The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
I figure since doing running diaries of someone's list for this contest is always fun, why not devote a thread to doing just that? And I don't want to overwhelm the chatter in the superthread for this anymore, that's a big reason. I've been throwing this idea around for a bit with the powers-that-be for DI and they seem keen on the idea, so I wanted to do it and test it out. I put this in OOC because it devolves more into a general chat than just a music conversation, if that makes any sense. Hell, maybe this can turn into another general chat thread for DI-related folk?

Starting tomorrow night, I will be doing a diary of one of El-Mel's lists. I'm a man of my wooord.

Dear Diary, today I listened to LemonMac's Retro playlist. At first I was kinda shy about it, but once that Elvis Costello song came on I like totally got up dancing. I was kinda sort watching Brian all night, I mean, through the first two songs, but that Ramones song, it was just too fast. And the Clash - like NOOOoooOOO. Who asks a guy to dance during the Clash. I was hoping he'd ask me, but he's so shy and cool. But then "Pump it Up" came on and I turned to Betsy and I was like, "OH. MY. GOD. It's a sign." So she's all - "GO TALK TO HIM!!!" And I like TOTALLY DID!!! Then some old song came on and totally ruined it. Then there was like this long string of songs i didn't really like but it was cool cause I just sat there and talked to Brian. It was realy awesome. Finally he went back to his friends, but when the talking heads came on he looked at me smiled cause we were talking about heads before that. It was like so funny........

You sure this is a good idea, buddy?

I figure since doing running diaries of someone's list for this contest is always fun, why not devote a thread to doing just that? And I don't want to overwhelm the chatter in the superthread for this anymore, that's a big reason. I've been throwing this idea around for a bit with the powers-that-be for DI and they seem keen on the idea, so I wanted to do it and test it out. I put this in OOC because it devolves more into a general chat than just a music conversation, if that makes any sense.

Starting tomorrow night, I will be doing a diary of one of El-Mel's lists. I'm a man of my wooord.

I intend to download your current DI 5 entry ASAP, and will be here when that happens.

Dear Diary, today I listened to LemonMac's Retro playlist. At first I was kinda shy about it, but once that Elvis Costello song came on I like totally got up dancing. I was kinda sort watching Brian all night, I mean, through the first two songs, but that Ramones song, it was just too fast. And the Clash - like NOOOoooOOO. Who asks a guy to dance during the Clash. I was hoping he'd ask me, but he's so shy and cool. But then "Pump it Up" came on and I turned to Betsy and I was like, "OH. MY. GOD. It's a sign." So she's all - "GO TALK TO HIM!!!" And I like TOTALLY DID!!! Then some old song came on and totally ruined it. Then there was like this long string of songs i didn't really like but it was cool cause I just sat there and talked to Brian. It was realy awesome. Finally he went back to his friends, but when the talking heads came on he looked at me smiled cause we were talking about heads before that. It was like so funny........

Quick, go try to do some archnemeses. You could be hitting a creative stride.

I approve of this thread. It's nigh on impossible to keep one going in the superthreads.

You said you wanted to help spread The Funk? This is the way, my friend. Take the blue pill.

There's about a 95% chance this will be moved to B&C, which doesn't bother me any, since a well-placed posting squall could bury this thread under waves of useless information.

Yeah, but I think it fits more in here because it's more conversational in nature. Oh well, why would I question a mod's decision?

Yeah, but I think it fits more in here because it's more conversational in nature. Oh well, why would I question a mod's decision?

You wouldn't, YLB, you wouldn't. There are certain absolutes in this world: God, Keith Richards, the ethereal, and moderator decisions. You just don't question those things.

Because there is no mod? Because mod is dead? I am the lord your mod, you shall have no other mods before me? Do not use mod's name in vain? Any fool can count the seeds in an apple, but only mod can count all the apples in one seed?Weave in faith and mod will find the thread? Mod is not the name of mod, but an opinion about him/her? No mod no peace; Know mod know peace?

WHERE IS YOUR MOD NOW?

Didn't see this pop up, but I like the idea of a separate place for all this chatter. Doesn't make me feel guilty writing about it in the ST.

I'll start after I finish watching this Office Comic Con footage.

The first three songs are meant to give the Avalanches track a greater punch in contrast. I had it as an opener for about 30 seconds, but it simply didn't work.

The progression from Speed to What Goes On was interesting. I wasn't a big fan of it, but it certainly was an unusual choice for an opener.

Wait a couple tracks for the payoff. It's not a brilliant segue in and of itself by any means, but it makes sense when you hear the awesome segue I came up with from Out Of Time into Since I Left You.

I meant to say I wasn't a big fan of "Speed Trials" itself, not the transition. What a brainfart.

Oh, OK. That makes me feel better. :D I'm mainly interested in the more objective area of flow* and all that.

Of course, if you like the songs (and I think you will), that's a nice bonus.

*Fucking hell?

That's cool. I try and keep an equal opinion on enjoyment and the structural stuff. Objective fact.

"Out of Time" is pretty nifty. Is Think Tank the only Coxon-less album?

The transition from that to "Since I Left You" was pretty damn good, but I wasn't too keen on "What Goes On" -> "Out of Time."

Yeah, so far it is. Although I certainly hope they don't keep it to that; Albarn alone is awesome enough to make a great album, as we both know.

Neither of the first couple of segues are spectacular, but it keeps the flow going. From here on, the list gets rolling.

"Since I've Left You" was cracking, but the transition to "Kim & Jessie" was a little rough. I can hear what you were going for there, so it's not that big of a deal.

Your location should be "returning some videotapes," btw.

Listen to it with no gap in between (I have no idea what program could perform that offhand, other than a CD), and it's fucking perfect. That's the best I could do.

Good call on the location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom