THE DARKNESS' Asking Fee For U.K. Festival Appearance: $1.8 Million

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bunbury

Refugee
THE DARKNESS have asked for a massive ?1million fee (approx. $1.8 million) to play this year's Glastonbury Festival, according to NME.com.

The figure is a far cry from the ?75 (approx. $136) they were paid to play their Friday morning opening set last year.

Today festival organizer Michael Eavis told the Daily Mirror: "It's incredible how much things change in a year."

"When we booked them last year they were just a pub band no-one had heard of. We paid them ?75 but they were thrilled to be given the opportunity."

Since THE DARKNESS' appearance at the festival last year, the group's debut album, "Permission To Land", has sold 1.2 million copies in the U.K. alone. In addition, the CD has achieved gold status in the U.S. for sales in excess of 500,000 copies.

A source close to THE DARKNESS told the Daily Mirror: "To play Glastonbury this year, they'd want ?1million. The way they see it, they'd worked long and hard to get where they are and feel entitled to make the most of their success."

I was a little outraged when I read the headline, but I thought about it. You know something good for them. They should milk their success until their 15 minutes are over. More power to them :wink:

smooshcat said:
But Glastonbury gives a lot of the proceeds to Greenpeace and Oxfam......
So a few whales die and a few thousand people starve to death, so long as the Darkness get rich what else matters in this world.

even if the Darkness won't ever make another pound with their music then whales will still die and thousands of people will still starve to death

Back
Top Bottom