The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread Pt 3 (NO LINKS!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and YLB, your list was damn good. I'd rank it right about even with the LM list. The fourth disc in particular stood out.

Thank you, would you rank it towards the top of my other lists as well?

The 4th section is my favorite, too.

Your thoughts on "The Goat Song"?

I saw Stranger than Fiction in theaters, haven't seen it since. I remember enjoying it.

Thank you, would you rank it towards the top of my other lists as well?

The 4th section is my favorite, too.

Your thoughts on "The Goat Song"?

Your lists are pretty consistent, but it might be the tops.

Is The Goat Song a parody of Bohemian Rhapsody? I got the gist with all the changing styles, the build-up, and the gong at the end.

Ferrell is in the 3 best comedies of this decade which are Old School, Wedding Crashers, and Anchorman.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Knocked Up and will watch it whenever it's on cable, but it didn't resonate with me in the same way that Virgin did. Superbad has lost its luster for me after seeing it again on cable the other day. Parts of it still crack me the hell up, but you're right, the pacing in the middle-section is problematic, and it isn't anything spectacular. In a comedy like that though, I'm looking for steady stream of chuckles and a few LOL moments, which that movie delivered.

I have not seen Pineapple Express or Forgetting Sarah Marshall yet, so there's that.

McLovin really got old for me. I blame the internets. It wasn't that funny of a joke, but it was a lot better than it feels like it is now. It really isn't a terrible film though, but there are some forced moments that bring it down for me, like the period blood scene. I think I gave the film a 7 or something a while back.

Based on reviews of recent Apatow-related efforts, the group hasn't recovered since Drillbit Taylor.

I saw Stranger than Fiction in theaters, haven't seen it since. I remember enjoying it.

I own that, for whatever reason. Enjoyable movie, but nothing too special. I'd like to see Ferrell take on more roles like that in the future though. I doubt he could turn in a comedic/dramatic performance as awesome as Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine and The Truman Show or Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love, but it's good to see him branch out and try something new.

So I finished your list, Pfan. It was definitely hit or miss for me taste-wise, with more hit than miss. Overall I'd probably give it 7/10.

AtomicBono
LemonMelon
the tourist
LMP
Phillyfan
GAF
bono_212

is my current ranking, I think...Philly and GAF are about even, honestly.

I own that, for whatever reason. Enjoyable movie, but nothing too special. I'd like to see Ferrell take on more roles like that in the future though. I doubt he could turn in a comedic/dramatic performance as awesome as Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine and The Truman Show or Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love, but it's good to see him branch out and try something new.

Is it anywhere near the level of those other films you mentioned? The plot sounds really interesting.

McLovin really got old for me. I blame the internets. It wasn't that funny of a joke, but it was a lot better than it feels like it is now. It really isn't a terrible film though, but there are some forced moments that bring it down for me, like the period blood scene. I think I gave the film a 7 or something a while back.

Based on reviews of recent Apatow-related efforts, the group hasn't recovered since Drillbit Taylor.

McLovin' still cracks me up because I know at least 2 or 3 kids like that in real life and used to bear a passing resemblance to that kid a few years ago.

Walk Hard was considered a failure, and we know how awesome that movie is. Sarah Marshall was pretty well-liked and well-reviewed, as was Pineapple Express, so the machine keeps one turning fellas.

I'm excited for the Sacha Baron Cohen/Will Ferrell team-up for an Apatow-produced Sherlock Holmes movie though. That's going to be fucking awesome.

McLovin' still cracks me up because I know at least 2 or 3 kids like that in real life and used to bear a passing resemblance to that kid a few years ago.

Walk Hard was considered a failure, and we know how awesome that movie is. Sarah Marshall was pretty well-liked and well-reviewed, as was Pineapple Express, so the machine keeps one turning fellas.

I'm excited for the Sacha Baron Cohen/Will Ferrell team-up for an Apatow-produced Sherlock Holmes movie though. That's going to be fucking awesome.

Ha, I forgot about Walk Hard. Yes, that movie kicked ass. Half the film is quotable.

Sherlock Holmes, you say? Is there a title for this yet? I haven't heard of it.

Is it anywhere near the level of those other films you mentioned? The plot sounds really interesting.

It's solid, but it never reaches the emotional highs of those films. Ferrell's surprisingly good in it, and the supporting cast of Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Buster Bluth are all reliable, too, so that's good. The plot is interesting, but some of the decisions toward the end undermined my understanding of the events leading up to it though.

I'd recommend seeing it if you don't have too high expectations for it.

I hadn't heard about that one yet, sounds quite promising!

They are probably never going to top Anchorman, IMO, but I really would love to see all of them in a movie again. I don't know where Vaughn and Stiller went (though Tropic Thunder was AMAZING imo). But I believe all of them, even Rogen were in Anchorman weren't they? I can't remember if Owen was in it.

I really want to see Eternal Sunshine. I've seen a film fan from my school call it his favorite film ever, which surprised me.

Ha, I forgot about Walk Hard. Yes, that movie kicked ass. Half the film is quotable.

Sherlock Holmes, you say? Is there a title for this yet? I haven't heard of it.

Not yet, just the casting and such.

Coincidentally, Guy Ritchie's doing a Sherlock film, too, with Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock. Now that my friends is just as awesome.

It's my second favorite Ferrell film, but LMP's right, it never really hits those highs that Eternal Sunshine did. I really hope Will attempts something like it again though.

They are probably never going to top Anchorman, IMO, but I really would love to see all of them in a movie again. I don't know where Vaughn and Stiller went (though Tropic Thunder was AMAZING imo). But I believe all of them, even Rogen were in Anchorman weren't they? I can't remember if Owen was in it.

Anchorman had five Frat Pack guys, if I recall, with Ferrell, Carrell, Vaughn, Luke Wilson, and Stiller all showing up. Owen wasn't in it. Was Rogen? I didn't think so.

Rogen plays Veronica's cameraman in a few scenes, not a big part. Yeah, Owen Wilson wasn't in it at all. That disappointed me, but Tim Robbins' random cameo as the PBS guy with the perm and pipe fucking kill me.

I really want to see Eternal Sunshine. I've seen a film fan from my school call it his favorite film ever, which surprised me.

It's tied for 10th place in my favorite movies of all time, with Field of Dreams, and honestly, each time I see it it moves up higher in that list.

You haven't seen Eternal Sunshine yet? What the fuck are you talking to us for? I'll hook you up with some links and you can watch it right now.

Anchorman had five Frat Pack guys, if I recall, with Ferrell, Carrell, Vaughn, Luke Wilson, and Stiller all showing up. Owen wasn't in it. Was Rogen? I didn't think so.

Rogen had a very small part as the cameraman during the Cat Show

It's odd, since The Frat Pack of guys still exists, but there's almost a subset of that when you get to the guys in the Apatow-related productions.

Rogen plays Veronica's cameraman in a few scenes, not a big part. Yeah, Owen Wilson wasn't in it at all. That disappointed me, but Tim Robbins' random cameo as the PBS guy with the perm and pipe fucking kill me.

When he pushes Veronica into the bear pit :lmao:

I finally got around to watching Anchorman the other night and really enjoyed it. Again, hardly a masterpiece, but funnier than Superbad IMO. Right up there with Zoolander. Carell as the weatherman FTMFW.

It's odd, since The Frat Pack of guys still exists, but there's almost a subset of that when you get to the guys in the Apatow-related productions.

And the thing with that is that I find myself not liking the Apatow Frat Pack boys as much...so much that I don't count them as members honestly. I'd be willing to count Paul Rudd as a member, but he seems to have dropped under the radar as well.

Frat Pack imo: Ferrell, Vaughn, Owen, Luke, Stiller, Rudd, and a couple more that I know I'm forgetting.

Anchorman's one of those movies where I've seen different parts of it tons of times, but never the whole thing through. And I've not yet seen the ending.

I tend to group the Frat Pack/Apatow movies together, but here's how I'd rank them based on what I have seen:

Anchorman
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Zoolander
Tropic Thunder
Knocked Up
Talladega Nights
Heavyweights
Walk Hard
Step Brothers
Superbad
Wedding Crashers
Old School
Starsky and Hutch
The Cable Guy

The "official" Frat Pack is Stiller, Ferrell, Vaughn, Wilson, Wilson, Black, and Carrell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom