The Dark Side of the Moon - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 03:28 AM
The Dark Side of the Moon

I somewhat certain I've said it before, and I'll say it again, one of my new year's resolutions was to broaden my musical horizons. So after picking up Sgt. Peppers and giving it numerous whirls, I finally went and bought the only other album which recieves about the same amount of critical acclaim as Sgt. Peppers (or as far as I could see anyway): The Dark Side of the Moon.

Dad's had it on record for ages, but I needed it myself before I could really get into it. In my opinion it's album that is quite tough to rate song-by-song, so I'll just throw around my thoughts about it. Again, post as much trivia, ratings, opinions as you want, that's what makes a good thread.

Speak to Me/Breathe came as one song on my CD, and I rather enjoyed Breathe. Good vocals, sounds very lost-hope, desperation. The lyrics throughout the album are terrific.
On the Run I found quite annoying, but for instrumentals it is quite relevant to the title which is a little different.
Time/Breathe (Reprise) I really liked, especially the way in which the second and fourth verses are sung. The intro is slow, but effective. Again the vocals have that very hopeless sound to them.
The Great Gig in the Sky, even without lyrics, is very good, I really like Clare Torry's vocal work on this track, and the wailing suits both the theme and the song. Great instrumental behind her really brings out the song.
Money I suppose was the only song I knew prior, and while I do love that solo, I have never really liked this song much. The vocals throw me off at times, I can't really explain it but something about the song just irritates me. Great guitar throughout.
Us and Them is at this stage my favourite song on the album. Although the longest you never really notice. I mean the album sounds like one track, 42:54 minutes in length, not serregated songs. Despite I suppose the slowness of the verses I really like this song, with the brass work as well. But it is "Forward he cried," "Haven't you heard," and "Out of the way," verses which really stand out. Those verses or lines are the best parts of the album for me.
Any Colour You Like is really quality instrumental. Who knows how many things are used, and I think a very good transition between Us and Them and Brain Damage, really good guitar in the middle section as well.
Brain Damage/Eclipse contains some of the most uplifting and optimistic music that I have ever heard, even if the lyrics might not reflect that. The final three minutes of the album is pure magic. The chorus is outstanding, and the female backing vocal is great in the chorus. Eclipse is quickly becoming my most played song on iTunes/iPod. Terrific vocals, and awesome work all round. The instrumental from about three minutes left is magic. The ending of the vocals, "All that is now, all that is gone, all that's to come, and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." is just magnificent, I bet there would be many a people who could happily pass away having that as the last thing they hear.

Overall, very good album, quite easy to see why it is rated so highly by so many.

Your thoughts.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:28 AM
As most may know by now, I am an avid Floyd fan, and, although Dark Side is not my favorite, it is certainly their best. It is a genuine classic in the sense that it captures, or even demands, the attention and respect of successive generations; the songwriting and lyrical themes are universally resonating, and the quality of the musicianship, especially from Gilmour and Wright, is superb. Furthermore, it only becomes better with successive listenings.
Now that you have heard it, you can move on to Wish You Were Here, and, if you are anything like me, the others will follow in rapid succession.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:28 PM
One of the greatest rock albums ever..

One of the most important albums ever..

brilliant production
brilliant song writing
brilliant songs

what else can you say about this album.....?

I love the opening....
I love how it goes right into breathe

Quote:
Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care
Leave, but don't leave me
Look around
Choose your own ground
one of my favorite lines
Old 02-12-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me till Im sane
You lock the door
And throw away the key
Theres someone in my head but its not me.
Roger Waters is my god
Old 02-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

One of the best albums of all time!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Brilliant album, and even better to see it performed in its entirety live!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:28 PM
I think the album cover is the most iconic peice of artwork ever.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02
I think the album cover is the most iconic peice of artwork ever.

Time = 7 mins and 4 seconds of bliss.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
The Fly

Prog rock
Old 02-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Martin
Prog rock
Every single one of your posts.

Anyway, welcome to the dark side, COBL_04. It's a good Floyd starting point, DSOTM is. But if you liked the album, you'll really want to explore their other work. Dark Side is the album that sells the most but it isn't anywhere close to being the best Pink Floyd album. Check out Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall...preferably in that order. If you like those, chances are you'll like the rest of the Floyd catalogue.

Oh, and you might appreciate On The Run a little more knowing that it features probably the first real use of the VCS3 synthesiser in rock music! Watch this, it's cool. David Gilmour and Roger Waters demonstrating how On The Run was done:
Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Took me a while to appreciate this album for some reason. But now I completely love it.
I'm going to be checking out a laser light show with DSOTM as backing music next month. It should be amazing
Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
The Fly

U2 fans can be so rude
Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #13
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
Took me a while to appreciate this album for some reason. But now I completely love it.
I'm going to be checking out a laser light show with DSOTM as backing music next month. It should be amazing
Are you going back to 1978?

Please take me with you.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Martin
U2 fans can be so rude
Pot calling the kettle black. If you don't like prog rock, don't open a thread labeled "The Dark Side Of The Moon." Simple.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
The Fly

okey dokey