The Devlins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Is anyone here a fan of this band? I've wanted to get one of their albums or at least learn a little more about them since my name is Devlin. Anyway, recommendations, thoughts?

Thanks

never heard of them.

from allmusic.com (which you probably already read but i'll post it anyway):

With their brogue-tinged harmonies set to acoustic-based melodies, Colin and Peter Devlin continue to build on the success of their alt-rock duo, the Devlins. Their 1993 debut album, Drift, produced by Daniel Lanois and recorded in Lanois' New Orleans studio, showed hints of their ability to craft a hook-laden tune, while their sophomore effort, Waiting, which achieved gold status four years later, marked them as one of Ireland's best acts. Moving to an old country house in Kinsale, County Cork, in early 1999, the Dublin-born brothers set up their own studio and recorded their third album, Consent, their first attempt at producing and engineering themselves. Released in early 2002, the album was mostly mixed by Mark Hawley and Marcel Van Limbeek of Tori Amos' production team.

I saw them in Ireland back in '98, then opening for Tori Amos that same year. I really liked the albums Drift and Waiting, but Consent is just...well...laughable in some ways. Meegannie and I cracked up when we heard the title track. It's just....not so sure about it... I haven't heard anything newer.

jkayet said:
I saw them in Ireland back in '98, then opening for Tori Amos that same year. I really liked the albums Drift and Waiting, but Consent is just...well...laughable in some ways. Meegannie and I cracked up when we heard the title track. It's just....not so sure about it... I haven't heard anything newer.

"Well, I guess I need your consent" :lmao:

I also saw them with Tori Amos. I own "Waiting." Very pretty guitars, nice vocals, a few slightly rocking songs. I'd say this album is at least worth picking up used somewhere if you'd like to hear them.

I am COMPLETELY a fan. I recommend any of their albums. Waiting is my favourite, but if you want to cover all the seasons - I would say start with the spring (Drift) then move onto summer with Waves, autumn will be Waiting and in the winter delve into Consent. Just to give yourself enough time to absorb it all. They're currently working on the next album, can't wait to let it fill all my seasons.

Nate Dogg said:
They do a pretty good cover of Love Is Blindness, but that's all I know about them...

A cover I still haven't heard. :( It's available through iTunes Europe and I have no idea how I could access that. If anyone knows, please share the secrets. I have access to a version with Sharon Corr and the Devlins but I'm not ready to give in to it yet.

violetfly said:

A cover I still haven't heard. :( It's available through iTunes Europe and I have no idea how I could access that. If anyone knows, please share the secrets. I have access to a version with Sharon Corr and the Devlins but I'm not ready to give in to it yet.

I think I like it. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom