The definition of "DUDE" - females can be dudes too ya know...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyChicken

Acrobat
The other day in a post I referred to the Sicillian Goddess as a "dude". Martha protested that this was inappropriate, due to "dude" being a male reference.

I use the word "dude" for males and females just because I can. Some people accept it, whilst others tell me females should be called "dudettes". But why be sexist?

I've went up and looked up the defintion of "dude" in a dictionary.

Here's what it told me:

Dude

Informal. An Easterner or city person who vacations on a ranch in the West.

Informal. A man who is very fancy or sharp in dress and demeanor.

Slang.
A man; a fellow.
dudes Persons of either sex.

tr.v. dud?ed, dud?ing, dudes

Slang. To dress elaborately or flamboyantly: got all duded up for the show.

interj. Slang

Used to express approval, satisfaction, or congratulations.

It appears the gender specificness of "dude" is somewhat ambiguous. Obviously it was originally intended as a reference to a male, but in these modern times it can be used for either.

So on that note:

Catch ya later DUUUUUUUUUUUUDES!!!

I wonder what will happen when I start calling males "chick". They accept being called "bitch", so...?

men can be bitches, too, as we know from current usage, but I didn't realize it was so by actual dictionary definition

bitch
n.

1. female canine animal, especially a dog.
2. Offensive.
A woman considered to be spiteful or overbearing.
A lewd woman.
A man considered to be weak or contemptible.
3. Slang. A complaint.
4. Slang. Something very unpleasant or difficult.

I use "dude" a lot. With some of the people I'm closer to, I tend to use the words "dear", "honey", "sweetie", and "sweets".

does anyone know the real meaning of the word?
I once painted a t-shirt for a friend's young son. It had Bart Simpson riding a skateboard on the front and Bart's four chubby little yellow fingers chucking a peace sign with the words"Peace Dude" on the back. At the time someone told me "dude" was a rude word. Is it?

aww memories....my school days friend's old father used to ask us when we got home from the beach on the weekend if we'd "seen any dickheads or dudes?" I later realised he would overhear our conversations and that is what we tended to call the male of the species back then.

:lmao:

sorry guys:lmao:
there's a big differnce between a "dude ranch" and a "cool dude" imho. My sister collectively calls her children dudes, as in "come on dudes, let's go" I tend to call mine "gang"
cop you latah Mr Chicken Dude:wave:

Back
Top Bottom