The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread Pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for listening, Reggo, glad you liked it.

And there really was no concept, which makes the title of my playlist ironic.

I've never fully quite understood why people adore Okkervil River. They're alright. I definitely like the Spoon, CCR, Elvis trio. Something I'm noticing is that all of these songs are relatively at the same level, volume-wise. How'd you manage that, Phanan? Is there some sort of volume editing software where you can make all the songs the same level?

Since newer songs tend to be louder, I try to find remastered versions of older songs when I can, so that the volume level doesn't change too much.

Having said that, it doesn't happen every time. You many have noticed after your comment how the Bruce song was nowhere near the same level as Elvis or CCR, which is because, while the previous two songs are much older, they've been remastered and sound fantastic, while Bruce's catalog has yet to get an upgrade apart from compilations.

Ride Captain Ride by Blues Image is another one, and because they were a one hit wonder, it probably won't get remastered anytime soon unless it appears on some new compilation that sounds better.

So the trio of Bruce, Beatles, and Blues Image went down, then up, then back down again. I couldn't do anything about it, but hopefully it wasn't too bad.

Sounds like you enjoyed the list, though. :up:

I'll be listening to LMP's list today if all works out.

However, the running diary might be condensed for later as we have an out of office event this afternoon in Boston. Which means I'll probably be listening to most of it during the ride to and from. But I'll still post my thoughts afterwards.

Working on my DI-6 list right now. Here's how it looks so far:

1. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
2. Werewolves Of London - Warren Zevon
3. All Summer Long - Kid Rock
4. Summer Girls - LFO
5. The Reason - Hoobastank
6. Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's
7. I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry
8. Gimme More - Britney Spears

Nice. :lol:

I've completed the first part to LMP's list. Hopefully I'll get through the second section before we leave.

As for the first section, the songs went together incredibly well. I think the only transition that was a bit rough was obvious, as the ending to David Bowie's I'm Afraid Of Americans gets cut off, but I'm sure you realize that already.

The only two songs I didn't care for were Beck and Bowie, but the rest were fantastic. I like how you started out with Hot Chip.

On to Part Two.

I've commented on Comfy In Nautica with GAF's list. It's the only halfway decent song from that album, so it's bearable. It makes for a good opening track to the section, though.

Ah, King Crimson. :up: Although since it takes a while before the song kicks in, it creates a lull between the songs. It works much better as an opener somewhere.

Didn't know the Mingus song, but it flowed well with the horns from King Crimson. It sounded like it skipped towards the end - was that just me? The song itself didn't do much for me.

Into I Am The Walrus was cool.

And a nice segue into Thom Yorke. On paper, I wasn't sure how that one would go, but it went well.

The flow continues to be exceptional with this. Excellent sequencing so far.

One Of These Mornings followed, and while this version is good, I prefer the original.

Nice move into Killer. That's two playlists that Seal has made this time out. Not bad.

Zaar is an awesome instrumental. That whole album is very good.

And the transition to Please was fantastic. If you have to pick an official version of that song, you have to go with the single version.

Well, I'm halfway done, and so far, so good. Don't know if I'll get to the rest during the ride or not - that will depend on how often I get interrupted. But I'll finish tomorrow easily if that's the case.

Listening to Zoot's now while I attempt to do Latin

I like the theme, but I don't know if a lot of the music will really be my style. Didn't care much for Prince, but the INXS ended nicely. I'm not really into this Kiss Them For Me song.

So Part One of Hardy's list was a really fun little collection of classic 60's pop tunes and I really dug it.

On to Part Two, and opening track by King Missile - a band who is most famous for a song called Detachable Penis. And this track sounded a lot like that one actually. Goofy spoken word stuff.

Now I'm on the Mott the Hoople song and it's sounding good. I can't help but think of the R.E.M. lyric - Mott the Hoople and the Game of Life yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Andy Kaufmann in the wrestling match yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Alright, I got sidetracked for a moment but I'm back to Hardy's list...

The Roxy Music song was ok. But I just got through the power classic-rock trio of Hendrix, Zeppelin, and the Stones. And they were all three amongst my favorite songs by those artists. Awesome.

So... did you get thru the whole list? :sexywink:

Justify My Love is alright...it certainly fits with the mood of the playlist

Words so Leisured = acoustic version of Darts of Pleasure :hmm: I prefer the original

Wicked Game is actually a decent song. I used to hear it a lot on the radio, long ago.

Working on my DI-6 list right now. Here's how it looks so far:

1. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
2. Werewolves Of London - Warren Zevon
3. All Summer Long - Kid Rock
4. Summer Girls - LFO
5. The Reason - Hoobastank
6. Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's
7. I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry
8. Gimme More - Britney Spears

The first three cracked me up.

Nice. :lol:

I've completed the first part to LMP's list. Hopefully I'll get through the second section before we leave.

As for the first section, the songs went together incredibly well. I think the only transition that was a bit rough was obvious, as the ending to David Bowie's I'm Afraid Of Americans gets cut off, but I'm sure you realize that already.

The only two songs I didn't care for were Beck and Bowie, but the rest were fantastic. I like how you started out with Hot Chip.

On to Part Two.

Yeah, I tried to work around that as much as possible, but it still stands out. Thanks.

I've commented on Comfy In Nautica with GAF's list. It's the only halfway decent song from that album, so it's bearable. It makes for a good opening track to the section, though.

Ah, King Crimson. :up: Although since it takes a while before the song kicks in, it creates a lull between the songs. It works much better as an opener somewhere.

Didn't know the Mingus song, but it flowed well with the horns from King Crimson. It sounded like it skipped towards the end - was that just me? The song itself didn't do much for me.

Into I Am The Walrus was cool.

And a nice segue into Thom Yorke. On paper, I wasn't sure how that one would go, but it went well.

The King Crimson track almost started off the second section, but I liked the Gorillaz -> Panda Bear transition too much to part with it. The Mingus track does skip for whatever reason. I bought it off of iTunes and it still sounded that way, so who knows?

The flow continues to be exceptional with this. Excellent sequencing so far.

One Of These Mornings followed, and while this version is good, I prefer the original.

Nice move into Killer. That's two playlists that Seal has made this time out. Not bad.

Zaar is an awesome instrumental. That whole album is very good.

And the transition to Please was fantastic. If you have to pick an official version of that song, you have to go with the single version.

Well, I'm halfway done, and so far, so good. Don't know if I'll get to the rest during the ride or not - that will depend on how often I get interrupted. But I'll finish tomorrow easily if that's the case.

That's cool, I just love what Patti LaBelle's vocals add to the whole thing. And it's from a soundtrack, so take points off for my lack of creativity.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed the first half so far. I say this every time, but looking back on it, I prefer the 2nd half. No harm done if you delay it a bit.

Justify My Love is alright...it certainly fits with the mood of the playlist

Words so Leisured = acoustic version of Darts of Pleasure :hmm: I prefer the original

Finally somebody that likes Justify My Love! :lol: :applaud:

Words so leisured is a B-side on the Take Me Out single. You don't think it's sexy? :wink:

The first three cracked me up.

Good flow eh?

Words so leisured is a B-side on the Take Me Out single. You don't think it's sexy? :wink:

It's decent. It's sexier than Darts of Pleasure I suppose, although I think upbeat stuff can still be sexy.

You know what song you should have used on here? Venus in Furs by The Velvet Underground. Would have fit perfectly.

I'm actually liking this section a lot. Springsteen was good and I dig Nights in White Satin (first heard that song in my History of Rock in the 70's and 80's class :D ) I enjoyed Depeche Mode a lot too

Enigma...eh. S'ok. A lot of this stuff just isn't my style. the flow's been great so far though

Fuck that shit, it needs a concept. A CONCEPT... based off of a string of popular films and/or actual events.

I got it!!! The concept is... that there is no concept!!1

You know what song you should have used on here? Venus in Furs by The Velvet Underground. Would have fit perfectly.

Dunno that one. I don't know much VU.

So far, I've listened to eleven twelve lists besides my own. Here's how I'm currently ranking them.

1. Phanan
2. (tie) Axver, LMP
4. LemonMelon
5. GAF
6. (tie) Mr. V, Atomic Bono
8. (tie) PFan, Bono_212
10. (3-way tie) Zoots, Khan, DOL13.

So far, I've listened to eleven twelve lists besides my own. Here's how I'm currently ranking them.

1. Phanan
2. (tie) Axver, LMP
4. LemonMelon
5. GAF
8. (tie) PFan, Bono_212

yayy I'm not on the very bottom :lol:

I'm on the last song of the first disc now. I really like the bassline.

1. Phanan
2. (tie) Axver, LMP
4. LemonMelon
5. GAF
8. (tie) PFan, Bono_212

Cool beans, mine so far:

El-Mel
Pfan
impy
GAF
Tourist
AB
Zoots
Screw

and I've enjoyed all of the so far, so that's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom