the drugs dont work and various verve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
just tell me how good are these mellow fellows from england?

too bad (its too bad its too bad its too late too bad!!!!!!!!) they are known as 1 hit wonders in north america. we suck.

anyone else fans of richard ashcroft/the verve?

The Verve were brilliant...don't care for Richard Ashcroft's stuff so much.

A Northern Soul and Urban Hymns should be owned by everyone. Their first album A Storm in Heven is good also, if a little more atmospheric...

I LOVE THE VERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of my favorite songs ever is lucky man. and im liking his solo work a bit to. i haven't got human conditions yet but i have the single for check the meaning and i think it's great.

I've got "Urban Hymns"; in fact I've listened to it from start to finish for the first time today and liked it a lot. "Sonnet" in particular.

My only little peeve though is that, with a lot of songs, I often got a feeling that they didn't really know how to finish them off, so they just let it drag on and on until somebody sort of decides to hit a "fade out" button.

Saracene said:
I've got "Urban Hymns"; in fact I've listened to it from start to finish for the first time today and liked it a lot. "Sonnet" in particular.

My only little peeve though is that, with a lot of songs, I often got a feeling that they didn't really know how to finish them off, so they just let it drag on and on until somebody sort of decides to hit a "fade out" button.

yeah, I love urban hymns, but on alot of the songs I'll forward over the last minute of the tunes, because they're so damn long.
my fav's are sonnet, bittersweet symphony, drugs don't work, lucky man, and space and time.

The Verve were at one time the great white hope for English rock and roll, but nowadays we have to settle for that silly bearded twat from the Sooty the puppet dog show.

'History' was a pretty great song off the Northern Soul album... 'the bed's full of hope, got a skin full of dope' or something to that effect. I think on the whole Urban Hymns was more melodic and more fully-realised than its predecessor. If A Northern Soul was the Unforgettable Fire... well you get the idea.

Another oft-repeated anecdote of mine - when I first heard 'Bittersweet Symphony' in 1997 I thought to myself 'is that Oasis? Nah, too good...'

Another great anecdote: when one of the appalling Gallaghers heard about The Drugs Don't Work, he said 'Richard obviously isn't taking the right drugs, cause the thing is Richard, the drugs DO work - that's why we take them.' Sadly he was quite correct. The drugs DO work and recent Oasis material is living proof of this fact.

Lucky Man is fantastic. Catching the Butterfly is also fantastic. The Rolling People is also fantastic and the whole album (Urban hymns) is worth it just for that orgasmic guitar solo alone (and I don't generally hang much value on guitar solos).

Richard Ashcroft solo on the other hand does not greatly impress me. He seems to be a fairly complacent, vaguely druggy AOR artist in the Sting mould (though slightly better).

what could have been...Urban Hymes was a perfect~and beautiful fade out..aside from the great songs like History, On Your Own, Sonnet, Drugs Don't Work etc...they released some fantastic B-Side and early EP material like See The Door, So Sister, Virtual World, Never Wanna See You Cry, Where The Geese Go, and one of my favourite epics within their early work..She's A Superstar..all nine minutes worth

Back
Top Bottom