The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
Why do the Killers get a 10+ page thread when a much better album came out today too?

I LOVE this album. I think the only weak track is The Perfect Crime, and I'm head over heels in love with the two 10 minute plus epics. Has anyone else picked it up? Along with The Eraser and At War With The Mystics, it's one of my favorite albums of the year.

I'm hopefully seeing the Decemberists at CMJ early next month. So excited!

If any of you are interested in formally reviewing The Crane Wife, please email me. :)

I would like to confirm what the imp has said to be true (except that I like all of the songs including Perfect Crime). The Decemberists seemingly can do no wrong, this album is better than I was expecting, and I was expecting a lot. Great stuff.

Like all of the band's albums, I feel that this one is way overrated while still being fundamentally solid. I'd give it a healthy 6.9-7.2/10. I think it's good, but in three months, I bet I'll never listen to it again.

Sorry! I don't mean to hate. Good band and all, I just don't quite get the super-fuss, is all.

If you shout... said:
Like all of the band's albums, I feel that this one is way overrated while still being fundamentally solid. I'd give it a healthy 6.9-7.2/10. I think it's good, but in three months, I bet I'll never listen to it again.

Sorry! I don't mean to hate. Good band and all, I just don't quite get the super-fuss, is all.

Its not music for music. It has little atmosphere or even intense artistic merit.

That said its not campy or half hearted either.

It is music sung by a guy with the OED right at hand. The songs are more like short stories for me. If Homer had cut a record in acient greece it might have sounded like this. I feel like I would return to this album like one might be drawn to a collection of short stories.

I can see where you are comming from though.

I love this album, one of the best this year, 'The Perfect Crime' is even funky! haha

my favorite tracks:
When The War Came
The Island (its three parts)
Shankill Butchers
Summersong

the whole thing is amazing

O Valencia isn't one of my favorites from the new album, but I enjoyed the performance anyway.

I really wish I was as into them as I am now when I saw them at ACL in 2005.

Such an amazing album. Best of the year for me. I really like The Perfect Crime though. One of my favs on the album :up:. It's hard to beat the Crane Wife trilogy of songs though. man oh man.

One of the year's best..........anyone see them in concert? Quite good and they play nearly every track from this album. There's some interesting cutting floor b-sides that they played as well......worth looking for.

Back
Top Bottom