The Dark Side of the Moon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I somewhat certain I've said it before, and I'll say it again, one of my new year's resolutions was to broaden my musical horizons. So after picking up Sgt. Peppers and giving it numerous whirls, I finally went and bought the only other album which recieves about the same amount of critical acclaim as Sgt. Peppers (or as far as I could see anyway): The Dark Side of the Moon.

Dad's had it on record for ages, but I needed it myself before I could really get into it. In my opinion it's album that is quite tough to rate song-by-song, so I'll just throw around my thoughts about it. Again, post as much trivia, ratings, opinions as you want, that's what makes a good thread.

Speak to Me/Breathe came as one song on my CD, and I rather enjoyed Breathe. Good vocals, sounds very lost-hope, desperation. The lyrics throughout the album are terrific.
On the Run I found quite annoying, but for instrumentals it is quite relevant to the title which is a little different.
Time/Breathe (Reprise) I really liked, especially the way in which the second and fourth verses are sung. The intro is slow, but effective. Again the vocals have that very hopeless sound to them.
The Great Gig in the Sky, even without lyrics, is very good, I really like Clare Torry's vocal work on this track, and the wailing suits both the theme and the song. Great instrumental behind her really brings out the song.
Money I suppose was the only song I knew prior, and while I do love that solo, I have never really liked this song much. The vocals throw me off at times, I can't really explain it but something about the song just irritates me. Great guitar throughout.
Us and Them is at this stage my favourite song on the album. Although the longest you never really notice. I mean the album sounds like one track, 42:54 minutes in length, not serregated songs. Despite I suppose the slowness of the verses I really like this song, with the brass work as well. But it is "Forward he cried," "Haven't you heard," and "Out of the way," verses which really stand out. Those verses or lines are the best parts of the album for me.
Any Colour You Like is really quality instrumental. Who knows how many things are used, and I think a very good transition between Us and Them and Brain Damage, really good guitar in the middle section as well.
Brain Damage/Eclipse contains some of the most uplifting and optimistic music that I have ever heard, even if the lyrics might not reflect that. The final three minutes of the album is pure magic. The chorus is outstanding, and the female backing vocal is great in the chorus. Eclipse is quickly becoming my most played song on iTunes/iPod. Terrific vocals, and awesome work all round. The instrumental from about three minutes left is magic. The ending of the vocals, "All that is now, all that is gone, all that's to come, and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." is just magnificent, I bet there would be many a people who could happily pass away having that as the last thing they hear.

Overall, very good album, quite easy to see why it is rated so highly by so many.

Your thoughts.

As most may know by now, I am an avid Floyd fan, and, although Dark Side is not my favorite, it is certainly their best. It is a genuine classic in the sense that it captures, or even demands, the attention and respect of successive generations; the songwriting and lyrical themes are universally resonating, and the quality of the musicianship, especially from Gilmour and Wright, is superb. Furthermore, it only becomes better with successive listenings.
Now that you have heard it, you can move on to Wish You Were Here, and, if you are anything like me, the others will follow in rapid succession.

One of the greatest rock albums ever..

One of the most important albums ever..

brilliant production
brilliant song writing
brilliant songs

what else can you say about this album.....?

I love the opening....
I love how it goes right into breathe:drool:

Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care
Leave, but don't leave me
Look around
Choose your own ground

one of my favorite lines:drool:

Last edited:
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me till Im sane
You lock the door
And throw away the key
Theres someone in my head but its not me.

Roger Waters is my god :drool: :drool:

I think the album cover is the most iconic peice of artwork ever.

vaz02 said:
I think the album cover is the most iconic peice of artwork ever.

DSOTM.jpg

:drool:

Time = 7 mins and 4 seconds of bliss.

Chris Martin said:
Prog rock :barf:

Every single one of your posts. :barf:

Anyway, welcome to the dark side, COBL_04. It's a good Floyd starting point, DSOTM is. But if you liked the album, you'll really want to explore their other work. Dark Side is the album that sells the most but it isn't anywhere close to being the best Pink Floyd album. Check out Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall...preferably in that order. :wink: If you like those, chances are you'll like the rest of the Floyd catalogue.

Oh, and you might appreciate On The Run a little more knowing that it features probably the first real use of the VCS3 synthesiser in rock music! Watch this, it's cool. David Gilmour and Roger Waters demonstrating how On The Run was done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w46h9RvgLwY

Took me a while to appreciate this album for some reason. But now I completely love it. :up:
I'm going to be checking out a laser light show with DSOTM as backing music next month. It should be amazing :drool:

PlaTheGreat said:
Took me a while to appreciate this album for some reason. But now I completely love it. :up:
I'm going to be checking out a laser light show with DSOTM as backing music next month. It should be amazing :drool:

Are you going back to 1978?

Please take me with you.

Chris Martin said:
U2 fans can be so rude :(

Pot calling the kettle black. If you don't like prog rock, don't open a thread labeled "The Dark Side Of The Moon." Simple.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Are you going back to 1978?

Please take me with you.

And me!

Pla, you could probably go see DSOTM performed live...considering that on the t-shirts for Roger's 2007 tour, Tampa and West Palm Beach are listed! Nothing confirmed yet, though.

These are the unconfirmed RW cites, probably starting mid or late May:

MAY
West Palm Beach
Tampa
Atlanta
24 New Jersey - Continental Airlines Arena TBA On Sale 19 March
30 New York City - MSG TBA On Sale 19 March

JUNE
1 Philadelphia - Wachovia Center Viptickets
Ottawa
Toronto
Montreal
9 Chicago - United Center Ticketmaster
Viptickets Pre Sale Now On!
Hollywood
Irvine
Las Vegas
Oakland
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Omaha
Saint Paul
Milwaukee

JULY 9 Boston - Fleet Centre
Hartford
Darien Lake

GibsonGirl said:
Oh, and you might appreciate On The Run a little more knowing that it features probably the first real use of the VCS3 synthesiser in rock music! Watch this, it's cool. David Gilmour and Roger Waters demonstrating how On The Run was done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w46h9RvgLwY

Oh my God! Hadn't seen this before! Gilmour's demonstration of speeding up that keyboard tune was :combust:

One of the greatest albums in the history of rock. I'm a diehard Floyd fan and I personally prefer Wish You Were Here, but it's easy to see why Dark Side of the Moon has the staying power it does. Some publication should hire you as a reviewer, you aced this assignment. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
OK, I need to stop turning this into a RW thread. :lol: Brain Damage / Eclipse music video, one of my favourites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkVl8UhWmA

I agree, with the stopping! I'm now officially addicted to Roger Waters interviews :grumpy:

I really love Us and Them--the song, and the philosophy. Pretty compelling. I just might make the trip to TO if that concert date stands.

Zootlesque said:

Oh my God! Hadn't seen this before! Gilmour's demonstration of speeding up that keyboard tune was :combust:

It's completely hot. :combust: That whole DVD is worth having - very interesting stuff.

angelordevil said:

I agree, with the stopping! I'm now officially addicted to Roger Waters interviews :grumpy:

I really love Us and Them--the song, and the philosophy. Pretty compelling. I just might make the trip to TO if that concert date stands.

:lol: They are pretty damn addicting. I love listening to him talk. His interviews are always very thought provoking. And I'll see you on the dark side of the Air Canada Centre! :wink: I'm 99% sure at this point that I'll be going to see ol' Rog for a second time and I can't wait. Most of the screen projections have apparently changed since the 2006 tour, and they're apparently even better. I don't know how on earth that's possible, because they were amazing the first time I saw them!

Top 5 Floyd albums for me:

1. Animals
2. Meddle
3. Dark Side Of The Moon
4. Wish You Were Here
5. The Wall

DSoTM is a fantastic album and the best way to introduce yourself to the band. They certainly don't make them like they used to. :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

It's completely hot. :combust: That whole DVD is worth having - very interesting stuff.

It certainly is an intriguing DVD. I love how Gilmour is so matter-of-fact about everything that went on with the recording sessions, as though he is not at all impressed that he was an integral part of some of the greatest and most innovative recordings ever made.

cdisantis83 said:

It certainly is an intriguing DVD. I love how Gilmour is so matter-of-fact about everything that went on with the recording sessions, as though he is not at all impressed that he was an integral part of some of the greatest and most innovative recordings ever made.

Heh, yes. Dave did seem rather nonchalant about everything. Oh, how I'd love to get behind that mixing desk and just fiddle with all the faders like he was! And I love the face he makes when he hears the high note in the Money solo. It's sort of a half grin, half grimace.

Back
Top Bottom