The Difference Between Coldplay And Oasis, LOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is a waste of a thread, I realize, but I had to laugh 'cause it's true...

Excerpt from Alexis Petridis
Friday August 16, 2002
The Guardian:

"When Coldplay began their recent Glastonbury performance with Politik, the audience roared as if the band were playing their biggest hit. That same bizarre sense of instant familiarity is all over A Rush of Blood to the Head: you feel you already know and like these songs the first time you hear them. The last band to pull off this remarkable feat was Oasis. But you immediately knew and liked their songs because they had pinched them. Here, it is all down to beautifully crafted songwriting and an all-pervading aura of warm inclusiveness. The listener is drawn straight in by the well-worn eastern guitar motifs of Daylight or the simple melody of In My Place...."

Dunno, a lot of people accuse Coldplay for pinching sounds and songs from Radiohead, U2, Verve etc. Especially at the time when their first album was released; if you charged a dollar every time Radiohead was mentioned in the reviews you'd be sitting on a pile of gold.

i LOVE coldplay!!!!!!!

but the first time i heard god put a smile upon your face i immediately thought that they must have nicked a radiohead song. it's a great song...one of my favs from them....but it really sounds like a radiohead song.

yes oasis nick parts of songs all the time. they use them to make great songs. noel doesn't try to hide it. he freely admits to it. what's the big deal.

the press just feels the need to slag oasis again cause its the thing to do. just like the thing to do is to make coldplay the best band that ever stepped foot on this earth. they are an amazing band IMO but it seems that everyone and they're dog is jumping on the bandwagon to praise coldplay.

when was the last time you heard someone say they were shit in the press. i can't remember. i know that somewhere, someone doesn't like them and maybe even hates them, but you don't hear that in the press cause it's not the cool thing to think.

in a few years when everything blows over, the press will find someone new to praise and coldplay will be back to being a great band that sound like radiohead in the press again. it happens to a lot of great bands including oasis and U2 (who still get slagged for POP even thought i think it's a great album) and it will sadly happen to coldplay as well. :sad:

sorry for the :rant: im a huge fan of both oasis and coldplay and i hate when stupid journalist slag either of them off.

Indeed, a lot of it comes down to the ever fickle world of pop cultural commentary aka music reviewers. Astute observers would note that it is now uncool to like Radiohead, as well as Oasis and innumerable others. This is because music reviews aren't really about music, they are about people trying to catch the zeitgeist. Since we live in dangerous uncertain times, it seems that the 'in' music is the simple no-nonsense 'rawk' that just appeals to the urge to party hard.

None of which has anything to do with Coldplay of course, just my two cents. My own take is that they do not, and never did, sound one iota like Radiohead. Any resemblence between Radiohead and other vaguely Brit-poppish bands ended around the time of The Bends. Chances are they are worthy of the accolades but I guarantee that three years from now it will be desperately uncool to like Coldplay. Irrespective of whether they have grown even better in the intervening time. Meanwhile Radiohead will come back into favour with an upbeat album of Andrew WK-style 'party hard' anthems in which Thom Yorke whimpers softly about imaginary slaughterhouses.

Kieran McConville said:
Indeed, a lot of it comes down to the ever fickle world of pop cultural commentary aka music reviewers. Astute observers would note that it is now uncool to like Radiohead, as well as Oasis and innumerable others. This is because music reviews aren't really about music, they are about people trying to catch the zeitgeist. Since we live in dangerous uncertain times, it seems that the 'in' music is the simple no-nonsense 'rawk' that just appeals to the urge to party hard.

None of which has anything to do with Coldplay of course, just my two cents. My own take is that they do not, and never did, sound one iota like Radiohead. Any resemblence between Radiohead and other vaguely Brit-poppish bands ended around the time of The Bends. Chances are they are worthy of the accolades but I guarantee that three years from now it will be desperately uncool to like Coldplay. Irrespective of whether they have grown even better in the intervening time. Meanwhile Radiohead will come back into favour with an upbeat album of Andrew WK-style 'party hard' anthems in which Thom Yorke whimpers softly about imaginary slaughterhouses.
I must say, I do like your style.

Back
Top Bottom