The "Desert Island Album" Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liamcool

Blue Crack Addict
deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trau
This is a game taken from the forums of mikeportnoy.com, so thanks to that site for the idea.

The premise of this contest is that all of the forumers are about to be stranded on a desert island, and you have been given the task of compiling TWO 80-minute CDs that we are allowed to take with us to the island. You have been given only a few rules.

1.) Each of your two CDs MUST be 80 minutes or less.
2.) You must select at least SEVEN different artists between your two compilations. (In other words, you can’t just say Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and Pop.) However, you can have more than one song by the same artist. You may also use more than seven artists.
3.) Each of your selections must appear on an OFFICIAL release by that artist. Bootlegs are not allowed, but official live releases are allowed.
4.) Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way. (e.g., You may not cut off the fade up section at the beginning of U2's "Exit") You must use the official album run time. In the case of One Tree Hill, however, you may use either version (the misprinted version without the coda or the correct version with the coda)
5.) Any entry that violates one of these rules or pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition.

****READ THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH****
****VERY IMPORTANT****
For this competition, please DO NOT post your entries in this thread. Since there will no doubt be repeat songs on the compilations, please send your entries as an email to either myself or Axver. That way, your songs will remain confidential until after the voting has started. I need the artist, the song and the album that it comes from, as well as the times. They should be sent to my name in the following format...

Forum Name: liamcool

Disc A:
1.) Dream Theater - “Eat My Ass and Balls Part 1” - Eat My Ass and Balls: The Album (13:42)
2.) Metallica - “Trash Can Jive” - The Essence of Lars (6:18)
3.) Rush - “Naked Guy Looking at a Star” - Moving Sculptures (11:31)
4.) Yes - “Nowhere Near the Edge” - We Play a Bunch of Notes (18:29)
5.) The Weymolith Band - “Banninate” - There Is No Rule 15 (15:15)
6.) Drumline’s Army - “High Post Count” - Guys, I’m Not Emo (14:28)

Total Running Time - 79:43

Disc B:
1.) Opeth - “Longest Metal Song Ever” - This Album Title Is Better Than You (78:29)

Total Running Time - 78:29

All of your questions or concerns may be posted in this thread, and we will keep a running tally of the forumers that I have entries from in this thread as well. You will have until midnigh Australian Eastern Standard Time (GMT +10) on Sunday, April 16, 2006 to send me your compilation.

Once I have collected all the entries, I will create a bracket by drawing names out of a hat, and we will begin the voting process. The winner will claim eternal glory as the forumer who can cram the most good music into 160 minutes. (Or if someone felt like donating a small prize, that works too.)

And one more reminder...send your entries as an email to either myself or Axver. My email is u2guitarman@msn.com, and Axver's email is amakaxver@gmail.com. DO NOT post them in this thread.

Good luck,
Andre and Liam

I'd just like to correct a mistake in the original post: DUE DATE IS 9 MAY 2006.

To clarify - there will be SIXTEEN contestants (on a first come, first served basis). Two spots are obviously already taken. Please add your name to the list if you intend to compete and make sure your entry is submitted on time. If all entries are received early, we may start the competition early.

1). Liamcool
2). Axver
3).
4).
5).
6).
7).
8).
9).
10).
11).
12).
13).
14).
15).
16).

(Personal note: If you e-mail your submission to me, please include 'Desert Island Album' and your Interference screen name in the subject line. Thank you!)

So that's:

1). Liamcool
2). Axver
3). LJT
4). Miricale_Drug (?)
5).
6).
7).
8).
9).
10).
11).
12).
13).
14).
15).
16).

Come on people, you know you want to enter!

1). Liamcool
2). Axver
3). LJT
4). Miricale_Drug (?)
5). MacPhistoPT
6).
7).
8).
9).
10).
11).
12).
13).
14).
15).
16).

My list will suck but who cares. let's go :wink: I'll send it to Axver in a minute

inmyplace13 said:
What makes it a competition?

To quote the original post: Once I have collected all the entries, I will create a bracket by drawing names out of a hat, and we will begin the voting process. The winner will claim eternal glory as the forumer who can cram the most good music into 160 minutes.

I'll be running the polls facing the mixes off against each other, one 24-hour poll per match-up. The winner progresses to the next round.

This is the voting brackets on the Mike Portnoy forums that we took the idea from (as we haven't all competitors yet, I figured it'd be easier to just copy from there):

desertbracket0014xu.png

(I was the first reserve at the Portnoy forums but all 16 entered submissions on time and I didn't get to compete. :()

Last edited:
Sounds good, Axy. Count me in.

1). Liamcool
2). Axver
3). LJT
4). Miricale_Drug (?)
5). MacPhistoPT
6). hippy
7).
8).
9).
10).
11).
12).
13). inmyplace13
14).
15).
16).

Alright, cool!

1). Liamcool
2). Axver
3). LJT
4). Miricale_Drug (?)
5). MacPhistoPT
6). hippy
7). Bono's shades
8).
9).
10).
11).
12).
13). inmyplace13 [:lol:]
14).
15).
16).

MrBrau1 said:
I'll give a whirl.

I was hoping you would! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

(And I really hope that when we draw the brackets, I don't end up against you. :lol: )

Alright, I'm done. Just finished sending it to you, Axver.

LemonMacPhisto said:
put me down please!

Sure! Glad you're going to compete too.

1). Liamcool
2). Axver
3). LJT
4). Miricale_Drug (?)
5). MacPhistoPT
6). hippy
7). Bono's shades
8). MrBrau1
9). LemonMacPhisto
10).
11).
12).
13). inmyplace13
14).
15).
16).

If the seeding looks like that of the NCAA tourney, I'll be going up against Miricale Drug in the first round.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

inmyplace13 said:
If the seeding looks like that of the NCAA tourney, I'll be going up against Miricale Drug in the first round.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Nope, the seeding will be random. This list is just of competitors - either Liam or I will draw the seeding at random.

I hope I don't end up against you. :wink:

(Mine's full of obscure stuff anyway so I'll likely just crash out in the first round ...)

Axver said:

Sure! Glad you're going to compete too.

1). Liamcool
2). Axver
3). LJT
4). Miricale_Drug (?)
5). MacPhistoPT
6). hippy
7). Bono's shades
8). MrBrau1
9). LemonMacPhisto
10).
11).
12).
13). inmyplace13
14).
15).
16).
17). Eliv8

Maybe Eliv8 wants to be first reserve (17th) like I was at MP.com. :wink:

^Yeah I was wondering about that hence, I didn't use anything that was completely obscure..

I'm done, on it's way to you Liamcool....

My discs are brilliant:D...or well at least I think they are great, i'm keeping them as playlists....very droolworthy:drool:

So... you're basically gonna flip a coin (or pick names from a hat) to see who advances? And then that person is paired against someone else. And again you just pick a name? So it's totally based on luck and not on the merit of the music itself! Or am I reading this wrong? :huh:

^no the pairings will be pretty random...but who advances is decided by a vote;)

And the vote is basically like a coin toss, correct? Or is the music gonna be evaluated? Of course, that would interfere with the whole subjectivity theory! :huh:

Back
Top Bottom