The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread Pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, did I just say "ooh, Genesis" in reference to Phail Collins?

:shrug:

Well, I do like this one from them. One of the two I can stand, so there's that. and, of course, now i'm thinking of Patrick Bateman. Go my random-ass brain. :rolleyes:

Pfan, I know I'm being silly, but I really do like your list and I'm not meaning to cause offense or anything. I'm just typing what pops into my head. Maybe I should stop that.

I don't listen to The Police for just anyone, Pfan. *listens begrudgingly* Flows well from Genesis. I can see your strategy here. Still, I can't stand Sting's voice. I want to plug his nose so he can't sing thru it anymore.

Josie - Steely Dan: Now I can't say I've heard a Steely Dan song and consciously known it's Steely Dan, so I don't have an opinion beside the one George Carlin tried to form for me. I'm thinking George was wrong. Very good song.

Steely Dan reminds me of Disco Stu for some reason. No idea why. Probably the same reason I thought of Pat when I was listening to Genesis. Random brain.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day - Chicago. I like Chicago, and I didn't know the name of this song before now. Good following Steely Dan.

Life And How to Live it - R.E.M.

it's occurred to me, 27 songs into this, that I've missed the concept Horatio was referring to on the cover. I'll spare you the illogical diatribe i could go off on about Horatio, as in the character from Hamlet, but I don't have the energy. Or any solid ideas to babble about.

but anyway, R.E.M. following Chicago. I never thought it'd work, but it does. I like R.E.M. I should've put them on mine.

Alright, I haven't seen Hardy around the boards in forever so there's a good chance he won't ever even see this running diary but I'm going to do one for his list tonight.

Lila, if you somehow wander into this thread or something...just lettin you know I'm listenin to his now. I thought I'd do Hardy's tonight because it looked like a fun list. And, honestly, that little write-up that he made about you and Maddy and how he added some songs onto his list because Maddy loves those songs...well that was just beautiful. Seriously.

First track - Everly Brothers

Wow! I've heard this song a million times but never put a name to it. Love it.

Here Comes The Sun - George Harrison The Beatles (practically George solo)

It's the Fabs, what can I say? :shrug: Can't slag them off, unlike some people around here. *points to sig*

hey, RegularBonoFan :wave:

Looks like we're gonna be doing running diaries at the same time. It's gonna be crazy!

Alright back to Hardy's list, same goes for both the Music Explosion and Beach Boys tracks...flat-out classics. This is a great 60's start to the list. :up:

Mine's got 2 more songs and then it's done :lol: Well, Pfan's.

Alright, same with the Beatles and Doors songs...you can't go wrong with these. Classic 60's rock and roll.

Tangled Up In Blue - Bob Dylan: Dylan. He's...Dylan. One of his more random songs. I like randomness...as you might have noticed...:shifty:

Ok, Strange Brew was a good one and here comes Substitute by the Who.

The Who are one of my all-time favorite bands and I prefer their 60's stuff to anything and, actually, this is one of my favorites. So...yeah...good choice here.

"I look all white but my Dad was black"

"Substitute my Coke for Gin"

See Emily Play is one of the catchiest things Pink Floyd ever did and I've always liked it.

Here's an Elton John song I've never heard and I like it so far.

Broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooce!

Racing In The Streets: Good closer. I thought this song would be more upbeat, but I was wrong, lol.

So, all in all, I give it a 9/10.

I hope you interpret all my silliness as being in a good mood and honestly enjoying your list, Pfan.

Listening to Phanan's list. So far the songs by...

Dire Straights (fucking epic song)
Rush (didn't really care for this song as well, but good placement)
The Police (generally am not a fan of the band, but the song was above average)
Chalk Farm (loved the guitar sound in the song)
Live (generally dislike Live, but the song was probably the best song I've ever heard by them)
The Caulfields (pretty good song)
Oasis (great segue, good to hear something other than Wonderwall in a playlist)
U2 (worked really well right there)
Death Cab For Cutie (the song was pretty good, generally not much of a fan of their music, though)
Better Than Ezra (the first track I really just didn't like)
Editors (I love this song!)
Elbow (a different kind of epic--I dig it)

and now I've caught up. :wink:

So Part One of Hardy's list was a really fun little collection of classic 60's pop tunes and I really dug it.

On to Part Two, and opening track by King Missile - a band who is most famous for a song called Detachable Penis. And this track sounded a lot like that one actually. Goofy spoken word stuff.

Now I'm on the Mott the Hoople song and it's sounding good. I can't help but think of the R.E.M. lyric - Mott the Hoople and the Game of Life yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Andy Kaufmann in the wrestling match yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

The Notwist song was excellent. I'm on the M83 song now and must say that this is the best song I've ever heard, that I didn't already know, in a Desert Island competition. :drool: :needsalbum:

Once a slice of the moon has been delivered to one's ear, it's difficult to follow said slice--even a grand song becomes mediocre. The Goldfrapp track was above average--only the second song I've heard by her (the other being Pilots Shooting Stars, which I adore). I'm on the Pink Floyd tribute section of thre Dirty Vegas song. It's another above average song. So far, there's only been one song I actively dislike, which may be a record for me, if it ends that way.

Alright, I got sidetracked for a moment but I'm back to Hardy's list...

The Roxy Music song was ok. But I just got through the power classic-rock trio of Hendrix, Zeppelin, and the Stones. And they were all three amongst my favorite songs by those artists. Awesome.

The Offspring track gave me a laugh. Slade reminded me of good old fashioned butt-rock, which I grew up on and love. Then there was Kasabian, who I'm not quite sure what to think of--I saw them live and they were ridiculously good, but none of the albums have captured that so far. But I like it nonetheless. And who can go wrong with Led Zeppelin? I'm on the Golden Earring song right now. It's average. I don't dislike it, but I don't feel like it's grabbed me.

Universally Speaking sounds like a Golden Oldie. Everything from the chorus, to the mellotron, to the crackle sound as if it was ripped from vinyl. Love it, love it, love it.

I've never fully quite understood why people adore Okkervil River. They're alright. I definitely like the Spoon, CCR, Elvis trio. Something I'm noticing is that all of these songs are relatively at the same level, volume-wise. How'd you manage that, Phanan? Is there some sort of volume editing software where you can make all the songs the same level?

The Springsteen song was alright. I'm not really a fan, but it's not all that bad. Love the Beatles track, and the Blues Image song was quite good.

The Gerry Raferty song was good, but I felt it dragged a little bit at this point. The Shins, however, more than make up for that with sheer gorgeousness.

This Bloc Party song is a really, really, really good motivator to listen to one of their albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom