The End of Orbital

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Yup...Orbital performed their last ever live performance on July 28th in London's Maida Vale studios. The show was broadcast live on BBC's Radio 1, so if you want to listen to it via RealPlayer (and I hate this program so very very much), click on this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio1_aod.shtml?peel_wed

Hurry up, because chances are, that show will change later tonight and won't be Orbital anymore.

But if you can download a 125 MB file, I found this MP3:

http://theslades.tk/orbital/OrbitalFinalPerformance-Live@MaidaVale28-07-04.mp3

Anyhow, it's too bad that they're over. One of the few electronic artists whose albums could still sound relevant 10 years later.

Melon

Here's the tracklisting from Radio 1:

Remind
the girl with the sun in her hair
belfast
you lot
the box
satan
halcyon
one perfect sunrise
impact
dr who
chime
bonus track : remind ( rewind )

Melon

Thanks a ton for the link!! I'd forgotten this show was coming up!

I'm sort of surprised they didn't end with One Perfect Sunrise though, I thought that's what that song was made to do.

Do you know if BBC1 played the whole concert or just bits and pieces?

thanks for that link Melon, missed the concert but will d/l it...

just heard One Perfect sunrise in the last few days, excellent track, chime is a classic could listen to it over and over again

Ace Rimmer said:
chime is a classic could listen to it over and over again

I completely agree. I really want to get their 'best of' compilation.

Anyone know of a good site to download Orbital sets? I haven't had good luck, thus far. This is one of the few I have happened to be able to find!

Melon

Listening to it now...

fucking mindblowingly sweet. orbital is awesome.

could do without the audience though.

Im soooooooooooooooo sad, I just love Orbital, they are definately my favourite dance group and I am soooooo pissed that I never got the chance to see them live. I first got into them in 99 after seeing a video of their glastonbury set and Impact USA just blew me away and now I own, The middle of nowhere, The altogether, the brown album & In sides and soon I will get the blue album.........so sad, the Hartnol brothers rock!!!! That set list is pretty cool, how i would love to hear Halcyon and Impact live, looks like I will never get a chance to now:sad:

I wish I could find more sets to download, cause Halcyon is amazing live. :( This Glastonbury set is on usenet, don't know if you guys have access but you might , depending on your ISP. I would upload it to share but it's a 1 gig file. :huh:

I'm very sad that they are leaving. I accidentally got into Orbital, after having a mild obsession for Opus III's "It's a Fine Day," but didn't know it. I heard the song on the radio several years ago, but never knew what it was called. I accidentally stumbled onto Orbital's "Halcyon + On + On" and recognized the tune, which sampled from that Opus III song. Yet, it took me another three or four years to actually connect the dots and discover "It's a Fine Day"...lol. Regardless, I ended up discovering an eminently better group in the process, and, after being released 11 years ago, their "Brown" album still is in regular rotation for me.

I hate to say it, though, but perhaps their breakup is for the best? "Orbital" seemed to have been slipping a bit with their last album (although the B-sides release with the U.S. edition more than made up for it!). However, I still liked it, and "Illuminate" is one of my favorite songs of theirs. I haven't heard the "Blue" album yet, merely because it isn't here yet, but I'm sure I will like it. There is no one else like them, and nor do I doubt that there will ever be; but, at least, I can feel like they went out on a bang.

Melon

Its funny, but I dont think that Orbital slipped much in the quality of their work in the later part of their history- Illuminate is one of my favourite songs of theirs and whilst there is a fair bit of crap on the altogether, the last song 'Meltdown' is just amazing and the middle of nowhere is actually my favourite album of theirs- that cd has always been a permanent staple of my musical diet for the past 5 years:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom