the end of polaroid film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
Polaroid shutting 2 Mass. facilities, laying off 150
As company exits film business, plants will close in Norwood, Waltham
Email|Print| Text size ? + By Hiawatha Bray
Globe Staff / February 8, 2008

Polaroid Corp., the Massachusetts company that gave the world instant film photography, is shutting down its film manufacturing lines in the state and abandoning the technology that made the company famous.
more stories like this

"The Norwood plant is shutting down, and we will soon be winding down activities at the Waltham facility as well," said Kyle MacDonald, senior vice president of Polaroid's instant photography business segment. The closures, set for completion during this quarter, will eliminate about 150 jobs. In the late 1970s, Polaroid employed about 15,000 in Massachusetts.

The Norwood and Waltham plants make large-format films used by professional photographers and artists. Polaroid also makes professional-grade films in Mexico, and its consumer film packs come from a factory in the Netherlands. All these plants are slated for closure this year. Polaroid chief operating officer Tom Beaudoin said the company is interested in licensing its technology to an outside firm that could manufacture film for faithful Polaroid customers. If that doesn't happen, Polaroid users would have to find an alternative photo technology, as the company plans to make only enough film to last into next year.

Polaroid has already quietly halted production of instant cameras. "We stopped making commercial-type cameras about 18 to 24 months ago, and we stopped making consumer cameras about a year ago," said Beaudoin.

"It's about time," said Ron Glaz, director of digital imaging program at IDC Corp. "The fact that they're getting out of film makes complete sense."

In the years following World War II, Polaroid's instant photography products established the company as one of Massachusetts' leading industrial concerns, and made its brand name famous worldwide. But in the late 1980s the company went deeply into debt to fend off a hostile takeover. It invested heavily in products that failed and was unprepared for the surging popularity of digital cameras. By 2001, Polaroid was forced into bankruptcy; privately held Petters Group Worldwide of Minnetonka, Minn., bought the company's remaining assets in 2005.

The Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development is providing employment assistance to laid-off workers, some of whom were warned about the cuts two years ago. Along with standard job-placement services, the state agency joined with Worcester Polytechnic Institute last year to retrain laid-off Polaroid workers for manufacturing jobs at biotechnology companies. About 30 workers have been retrained under the program so far.

The company will retain about 150 executive and administrative employees at its headquarters in Concord and a smaller office in Waltham. "We'll continue to have a strong presence in Massachusetts for the next 30 or 40 years," said Beaudoin. But Polaroid will now focus on flat-panel TVs and digital photography gear.

Polaroid has also struck an alliance with Zink Imaging Inc. of Bedford, a company founded by former Polaroid scientists and executives. Zink makes a system that generates pocket-sized prints of digital photos. Polaroid will begin selling Zink photo printers under its brand name this year.

Ed Lee, a digital photography analyst at InfoTrends Inc. in Weymouth, said the Zink printer could have a bright future in the long run. But he said the current model, which produces images about the size of a business card, probably won't appeal to the mass market. "I don't see a lot of people using it for printing photos that will wind up in photo albums," he said.

IDC's Glaz added that sales of home photo printers have slowed in recent years. He said today's consumers prefer to look at photos on their computer screens, and are more likely to say, "E-mail that to me, rather than give me a hard copy."

This is really sad. Years ago I worked for a company who sold cases of Polaroid film to our customers. I guess in this great technological age everything's gone digital. RIP Polaroid :sad:

Pros
* Instant photography
* Easy to take coked out party photos

Cons
* Not really instant
* Easy to take coked out party photos

:sad:

I love film photography ... I hope that it never becomes completely obselete. Digital is fun .. but I think the original is always the best :)

polaroid dropped the ball.

who the hell wants every picture they've taken to exist only electronically?!?

the scary thing about the age in which we live is that everything is just going to exist electronically.

with the right marketing they could have still sold polaroid film to people. what an amazing concept, taking a picture and having it exist in the real world, being able to hold it and watch it develop?!

but noooooooooo.

david said:

the scary thing about the age in which we live is that everything is just going to exist electronically.

with the right marketing they could have still sold polaroid film to people. what an amazing concept, taking a picture and having it exist in the real world, being able to hold it and watch it develop?!

but noooooooooo.
TranceEnding said:
:sad:

I love film photography ... I hope that it never becomes completely obselete. Digital is fun .. but I think the original is always the best :)
Zootlesque said:

And the whole world goes when the power goes! :ohmy:
What the hell are you guys talking about?

You can still have digital photos printed onto any paper medium you could ever desire. I wiill never miss getting a roll of 24 prints back and 5 or 6 of them being useless.

Stop being so alarmist.

leernp0.gif

david said:

but noooooooooo.

Yeah but there's a cost issue, that's what killed them...

david said:
there's a big difference in quality of actual film and printed digital pictures.

I was JUST thinking about posting the exact same thing! :wink:

It's very true though ... when I first started using a digital camera (which has only been in the last year :ohmy: ) I was so disappointed with the quality of the prints. There's something very 'plastic' about them (sorry, I can't think of another way to explain it!)

Digital photographs don't have film grain, and most people fall into the trap of buying a digicam based on megapixels and not the actual type of image sensor.

apart from quality blah blah, there is the whole issue of true candids. I don't remember the last time I saw a non posed in some way "candid", and even if it was brutal it was probably deleted and reshot at least once.

Film means it's there, and it's staying to haunt you forever. When I think of the pics of my family from years ago - and the thought that some of them may have been deleted for a retake, that saddens me so much, as they sometimes capture the essence of a person I love more than a pose ever will.

That's too bad. Kodak has been having similar problems, too. I guess the true end of film cameras is just around the corner.

I loved my gray and pink Polaroid Cool Cam.

400021489_3e97ca0d9b.jpg

My brother had the black and red one.

467139344_501dc442f4.jpg

polaroids were good for getting high, taking a slew of good ol fashioned nasty slut photos, and then fucking each other silly on a bed of them strewn all about, their recently exposed stickiness clinging to your hot sweaty bodies

try THAT with a digital

i think it sucks that the company had to shut down and so many people lost jobs. but speaking from an artist perspective, polaroid didn't do much for me. i think i'll be sad when slides are deemed obsolete. THEN will be the time to fear for the future of humanity.

i agree that film is much better than digital (especially when one has the right kind of camera), but i was not a big fan of instant photography.

actually i was more thinking along the lines of maintaining a professional portfolio. slides are by far the best way to capture non digital visual art media. there are some things that a digital camera just can't document. digi should leave it to the professionals, mr. sun and ms. shutter.

oh, and pop cameras are the shit.

Back
Top Bottom