The eighth annual Wacky Warning Label Contest - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2005, 06:02 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:18 AM
The eighth annual Wacky Warning Label Contest

TOILET BRUSH THAT WARNS, “DO NOT USE FOR PERSONAL HYGIENE” WINS TOP PRIZE IN M-LAW’S EIGHTH ANNUAL WACKY WARNING LABEL CONTEST

Quote:
A flushable toilet brush that warns users, “Do not use for personal hygiene” has been identified as the nation’s wackiest warning label in an annual contest sponsored by a consumer watchdog group.

The Wacky Warning Label Contest, now in it’s eighth year, is conducted by Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch, M-LAW, to reveal how lawsuits, and concern about lawsuits, have created a need for common sense warnings on products.
Quote:
OTHER WINNERS.
The $250 second place award went to Matt Johnson of Naperville, Illinois for a label on a popular scooter for children that warns: “This product moves when used.”

Third place and $100 went to Ann Marie Taylor of Camden, South Carolina who found the following warning on a digital thermometer that can be used to take a person’s temperature several different ways: “Once used rectally, the thermometer should not be used orally.”

Fourth place was a label on an electric hand blender promoted for use in “blending, whipping, chopping and dicing,” that warns: “Never remove food or other items from the blades while the product is operating.” Sent in by Ken Stein of Berkeley, California.

In fifth place was a label on a nine- by three-inch bag of air used as packing material. It carries this warning: “Do not use this product as a toy, pillow, or flotation device.”Sent in by Christen Millard of Westerville, Ohio.
discuss!

Old 01-06-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:18 AM
I was using these stainless steel wipes a couple of days ago and it said "do not use for personal hygiene"

Old 01-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:18 AM
majority likes toilet humor which is the kind of disgusting
Old 01-07-2005, 04:59 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Only two replies, maybe I need an example of a silly lawsuit to get things going.

NBC's 'Fear Factor' Sued for Rat-Eating Episode

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Watching contestants eat dead rats on NBC's gross-out stunt show "Fear Factor" so disgusted a Cleveland man that he has sued NBC for $2.5 million, saying he could not stomach what he saw.

In a handwritten four-page lawsuit filed in federal court in Cleveland on Tuesday, paralegal Austin Aitken said, "To have the individuals on the show eat (yes) and drink dead rats was crazy and from a viewer's point of view made me throw-up as well an another in the house at the same time."

His suit added, "NBC is sending the wrong message to its TV watchers that cash can make or have people do just about anything beyond reasoning (sic) and in most cases against their will."

He said the show caused his blood pressure to rise so high that he became dizzy and light-headed, and when he ran away to his room, he bumped his head into the doorway.

In a brief telephone interview with Reuters, Aitken said, "I am not at liberty to discuss the complaint unless it is a paid-interview situation."

A spokesman for "Fear Factor" said the show would have no comment until it sees a copy of the complaint. The spokesman said the program did feature a rat-eating scene in New York's Times Square on Nov. 8.

Over the years, contestants on the program have eaten some weird things, including ground-up spiders and live worms.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:03 AM   #5
you are what you is

NBC is sending the wrong message

top thread teeth
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-07-2005, 05:34 AM   #6
New Yorker

i got a gift set that included a candle in it for christmas - stuck across the candle was a warning that said
"may cause fire if lit"
Old 01-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
Acrobat

marks and spencers peanuts... the bag says "may contain traces of nut"

you would hope it contains more than traces!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

I didn't see this, or else I would have replied.

Fear Factor
Old 01-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:18 AM
as for the fear factor lawsuit--hello, turn the telly off or just change the channel. not such a difficult solution.

on a more serious note, it is disturbing what some people will do for a shot at $50 000.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:18 AM
The best one I heard of (but have not seen personally) was a friend who worked at a comic book store. They received X-Men rings to sell as collector things...

They came with warning labels:
"Will not cause user to fly."

They really ought to leave them off, we need to decrease the surplus population.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Old 01-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:18 AM
Quote - "In fifth place was a label on a nine- by three-inch bag of air used as packing material. It carries this warning: “Do not use this product as a toy, pillow, or flotation device.”Sent in by Christen Millard of Westerville, Ohio." - Quote

Nearly as bad as yesterday's Channel 7 reporter; "If you happen to fall in the LA River during this rainstorm, look for a milk carton to use as a floatation device!"

WTF
Old 01-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41
The best one I heard of (but have not seen personally) was a friend who worked at a comic book store. They received X-Men rings to sell as collector things...

They came with warning labels:
"Will not cause user to fly."

They really ought to leave them off, we need to decrease the surplus population.