above disqualification of Pink Floyd (though I appreciate them as well), and The Beatles are clearly pop, so much more than just a rock and roll band.

LemonMelon said:

:up: That song is absolutely wonderful. Not sure if it's my favorite (Sunrise and Baby O' Riley are hard to let go of), but definitely up there.

I'm not sure if it's my favorite either, how can Baba O'Riley not be the favorite? But some days the lines between this song and Baba blur and it's tied.

LED ZEPPELIN

The perfect band in all aspects.

Timeless rock n roll tunes.

Back
Top Bottom