the dream theater appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think i'd rather have a power drill to the achilles tendon or stick my elbow in a blender

basically there isn't anything about them that i do like. i don't like the fact that the songs are 30 years long, in particular.

technically they're the musical perfection (in my opinion ;) ) about the lenght of the songs, ok, there are many which are too long, but you never get bored because they're "progressive", you know what i mean...3/4, 4/4, 6/8, double pedal, continous change of time, sweep, absurd solos, fingerpicking, lots of scales...and so on and so on...just for example...dream theater is an orchestra not a band, they're masters (in my opinion ;) )

babyman said:
technically they're the musical perfection (in my opinion ;) ) about the lenght of the songs, ok, there are many which are too long, but you never get bored because they're "progressive", you know what i mean...3/4, 4/4, 6/8, double pedal, continous change of time, sweep, absurd solos, fingerpicking, lots of scales...and so on and so on...just for example...dream theater is an orchestra not a band, they're masters (in my opinion ;) )

i don't really like solos. i'm not going to say i hate all solos, but usually anything over than 30 seconds starts to make me cringe.

i do get bored because while there are all sorts of things happening in the music, i don't care. that doesn't grab me like a good 2 minute punk song might.

eh...

it's just my music taste. props to you if you like 'em, ain't my cup of tea.

please educate me. i haven't heard of dream theatre outside interference and depending on who is talking, this is either a blessing or a crime.

anyways, iwb's commentary in here is worth a logie even if they are god's gift to everyone's eardrums but mine.
:up:

IWasBored said:

i don't really like solos. i'm not going to say i hate all solos, but usually anything over than 30 seconds starts to make me cringe.

i do get bored because while there are all sorts of things happening in the music, i don't care. that doesn't grab me like a good 2 minute punk song might.

eh...

it's just my music taste. props to you if you like 'em, ain't my cup of tea.

sure :up: ;)

Angela Harlem said:
please educate me.

the most acclaimed metal progressive band in the world was formed in 1985 by berklee college of music and was called majesty. john petrucci, NY(guitar player), john myung, CHI(bass player) mike portnoy, NY(drummer) the trio subsequently enlisted ols schoolfriend kevin moore (keyboards) and vocalist chris collins and began to record demos. along with a contract with MCA records, they also secured the services of vocalist charlie dominici. their debut album (1989) showcased material incorporating elements of Rush, Queensryche and yngwie malmsteen. dynamic, multi-faceted songs, characterized by countless slick time changes and impeccable musicianship are the band's trademark. dismayed at the poor album sales, MCA terminated (with a lot of shrewdness ;) ) their contract and dominici quit shortly afterwards. a rigorous auditioning process began to find a new singer. the winning candidate was canadian james labrie, formerly of winter rose. their 90s albums saw them regain their initial momentum, with both mainstream and metal critics acknowledging their fluency in meshing a variety of styles around a hard rock core. moore left the band after the recording of AWAKE and was replaced by derek sherinian. after the release of FALLING INTO INFINITY sherinian was replaced by jordan rudess
albums: 1989 when dream and day unite
1992 images and words
1993 live at the marquee
1994 awake
1995 a change of seasons
1997 falling into infinity
1998 once in a livetime
1999 scenes from a memory
2001 live scenes from new york
2002 six degrees of inner turbulence
2003 train of thought

they're the most appreciated musicians in their genre, they did even a few U2 covers like bad and red hill mining town and U2 are one of their favourite bands...just listen to they angela i recommend to you these songs: hollow years, wait for sleep, anna lee, take away my pain, through her eyes, another day, the silent man...and many many other!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

I haven't heard much of them but I hear they're good and I'm going to check them out. I LOVE prog rock, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, old Genesis, Brian Eno.

U2Kitten said:
I haven't heard much of them but I hear they're good and I'm going to check them out. I LOVE prog rock, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, old Genesis, Brian Eno.

oh yes, kitten, you won't repent! ;) check the songs which i signaled angela harlem...simply wonderful;)

haha, so i said i didn't like solos but for some reason i find myself listening to g'nr--sweet child o mine. :huh:

i...uh...am...losing my credibility....:wink:

angie, what's a 'logie'?

u2kitten: your PM box is full. i tried to reply to your PM and my reply came back

boomerang. huzzah!

Grr, it only said 40% :banghead: But it's done this before. I'll go empty something :sigh:

haha thanks babyman. i tried using my Nifty Tool For Aquiring Without Purchase, but as soon as i typed in dream theater, it crashed. :huh:

a logie is an australian tv award thing, like an oscar, but not really. yours was for Best Commentary on a Highly Contentious Band.

:wink:

the most acclaimed metal progressive band in the world was formed in 1985 by berklee college of music and was called majesty. john petrucci, NY(guitar player), john myung, CHI(bass player) mike portnoy, NY(drummer) the trio subsequently enlisted ols schoolfriend kevin moore (keyboards)

despite the fact that myung (who was born in chicago but moved to long island as a kid), petrucci and moore all graduated from kings park high school on long island... just like a certain legendary interference stud poster did... no names mentioned of course :wink::wink:
... i do not like them... for the reasons that IWB already stated. they try too hard to be innovative :shrug: just my own personal opinion.

and ironicly the three dream theatre guys were also in the same graduating class with future major league baseball hall of famer craig biggio of the houston astros.
AACZ022.jpg

this episode of kings park trivia has been brought to you by headache in a suitcase.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

despite the fact that myung (who was born in chicago but moved to long island as a kid), petrucci and moore all graduated from kings park high school on long island...

i'm sorry, but you're wrong, headache
;) john petrucci was born in long island, but he , john myung and mike portnoy attended the berklee school of music in boston, they became there the band

babyman said:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

despite the fact that myung (who was born in chicago but moved to long island as a kid), petrucci and moore all graduated from kings park high school on long island...

i'm sorry, but you're wrong, headache
;) john petrucci was born in long island, but he , john myung and mike portnoy attended the berklee school of music in boston, they became there the band

i'm sorry, but you're wrong, babyman
;) berklee school of music in boston is a college, and that is indeed where they first formed a band... however, i was talking about where they went to high school, which was in fact kings park high school.

this is from the bio on "the official john pertucci web site"

John grew up on Long Island, Kings Park to be exact, where he, John Myung & Kevin Moore all attended school together. He started playing guitar at the age of 12 (After a brief fling at age 8 when he noticed his sister got to stay up late for her organ lessons. His little plan didn?t work out being that his guitar lesson was after school, and soon lost interest.) He quickly realized his influences and was determined to reach their level of ability. Some early influences include Yngwie Malmsteen, Randy Rhoads, Iron Maiden, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Yes, Rush etc. As the rise of thrash & metal hit John expanded his influences to include bands like Metallica & Queensryche. Needing more of a technical challenge, his fingers demanded adapting the hammering speed & melodic style of players such as the Steves (Steve Morse & Steve Vai), the Als (Allan Holdsworth & Al DiMeola), Mike Stern, Joe Satriani, Neal Schon & Eddie Van Halen.

His musical education began with a great music theory class he took in high school. Being primarily self taught, he did receive a few lessons when he attended Berklee College of Music in Boston, where he learned jazz composition and harmony. While at Berklee John and John Myung who was also attending, met Mike Portnoy and started a band called Majesty which would later turn into Dream Theater. John has recorded 7 albums with Dream Theater, and has also been involved in several side projects including Liquid Tension Experiment with Tony Levin, Age of Impact and even a Sega Saturn game called Necronomicon. His love for lyric writing combined with his unique composing style of progressive fusion shape the sound of Dream Theater. For a complete listing of his recordings check out his discography. John lives with his wife, Rena, and 3 children, SamiJo, Reny and Kiara in New York. When he?s not playing guitar he spends most of his time with his wife and children inline skating, biking, working out and watching movies.

here's the link to the page...
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/bio.html

thanks again for playing, you'll leave with some lovely parting gifts, including the kings park trivia home version!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom