The Essential Bruce Springsteen tracklisting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well, it's definitely an improvement over the GH

http://www.springsteen.net/nyheter.php?id=154

Disc 1
1. Blinded By The Light
2. Spirit In The Night
3. For You
4. 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy)
5. Rosalita
6. Thunder Road
7. Born To Run
8. Jungleland
9. Badlands
10.Darkness On The Edge Of Town
11.The Promised Land
12.The River
13.Hungry Heart
14.Nebraska
15.Atlantic City

Disc 2
1. Born In The USA
2. Glory Days
3. Dancing In The Dark
3. Tunnel Of Love
5. Brilliant Disguise
6. Human Touch
7. Living Proof
8. Lucky Town
10.Streets Of Philadelphia
11.The Ghost Of Tom Joad
12.The Rising
13.Mary's Place
14.Lonesome Day
14.American Skin (41 Shots)(live)
15.Land Of Hope And Dreams (live)

Initial pressings include a bonus disc with "Code of Silence", "Another Thin Line", "County Fair", and "Trapped"

Wowee, I love the tracklisting, but mourn for "Lost in the Flood", "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out", "Candy's Room", "Prove it All Night", "Pink Cadillac", "Because the Night", "Out in the Street","Sherry Darling", "Mansion on the Hill", "My Hometown", "I'm On Fire", "Tougher than the Rest", "IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND", "Murder Incorporated", "Secret Garden", "Youngstown", "Waitin' on a Sunny Day", and "My City of Ruins"....

But I have all the CDs anyway and for a two disc set the tracklisting is perfect. No one person should pen so many great songs.

"No one person should pen so many great songs"

Absolutely!

I will get it, even though I must have all those songs already on CD-plus the bonus disc should be good, especially if it has that RUMORED song w/ Bono

Hello,

I'd seen this tracklisting before but was very curious to the rumoured 3rd disc. While it's nice that there are 4 new songs (or rather outtakes) on it, I'm unpleasantly surprised that the rumoured Bono/Bruce duet (Break Of Dawn) isn't on it. Nor Devils and Dust, None But The Brave and the live version of Prove It All Night from Berkeley 7/1/78, etc.

:| :hyper:

Marty

OK, I clicked on the link and saw that I'd been to that page before. It's from a Norwegian site. Now, my Norwegian isn't that good (rather, it's not good at all it's terrible), but it seems nothing has been set yet for the rumoured 3rd disc.
The songs UnforgettableLemon mentioned are those Bruce had mentioned to some fans as being on the bonus disc. The other songs are also rumoured to be on that disc, but until there's an official confirmation nothing is for sure yet.

:) :hyper:

Marty

I hope the bonus disc has at least 10 songs on it.

15 songs would be even better.

If one of those songs is the rumored Bruce/Bono duet, I will be dancing in the street. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I think it's a good track list for an album meant to attract both fans and casual listeners. I'll get it.

Hello,

According to the Swedish online music shop Skivhugget is this the contents of that 3rd disc:
BONUS DISC
1. From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)
2. Big Payback
3. Held Up Without A Gun (Live) *
4. Trapped (Live) *
5. None But The Brave
6. Missing
7. Lift Me Up
8. Viva Las Vegas
9. County Fair
10. Code Of Silence (Live) *
11. Dead Man Walkin'
12. Countin' On a Miracle (Acoustic)
* Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

Sounds nice, but where is the Bruce/Bono duet? :|

Still... :hyper:

C ya!

Marty

Hello,

An official press release has been published about the upcoming Bruce compilation. You can read it on Stone Pony London .

Well, it now seems official, the tracklisting as posted by Unforgettable Lemon (only For You and Spirit In The Night switch places) and the 11-track bonus CD as posted my yours truly. ;)
Alas, no Bruce/Bono duet. :|
However:
The 'Essential' set will also include a third, limited-edition CD with rarities and previously unreleased recordings, each one annotated by Springsteen in the album's liner notes. The bonus disc includes songs never before released commercially, including "None But the Brave," recorded during the 'Born in the USA' sessions at the Hit Factory in New York City; live recordings of "Held Up Without a Gun" and Jimmy Cliff's "Trapped" from the breakthrough 'River' tour; the acoustic, country-blues version of "Countin' on a Miracle"; a home recording of "County Fair" recorded shortly after the 'Nebraska' album; and more.

Is there an empty wallet smiley somewhere? :D

Marty

I think its a great track listing. Except Mary's Place, never cared for it. Substitute Because The Night in its place and its near perfect for me.

PS: Devils and Dust is pretty average IMO, Bruce needs to work on it some more before releasing it. It sounds like B side throwaway material in its current form.

Last edited:
martha said:
Is Trapped going to be the same one that was on the We Are The World lp?

I hope.

Nope, it isn't the same version. These last few days I've read somewhere that on the We Are The World LP there was a live version from the Born In The USA Tour. The version on The Essential is going to be from the River Tour.

Here is a tracklisting of that 3rd disc with the 'sources' of the tracks:
1. From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come) - Recorded in 1979, covered by Dave Edmunds on 1982 release 'DE 7th'
2. Big Payback - Home recording made shortly after 'Nebraska'
3. Held Up Without a Gun (live) - Recorded live in Uniondale, NY, in 1980
4. Trapped (live)- Jimmy Cliff song recorded live on 'The River' tour
5. None But the Brave - Recorded during 'Born in the USA' sessions
6. Missing - Appeared in Sean Penn film 'The Crossing Guard'
7. Lift Me Up - Written for John Sayles' film 'Limbo.'
8. Viva Las Vegas - Recorded for NME benefit album
9. County Fair - Recorded in 1983 at home after 'Nebraska' sessions
10. Code of Silence (live) - Written with Joe Gruschecky, recorded live in 1999
11. Dead Man Walking - Written for Tim Robbins' film -
12. Countin' on a Miracle (acoustic) - Recording played at end of every show on 'Rising' tour 2002-2003

C ya!

Marty

OK, my turn
Disc 1
1. Blinded By The Light
2. Spirit In The Night
3. For You
4. 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy)
5. Rosalita

I get the tracklists for Greetings and Incident mixed up all the time so I'll address them together. First, it's great that The Boss himself remembered he put out these two LPs after giving them the complete snub on GH. These are all great songs, but IMO if we are talking "essentials" Incident on 57th street needs to replace one of the above.(well, maybe not Rosy) Same arguement (to a lesser extent) for Lost in the Flood.

6. Thunder Road
7. Born To Run
8. Jungleland

THis album I thought would have been better represented. I have no problems with any one these three (Jungleland is my alltime fav.) But Backstreets needs to be here. 10th Ave, too, but I'm not going to cry about it's absence.

9. Badlands
10.Darkness On The Edge Of Town
11.The Promised Land

Darkness is a great song, but Prove It and Racing in the Streets are both better.

12.The River
13.Hungry Heart

fine. But only two songs off of the River? Cadillac Ranch, Two Hearts

14.Nebraska
15.Atlantic City

AC alone would have sufficed here, but Jonny99, Open all night, Reason to Believe are all stronger than title track.

Disc 2
1. Born In The USA
2. Glory Days
3. Dancing In The Dark

Born, Glory both awesome. Dancing? Don't waste my time. Even HE hated it. My Hometown and/or No Surrender instead.

4. Tunnel Of Love
5. Brilliant Disguise
6. Human Touch
7. Living Proof
8. Lucky Town
10.Streets Of Philadelphia

IMO, nothing "essential" from this period in his career. Obviously missed the E-Streeters more than he figured in the studio. Still some good tracks missing: Better Days (album version please), 57 Channels (radio remix) Tougher than the rest.

11.The Ghost Of Tom Joad

Would have liked to hear a full bander of this one.

12.The Rising
13.Mary's Place
14.Lonesome Day

Too early to determine what is "essential" from the new album. He might regret leaving Into The Fire off. Most uplifting chorus on the album. Mary's Place is a great throwback tune. Would have fit in with any of his work from the 1970s.

14.American Skin (41 Shots)(live)
15.Land Of Hope And Dreams (live)

I thought I read somewhere that he was going to record these two in the studio after the reunion tour. Would have been great to hear.

The bonus disc sounds like a good deal to me. I have the Tracks box, and it blew me away. It's amazing-- that collection is basically his "reject bin" WOW!! Hopefully more of the same here. I already have the We Are The World CD, so I'm happy that Trapped is from a different tour.
He could have filled the rest of disc three up with live stuff that didn't make the Live 75-85 box. Luckily for me I own a wonderfully done 2 disc boot of outtakes from that release. (A prized possession)

Over all, this collection is a fairly good representation of his career. It has appeal for both casual and hardcore fans. It does appear that he had to make some concessions to his label as far as the play list goes. "...I need a love reaction.." WTF!?!?

Back
Top Bottom