The Darkness... I've converted into a fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Bought the album b/c of the "Thing Called Love" song and I think its one of the best albums out there (joke band or no). "Thing Called Love" is a rocking classic. The sound of the band and the guitar play is what's missing in mainstream music today as well as alt rock. Justin Hawkins makes me smile...

The energy is what Oasis should have had but didn't on Heathen Chemistry and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants.

If this band play their cards right they could really do something with the sound that they have.... in other words they could be truly great...

If this band play their cards right they could really do something with the sound that they have.... in other words they could be truly great...

They were weren't they, back in the late 80's, I thought they rocked back then...:wink:

The lead singer of The Darkness sings so high! But not like Bono's high voice, to me. Do they have lyrics that aren't about love? I really like their song "A Little Thing Called Love!"

I love em, I heard a live recording of a gig of theirs from a music festival here in Austrlia over our Summer and that sold me big time, I rekon they would be great live, you could really hear the intensity and fun in the recording.............and it is so good to hear some more classic rock on the airwaves:wink:

Darkness (what's with all the rock cliche rehashing? they insist they'll only play one festival in the UK whichever venue pays them the most - so make fans come to that show or not see them at festival at all) or White Stripes (overrated if you ask me) don't do anything for me musically, plus their singers annoy me with their high voices.

I BELEIVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE.....(Don't know what he says)...... I BELEIVE IN ATHING CALLED LOVE....
I love that song! I used to not but then it just grew on me:)!!!!!

Last edited:
Same thing with me! He has a high voice but different than Bono's high voice, to me.

Angela Harlem said:
The White Stripes suck arse.
But I've only heard seven nation army.
That was enough.
:wink:

HOW DARE YOU!!! I like them!!!

Cliques I say! Cliques!!!

:p

Hehe. Now that I've got that out of the way... I dig the White Stripes, though they are a bit of a one trick pony. It'd be nice to hear Meg play something other than a straight 4 beat rhythm, but I dig Jack's guitar work, and some of their songs kick major ass. Some of them don't.

To be honest, I would like the Darkness a lot more than I already do if Justin didn't use the falsetto at every conceivable opportunity. Some of the chorus's sound a little weak and hard to understand when he flips to falsetto. Sometimes it seems to be used just for a "look how high I can sing this!" when it could work just as well an octave (or 2 ;)) lower.

Last edited:
The falsetto is key for me. I was turned off by it at first but you know if he sang just regular, the songs would lose some of its panache or style and sound similar to played out hard rock to a degree. It gives them their unique sound outside of the guitars.

The White Stripes have grown on me even more after I bought De Stijl... Its the best record I've heard from them even with the release of Elephant and White Blood Cells.

Headache in Suitcase's article/ post with Bono and Bob Dylan and their observations on music IMO is what the White Stripes realize in their recordings and its great to hear the blues on mainstream radio...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom