The Delgados

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hmm: The name sounds completely familiar...I'm sure I've heard stuff by them, yet none of the track names look familiar....

wait...maybe "If this is a plan"

If I hadn't seen Idlewild last month, this would have been the best show of the year.

(please ignore the fact that they're the only two shows I've seen this year :shifty: )

meegannie said:
Um, no. That's the Bodeans. (<---useless knowledge)

The Delgados are from Scotland.

yah, i know. I was just kidding/trying to amuse myself whilst bored @ work. sorry. bad joke.

I'm listening to Accused of Stealing now (the mp3 from their website). I love her voice. I want to be her when I grow up.

i don't much like working. kicks work in the arse. someone needs to supply me with unlimited funds for food, concert tickets, air fare and places to stay for a 365 day around the world concert binge

we need to find someone to front us money to write a book on a round the world concert tour. oh and pay us to do it as well.

I would stop in Scotland for The Delgados and Idlewild

The Delgados: The Glory Of Loathe
Friday, April 25, 2003; Page C07

The Delgados' latest single may be called "All You Need Is Hate," but the Scottish band doesn't spew venom ? la Korn or Marilyn Manson, instead preferring, as the song's Beatles-centric title suggests, to meditate melodically on loathing. At the Black Cat on Wednesday night, the group played an exhilarating 90-minute show that set dark introspection against a musical backdrop of post-punk chamber music.

The Delgados are a quartet with classic Fab Four instrumentation, but their current U.S. tour lineup includes five additional players -- on viola, violin, cello, flute and electric piano -- that helped them render songs like "The Light Before We Land" and "Coming In From the Cold" with a full sonic palette.

The band owns and operates the Chemikal Underground record label and has released recordings by bands like Arab Strap and Aerogramme (the latter played an engaging opening set Wednesday) whose musical approaches were noticeable in the Delgados' work. Also evident, however, was the sound of countrymen Belle and Sebastian and the Pastels.

The Delgados' sound is centered on the singing of guitarists Emma Pollock and Alun Woodward, who traded leads and harmonized on songs like "Child Killers" and "Never Look at the Sun," which built to peaks of symphonic intensity behind massed strings and electric guitars.

The group covered nearly every song on their beautifully despondent recent album (titled "Hate," naturally), then offered up a surprisingly bubbly encore: a chugging version of ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky" that revealed some of the pop roots in the Delgados' shadowy musical garden.

-- Patrick Foster

I became accustomed to a kind of social servitude
and no one, I mean no one, could accept what I had become
Selfish, bitter, weak
Enough to make you sick
And lately, I've been feeling there are bits of life I'm stealing
Get me home

At times it seems I will not help
but it's just that I must save myself
from fear that blankets me like mist
on an optimist who insists
it's the simple things that crush
and I'm crying far too much
so much so that I'm thinking my control on life is shrinking

There's a light on in my head and I'm thinking what I said
All the freedom in my brain, I'm alright now
I'm just thinking what to say
Sorry doesn't seem to wash
when there's truths around that I have quashed
and no one, I mean no one, can depress me more than I can
So does that make me weak or should that make me sick?
But lately I've been feeling that I'm gonna give up breathing

All the fever in my brain, I'm alright now
I can even take the pain
All the fever in my brain, I'm alright now
I can even take the pain

DiGi said:

we should write up and idea and present it to MTV. have those clowns make a documentary.

It can be like the Real World. I'm sure Sam would agree to it, so we'd need two more people, right?

Jenn's plan was to present a proposal that she'd try to sleep with a rock star in every country. :ohmy: ;)

meegannie said:

Jenn's plan was to present a proposal that she'd try to sleep with a rock star in every country. :ohmy: ;)

LMAO. I just wanted to go for the music and travel.

We should write a proposal and give to some exec in AOL music and have them do it for us. I think we could find people - now has idea this should happen during the next u2 tour]

I think we should be sick on May 21

Last edited:
Yeah! Write a proposal! :hyper:

May 21st is during my last week of work. Maybe I could switch around a day and a half, though. :hmm:

meegannie said:
:shrug: Whatever it takes, you know? :angel: ;)

Yeah, I like the book plan. Megan, our book plan #1 we talked about last year would need to commence in the next few months to catch the bus before it takes off on tour!! ;)

Originally posted by DiGi

We should write a proposal and give to some exec in AOL music and have them do it for us. I think we could find people - now has idea this should happen during the next u2 tour]
I think this could work...I'll begin the real worldesque proposal next time I get some free time, ok? :yes: Oh, it WILL happen...

crap i just realized you said idlewild in NYC - if you get off we are going to this show.

I am so going to talk to AOL music people - this is the best idea i have had today. They could use in AOL US, AOL UK, AOL Austrailia, AOL Japan, AOL South America.

And we'd have Sam for the international flavour. I might even be able to get someone from New Zealand to sign on. :up:

I'll try to find more info on the Idlewild show. It's at a TINY venue, apparently.

DiGi said:
I am so going to talk to AOL music people - this is the best idea i have had today. They could use in AOL US, AOL UK, AOL Austrailia, AOL Japan, AOL South America.
:yes: :hyper:
Never get anywhere without trying, right? I am SO drafting a letter to mtv...why not. What about magazines too - that would be preferable, actually. No video cameras, just frequent reports from the road. :hmm: nme, q...i guess rolling stone, as long as we'd get to choose the shows. No crap concerts for me. :mad:
Ok, now that this IS happening in my mind, I'm never going to be able to study now... :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom