The Doors -- defining "ahead of their time"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
It's almost hard to believe that the majority of The Doors' work came out in the 60s. They sound decidedly 70s, if not with a hint of 80s or early-mid-90s vibe (save for the organ, of course). The whole feel of the music makes them, for me, the definitive band for the phrase "ahead of their time."

There's nothing like sitting on a warm sunny day with the windows open and The Doors filling the house (like I'm doing now)....:up:

Utoo said:
if not with a hint of 80s or early-mid-90s vibe (save for the organ, of course).

Really? :scratch: What songs or albums exactly?

I only have the first one and Morrison Hotel and know hits from other albums.

The Doors' debut has got to be one of the greatest albums ever. On top of that, they left off quite a few gems for inclusion on the follow-up, Strange Days, which is also superb. From there, consistency was a problem, but the classic songs continued to mount.

I don't understand the phrase "ahead of their time".

If a band is called that because their music fits in a later era, wouldn't it be because that band influenced said era?

LemonMacPhisto said:

If a band is called that because their music fits in a later era, wouldn't it be because that band influenced said era?

...and so if the Doors were from the 80's, that would make them their own grandfathers?

LemonMacPhisto said:

I've never understood it either...

theoriginal said:

...and so if the Doors were from the 80's, that would make them their own grandfathers?

When I was with my friend at Starbucks a few weeks ago, they were selling a Doors greatest hits CD, and she goes "The Doors...They're from the 80s right?" I told her, "Yes, they really hit their stride after Jim Morrison died in 1971.":happy: :|

To which I was then asked "Who's Jim Morrison?" :banghead:

Anyway, I love The Doors. It's a shame Jim Morrison's life ended so tragically. I would have loved to have heard more from him and them. They had a sound that really was different compared to popular music of the time.

U2isthebest said:

When I was with my friend at Starbucks a few weeks ago, they were selling a Doors greatest hits CD, and she goes "The Doors...They're from the 80s right?" I told her, "Yes, they really hit their stride after Jim Morrison died in 1971.":happy: :|

To which I was then asked "Who's Jim Morrison?" :banghead:

That's just sad, makes me weep for the future of youth :wink: At least she doesn't think Val Kilmer is Jim Morrison.

When I was a teenager I was reading No One Here Gets Out Alive. Maybe they should teach the history of rock and roll in high school as a required course.

MrsSpringsteen said:

That's just sad, makes me weep for the future of youth :wink: At least she doesn't think Val Kilmer is Jim Morrison.

When I was a teenager I was reading No One Here Gets Out Alive. Maybe they should teach the history of rock and roll in high school as a required course.

I wish they would've.:drool: That would have made me actually do something as a senior last year.:wink: And yes, my friends, are that endearing type of people that think "Fergalicious" is one of the greatest songs in the world.:sad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom