The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I figured out what the secret is to making these DI playlists...

Put good fucking songs on it!

:shh:

Haha yes I probably will look stupid.

I don't actually know the secret. I don't actually know a damn thing.

Anything with Arnold is great.

I actually sincerely enjoy a lot of that dude's movies.

Oh me too, he's just fun to watch... even in the eternally shitty Batman & Robin.

Haha yes I probably will look stupid.

I don't actually know the secret. I don't actually know a damn thing.

The secret? Try and put together a list of songs that you not only love, but sound great together.

Oh hey LMP...if and when you see this I think I need your help, if that's cool. I have my entire list finished and they are all in Mp3 format on my itunes. I think you explained this to me earlier, but how do you get them so that they can be uploaded or whatever and ready to be shipped out to the public at large?

Also, I'm pretty happy with my list and I had almost too much fun making it. I knew it would be cool to enter but I didn't think I'd get this much satisfaction out of putting a bunch of songs together.

Damn you concepts for stealing the last place thunder!

Ideas that motivate the creation of a list is cool, I enjoy reading about why that choice was made and how it connects to everything and whatnot. If you're creative enough to string something like that together, awesome... some people even make whole narratives and shit, more power to them. Personally, I think it can restrict your choices in what to do and make listening to it a little tedious. If you like the songs and some thought went into their placement, then it's all gravy... but it shouldn't be overshadowed by everything else, you know?

I still maintain that it was given too much importance last time around and made the whole experience less fun for me and for others, in addition to other factors, but whatever. I'm incredibly psyched for this to start up.

Ideas that motivate the creation of a list is cool, I enjoy reading about why that choice was made and how it connects to everything and whatnot. If you're creative enough to string something like that together, awesome... some people even make whole narratives and shit, more power to them. Personally, I think it can restrict your choices in what to do and make listening to it a little tedious. If you like the songs and some thought went into their placement, then it's all gravy... but it shouldn't be overshadowed by everything else, you know?

I still maintain that it was given too much importance last time around and made the whole experience less fun for me and for others, in addition to other factors, but whatever. I'm incredibly psyched for this to start up.

No offense to those who enjoy it, because, if you can make it work, it's fairly epic, but yes, the whole idea of it last time round killed the game for me. In fact, it's still killing it for me a little. This time round I tried to make sure all the songs on the list were really songs I loved, and not what I thought people wanted to hear (though I don't think I achieved that last time when i tried lol). But the more I listen to my list, the more nervous i'm getting, because it's very me.

No offense to those who enjoy it, because, if you can make it work, it's fairly epic, but yes, the whole idea of it last time round killed the game for me. In fact, it's still killing it for me a little. This time round I tried to make sure all the songs on the list were really songs I loved, and not what I thought people wanted to hear (though I don't think I achieved that last time when i tried lol). But the more I listen to my list, the more nervous i'm getting, because it's very me.

Most definitely. :up:

Maybe I have a jaded opinion because I've "won" one of these things before, but it should be about making something that you like. Sure, it's a competition and you want to succeed, but catering to other people really takes the fun out of it, too. I've been accused of that in the past... not much else you can do other than tell that person to go fuck themselves and try and have fun.

You can't help but like what you like, so just roll with it, you know?

I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, but I don't want this to hurt anyone's experience with it this time around as it did to some last time.

Most definitely. :up:

Maybe I have a jaded opinion because I've "won" one of these things before, but it should be about making something that you like. Sure, it's a competition and you want to succeed, but catering to other people really takes the fun out of it, too. I've been accused of that in the past... not much else you can do other than tell that person to go fuck themselves and try and have fun.

You can't help but like what you like, so just roll with it, you know?

I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, but I don't want this to hurt anyone's experience with it this time around as it did to some last time.

I see where you're coming from and it makes sense. I want to have fun with it, and I'm sure once my list is finally officially in I'll feel better about it, since I can't change it. I haven't changed the order since I sent it off to Chass for her to listen to, but the temptation is overwhelming, especially since I listened to your list. It's not that I want to chage the songs, it's the order of the songs I'm not comfortable with, and I just CAN'T for the life of me figure out what to do.

Maybe I have a jaded opinion because I've "won" one of these things before, but it should be about making something that you like.

Personally, I think you're off-base for assuming that those of us who are attempting to do a little more with our playlists than just "have fun" are catering to others or dislike what we're doing. And that's really how your post comes off, to me anyway. Folks can view the tournament however they please, but I feel like I'm being bunched into these stereotypes and don't particularly care for it.

I see where you're coming from and it makes sense. I want to have fun with it, and I'm sure once my list is finally officially in I'll feel better about it, since I can't change it. I haven't changed the order since I sent it off to Chass for her to listen to, but the temptation is overwhelming, especially since I listened to your list. It's not that I want to chage the songs, it's the order of the songs I'm not comfortable with, and I just CAN'T for the life of me figure out what to do.

I wouldn't change anything unless you're willing to scrap the whole thing... that's what is going to end up happening when you go back to it. You'll either be kicking yourself for:

1) Entering the first list and feeling you could've done better
2) Entering the second one and wishing you used the first
3) Adding a concept and winning the whole damn thing.

Personally, I think you're off-base for assuming that those of us who are attempting to do a little more with our playlists than just "have fun" are catering to others or dislike what we're doing. And that's really how your post comes off, to me anyway. Folks can view the tournament however they please, but I feel like I'm being bunched into these stereotypes and don't particularly care for it.

Hey Little Chopin, stop being so obtuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom