The Decline Of VH1(The Story Of Three Eras)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
This is a long thread(although not as long as it looks because there are two long quick-read lists in it that take half the space). But I had to vent my nostalgia. And I felt B&C was a more appropriate place for this than ZS because I'm talking about a television network that used to be all about music.

VH1. It was originally MTV's little sister. While that may make the two networks sound like comrads, and while their ownership is one and the same, the reality is that VH1 was concieved as and always was the anti-MTV.

In the early days of 80s MTV, when they were still pretty much a music videos channel, Video Hits 1 - VH1 - was concieved essentially as 'MTV for older people'. Whereas MTV was only concerned with playing what was hip and popular on the given day, VH1's purpose was to play videos that would be desirable to the baby boomers(who were in their 20s and 30s at the time). So right from the very start, VH1 was essentially definied by the fact that it respected musical history, whereas MTV was a big celebration of today's fad.

That was the first era of VH1. Playing music videos geared towards those who were too old for MTV. It lasted from the beginning(1985) to 1994.

In 1994, VH1 started its fabled "VH1: Music First" format. While the first era was all about music videos, this era was all about programs talking ABOUT music and emphasizing the importance OF music. I believe this to be the single best era of any television music network in the history of television.

We all know these programs.

Behind The Music

Everybody knows BTM. Series was great because it educated a younger generation about a whole bunch of older artists, as well as a few newer ones - just look at this list of episodes(this isn't all of them):

Fleetwood Mac
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Teddy Pandergrass
Billy Joel
Lillith Fair
Andy Gibb
Jim Croce
The Carpenters
Sonny Bono
The Mamas And The Papas
Meat Loaf
Gladys Knight
Willie Nelson
Jerry Lee Lewis
Rick Jamse
David Crosby
Selena
Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Ozzy Osbourne
Ted Nugent
Joe Cocker
Frank Sinatra
Studio 54
Keith Moon
Bonnie Raitt
Culture Club
Robbie Robertson
Def Leppard
Tony Orlando
Gloria Estefan
Jan And Dean
Harry Chapin
Gloria Gaynor
Madonna
Steppenwolf
John Denver
Blondie
Stevie Nicks
Metallica
Lionel Richie
Rick Springfield
KC And The Sunshine Band
REM
Motley Crue
David Cassidy
Bette Midler
Leif Garrett
Heart
The Day The Music Died
Depeche Mode
Grand Funk Railroad
Iggy Pop
Duran Duran
Cher
Julian Lennon
Alice Cooper
Black Crowes
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Marianne Faithfull
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Eric Burdon & The Animals
Donna Summer
Lenny Kravitz
"Weird Al" Yankovic
Poison
Quiet Riot
Natalie Cole
Melissa Etheridge
Woodstock
Bay City Rollers
Donny & Marie
Peter Tosh
Bad Company
Glen Campbell
Sting
Alan Freed
Thin Lizzy
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Dr. Dre
Barry White
Alanis Morissette
Genesis
The Partridge Family
Michael Hutchence
Celine Dion
Russell Simmons
Quincy Jones
Run DMC
Tina Turner
Elton John
Oasis
No Doubt
The Police
The Go-Go's
AC/DC
The Monkees
Public Enemy
The Bangles
Peter Frampton
Styx
Ice-T
Cat Stevens
Chicago
Badfinger
Brian Setzer
Huey Lewis & The News
Journey
Doobie Brothers
Rod Stewart
Billy Idol
Megadeth
The Notorious B.I.G.
Neil Diamond
Pat Benatar
REO Speedwagon
Twisted Sister
Judas Priest
Sinead O'Connor
Sublime
Hall & Oates
Foreigner
Bob Marley
Aerosmith
Cyndi Lauper
Guns'N'Roses

VH1 Legends

Companion series to BTM - this was for those bands who had had a more significant historical impact on music.

Although BTM was VH1's flagship show during those years, this one was better. This is one of THE greatest, most entertaining, inspiring, best put together rockumentary series' I have EVER had the pleasure of viewing. I can only hope they're all put on DVD one of these days.

Episodes include:

The Who
Grateful Dead
Marvin Gaye
Eric Clapton
The Doors
U2
David Bowie
Johnny Cash
Tina Turner
Curtis Mayfield
Aretha Franklin
Elton John
John Fogerty
B.B. King
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Queen
Bruce Springsteen
Janis Joplin
Led Zeppelin
John Lennon
The Pretenders
George Clinton
The Clash
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young
Neil Young
Bee Gees
Jimi Hendrix
Sam Cooke
Pink Floyd & Syd Barrett
Kiss
Michael Jackson

Pop-Up Video

This was a fad in and of itself for a while there in the late 90s. Music videos with fact tidbits sprinkled about. It doesn't sound great but it works brilliantly.

Storytellers

Sort of similar to MTV's Unplugged(one of the only music programs in MTV's history that remains relevant to this day), except that the performers told the stories behind the songs before or even while playing them. Great, great series.

Where Are They Now?

You know, where they'd catch up with your favorite has-beens from past decades.

A show I don't remember the name of, but it was awesome

I don't remember what it was called, but the concept was music videos in a blender. You'd see a minute of this video, and then it would 'mix' into a minute of that video, and then that would mix into a minute of a third video, and so forth. It was really sweet.

Divas Live

Obviously not everybody's cup of tea, but still totally music related. The first one was the best, with Aretha Franklin, Gloria Estefan, Carole King, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, and Mariah Carey.

The List

Does anybody remember this show? It only lasted for one season but I looooooved it and really hope to get my hands on those episodes somehow.

It was where they'd get a group of 4-5 celebrities, sometimes all from the same show or band or whatever, and they'd sit in a circle and make top 5 lists(top 5 bands, top 5 rock songs, top 5 albums, top 5 pop songs, top 5 videos, top 5 this, top 5 that), and at the end the audience would get to vote on it. Fucking awesome show. Rob Gordon would have loved it.

"Movies That Rock"

They'd make biograhic, sometimes partially fictional, films about the lives and careers of classic artists.

100 Greatest...

These are still going on, but they started over a decade ago, during this era. They've done "100 Greatest Songs Of The 80s" and "100 Greatest Songs Of The 90s" recently, but back in the day it started with "Top 100 Artists", "Top 100 Albums", "Top 100 Songs", "Top 100 Heavy Metal Acts", "Top 100 One-Hit Wonders", etc etc.

God, this era of VH1 was so brilliant and timeless. They even aired old episodes of American Bandstand.

And to top it all of, one of the big things they always talked about during that era was the VH1 Save The Music foundation...they wanted to raise money and awareness to keep music programs from being taken out of schools.

SO, ANYWAY, in 2003 or so the ratings had lowerd and they changed their format to what it is today - reality shows(The Surreal Life, Celebrity Fit Club, Celebrity Rehab, America's Next Top Model) sprinkled with remnants of the old VH1(The 'I Love The...' Series among other things). This is still admittedly far better than the steaming pile of turd that is MTV's 'programming' nowadays, but still. You're more likely to catch repeats of old VH1 stuff on VH1 Classic, and even then, most of this stuff isn't there either because VH1 Classic is primarily a videos channel(nothing wrong with that). Although VH1 Classic has some nifty programming of its own - this new '60 Minutes: Classic' series is a great idea.

I'm really indifferent to MTV's decline over the years, because I really don't think they ever hit the peak that VH1 did in the 90s and early 00s. But VH1's decline depresses the hell out of me. VH1 really held on, almost a decade longer than MTV did, before selling out to the times.

But we always have the memory.

Sorry for this long, nostalgic thread.

Last edited:
Wow, yes, long thread, but you bring up a lot of good points. I used to absolutely looooove Pop-Up Video and Behind the Music. Every once in awhile, when I'm at home, I'll catch Pop-Up Video on VH1 Classic, and it's amazing. :drool:

I wish, I wish, I WISH I had VH1 classic. I'm not even sure our local digital cable option has it as a channel. :grumpy:

The same has happened to MuchMoreMusic in Canada. They used to show a lot of those older VH1 shows, and they used to show music videos too. Now it's Flavor Of Love, some Paula Abdul show, and the new Scott Baio show.

They do a similar "List" show now, except it's more along the lines of "The Top 10 _____ Musicians" every week.

And on the rare occasion, they'll play a Classic Albums episode. God I love that show...

Rock of Love is a guilty pleasure of mine--but I'd take Rock and Roll Jeopardy or Behind the Music or Legends over it anyday.

BluRmGrl said:

:drool: Oh, how I used to love watching Mark McGrath kick the other celebrity contestants asses on R&R Jeopardy. :up: :D

I saw Weird Al on there once.

He's the man.

Can I just say that I want to strangle Mo Rocca? That guy annoys me to the point where I literally threw pillows at the television when his face would come on.

A big part of why I stopped watching that channel.

lazarus said:
Can I just say that I want to strangle Mo Rocca? That guy annoys me to the point where I literally threw pillows at the television when his face would come on.

A big part of why I stopped watching that channel.

What does he do other than make me want to murder him?

Michael Ian Black is cool though.

MoRoccashot.jpg

Ooh, he so snarky.

He snark you long time.

No spoken words said:
Fuck VH1 and everything it stands for.

I couldn't wait for Cori to even speak for me. :)

Surely you only refer to VH1 as it is now....surely you don't refer to what it was up until five years ago.

And stop derailing my thread people!

Storytellers and Behind The music were the best now they can still be seen on my new love VH1 Classic :drool:

interesting thread...

thinking about it, the change was inevitable. as you mentioned in your description of the design of the format at it's inception, it was geared to older music fans in the '80's. by the mid 90's, these fans were 10 years older, probably had families or more important things to do than watch VH1 all day. however, there was a new crop of 20-somethings with disposable income and free time, the farts who grew up watching MTV in the '80's (me and my generation!). after 10 years of whittling down our collective attention span with MTV, i think they reckoned it wouldn't change with aging, so the format became distinctly more MTV-like. instead of updating the playlist to accomodate the exciting new music of the '90's and early 2000's, they just made progressively more shows catering to our collective growing fascination with celebrity.

i think VH1 began to lose it with 'behind the music'. to me, this represents when the programming began to focus on the celebrity aspect of musicians and lost focus on music. the show was sometimes interesting, but they made episodes for EVERYONE. and mostly they weren't interesting, just annoying. more about bickering bandmates than about the music and influences. i actually LOST interest in bands watching this show. that can't be good...

storytellers was, and still is, a great program. it's just scheduled so haphazardly. i never know when it's on. so i don't even try. and their decisions regarding which ones to air is mind-boggling. they showed that green day one about 10,000 times (and i like that album, but come on!). i think the smashing pumpkins episode was aired like twice. i've still never seen it...

how hard would it be to dedicate 2 or 3 hours to airing old MTV unplugged or 10 spot episodes on friday or saturday night. i'd gladly stay in to watch SRV's solo acoustic performance followed by radiohead from NYC 1997 followed by the cure playing toy pianos and bongos in a giant bed on their own unplugged . shit - i'd make a party out of it...

in the end, VH1 has become more like E! television than anything else. i don't begrudge the programmers or executives. they want to give the viewer what the viewer wants. apparently, this is what we want...
ho hum....

Well, with the expansion of the MTV networks, you can still watch music videos on any of their channels. But, first you have to wade through the shit they call programming. Believe it or not, MTV and VH-1 still play music videos, just not very often. But if videos are what you want from the MTV networks, here are some suggestions:
MTV 2
MTV Tres
MTV Hits
VH-1 Classic
VH-1 Soul

i honestly don't care for music videos.
i understand that their an essential bit of the music industry now.
but i think it's a shit format.
i'm a big fan of live music. wish there was a live music performances channel...
now THAT would be something...
:drool:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I have Wow. :mad:

We switched from them a few months ago when Comcast was running some promo deal. We just had basic with WOW so no Classic, but I'm surprised they don't even have it in their digital line-up. That blows.:(

namkcuR said:

The List

Does anybody remember this show? It only lasted for one season but I looooooved it and really hope to get my hands on those episodes somehow.

It was where they'd get a group of 4-5 celebrities, sometimes all from the same show or band or whatever, and they'd sit in a circle and make top 5 lists(top 5 bands, top 5 rock songs, top 5 albums, top 5 pop songs, top 5 videos, top 5 this, top 5 that), and at the end the audience would get to vote on it. Fucking awesome show. Rob Gordon would have loved it.

I loved that show. :drool:

No spoken words said:
I am pretty clear about how I feel about VH1, though. Cori, if you wander back in here, you can speak for me, no? :)

Sorry, my friend. I was out all last night gallivanting with friends prior to the U23D flick.

VH1 = snark made for snarky people

:drool:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom