The Elvis Costello appreciation thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2005, 02:16 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:23 AM
The Elvis Costello appreciation thread

Just thought I'd do a thread on Elvis.

Amazingly varied, fantastic composer, long career, this guy is just great

I originally got into him when I was browsing my mum's CD collection and stumbled upon The Very Best Of Elvis Costello and The Attractions. I found one or two catchy tracks, like Pump It Up and Peace, Love, and Understanding, and played those to death. With repeated listenings I really got into the other songs on the compilation, such as the haunting I Want You.

I recently purchased the Enhanced version of his album "Get Happy" which includes the 20 track original album with motown and blues influences and that catchy Elvis Costello vibe, plus another 30 (!) tracks on the second bonus disc. 50 tracks, wow! With alternate versions and studio demos, most excellent.

Then I went after Imperial Bedroom with its amazing production values and mind-bending songs like Beyond Belief. Just great, great music My favs being Beyond Belief, And In Every Home, and of course The Loved Ones.

Yesterday I picked up the super-varied album Trust, which has songs such as the catchy Clubhand and You'll Never Be a Man, and a great chilling closer in Big Sister's Clothes.

I think Mr. Costello has slipped into my third favourite artist spot behind U2 and David Bowie.

Interesting that all three of these guys have really varied and evolving catalogues.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:46 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 02:23 PM
I love him too.
I just bought Delivery Man recently
I have the greatest hits of elvis and attractions...and goodbye cruel world...the two songs off of that i love are" I wanna be loved" and " in a love feild"
I had that greatest hits on tape....and i wore it out. every song is wonderful...im gonna have to get the CD
Elvis' voice is so cool
for the longest time i thought he was american.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Elvis!

A great artist indeed.

I had his Very Best Of... (that 2CD version with the green cover) for a few years and really liked it, so about 18 months ago I got the reissued Trust and saw him in concert (on the North tour). To say I was blown aways would be an understatement. That man has so many great songs!
Over these past 18 months I got most of his (reissued) albums and in a way I can recommend them all to anyone. My Aim Is True is regarded as one of the best debut albums ever. This Year's Model is considered even better. And while they call Armed Forces his 'pop' album, it is nevertheless excellent (as is the bonus disc). Well, the original poster has already told about the musical encyclopedia that is Get Happy!! and the musical variety of Trust. The original Get Happy!! album is 20 tracks in 48 minutes! Not a second of superfluous music, not a note wasted, just tight songwriting and effective playing. And Trust has some wonderful ballads.

Imperial Bedroom is maybe my favourite Elvis Costello album. The lushness of that album really is amazing. I'm still in awe by the closing track, Town Cryer. And the bonus disc is (again) really interesting too. Blood & Chocolate is then really back to basics, just drums, bass, guitar and the piano/organ by the irreplaceable Steve Nieve. Raw, both in sound as in emotion, but another high point of Elvis' carreer. It has my favourite song on it - I Want You - plus 10 other great tracks. And that quality is again sustained on the bonus disc.

I also want to highlight his recent output as that is excellent too. 2002's When I Was Cruel saw him return to rock again and he did it all the way. That album is also loud! And last year's The Delivery Man is a bit more bluesy, with some wonderful duets with Emmylou Harris ( ) and Lucinda Williams. And excellent songs.

At the moment he's on tour with his band The Imposters (which is basically his old backing band The Attractions, but with a different bass player). If you can see him (look for dates on http://www.elviscostello.info ), go for it! Lately his setlists are rarely below the 30 songs and cover everything from his first album to his last and everything in between. And each night sees a completely different setlist.

Masterpiece?
Mastermind!

C ya!

Marty

P.S. My top 5 Elvis Costello songs (at the moment)
1. I Want You (from Blood & Chocolate)
2. New Amsterdam (from Get Happy!!)
3. Goon Squad (from Armed Forces)
4. Town Cryer (from Imperial Bedroom)
5. Tramp The Dirt Down (from Spike)
Old 04-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Elvis is a mortal God. I'm seeing him in Atlantic City this Saturday! Anyone else seeing him on tour this time around?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:23 AM

Old 04-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Nice work!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

the first time i saw elvis was in 1978.

db9
Old 04-21-2005, 02:48 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:23 PM
he's really someone I've always wanted to get into but never got round doing it

I know a bunch of you will want to post reccies but I probably won't get round to doing it until damn late so really don't bother

that said the stuff of his I know is all bloody brilliant. he's a great songwriter indeed.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Elvis is da man! He's great, and have I've seen him numerous times from the 80s to present time (even the American Express music funding for schools show at the HOB Hollywood). Hubby caught him in L.A. on 3/26/05 (same night as U2's rehearsal show that I didn't go to!). Hubby had one ticket - he was ranting and raving about the show (till this day!). John McVie (sp) came out and played. Hubby got a copy of this on cassette, but if anyone has a copy of this show on CD in any way, shape or form, I would love to do a bnp. That would score me some points
And yes, we do have the official DVD release that just came out from a Memphis show.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
War Child

Great songwriter, love his music.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:43 PM   #11
The Fly

Local Time: 08:23 AM
I saw him Sunday night at the Beale Street Music Festival in Memphis. David Hidalgo, the singer from Los Lobos, played back up guitar with him and sang a couple of his songs. He also brought an old blues guy up who had played with Howlin' Wolf; I believe his name was Hubert Sumlin. It was my first time seeing Elvis, and he put on an incredible show.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Love him.

Saw him live, was underwhelmed, but it was at a daytime music festival in TX summer weather.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

According to my Late Night W/Letterman newsletter:

Tuesday, June 6
Bonnie Hunt (Cars)
Elvis Costello & Allan Toussaint (CD, "The River in Reverse")
Old 06-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:23 PM
This weekend I bought tickets to see him in September. He'll again be playing with Het Metropole Orkest (the same big band/orchestra as is playing on his My Flame Burns Blue live record).
I can't wait to hear it!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:23 AM
Count me in too

He is fabulous beyond words