The Dark Side of the Moon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xaviMF22 said:
Meddle ---> my favorite Pink Floyd album

one of these days:drool:

fearless :drool:

echoes :drool:

:yes: My favorite too (probably tied with Animals, but it depends on my mood).

No mention of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn? It was (among TDSOTM, The Wall and WYWH) listed as part of 1001 albums you must hear before you die.

I saw Roger Waters in concert tonight. It was a pretty good gig.
In the second part of the concert he played the Dark Side Of The Moon album in full. Held up pretty well after 30+ years, apart from a section here or there.
And all those Pink Floyd songs he played weren't too shabby either.
:)

COBL_04 said:
No mention of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn? It was (among TDSOTM, The Wall and WYWH) listed as part of 1001 albums you must hear before you die.

:yikes: Don't bring that one up. I'm probably one of three people that actually hates that record, but I don't consider it essential by any means.

COBL_04 said:

Piper is a difficult listen, and very much a product of the times. Most reviewers regard it very highly, yet it has never really grown on me.
The logical place to go after Dark Side is Wish You Were, which is possibly even better than its more illustrious predecessor. From there, The Wall and Meddle are probably the next steps; Animals and The Final Cut are both brilliant albums, yet they too are inaccessible, the latter wildly so, and will take multiple listens to fully appreciate. I would say that the last two to investigate would be Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma; the latter is the only Floyd album that I find difficult to listen to in its entirety.

COBL_04 said:

Piper at the Gates is a completely different genre of Pink Floyd. On your first listen, don't expect anything. In fact, just forget they are a band called Pink Floyd at the moment because they are really nothing alike. It is a brilliant record though, but I have to be in a mood to listen to it. And it's not a very Pink Floyd mood. It's psychedelic. :drool:
I like it though. There's a lot of fun in that album. They kinda lost the fun after Syd left and became a serious band. It's both wonderful and sad. :(

Bike! :hyper:

xaviMF22 said:
The Final Cut:drool: :drool:

can someone start an appreciation thread? :wink:

Perhaps. :hmm:

Piper is a great album. As Pla said, you just have to ignore Pink Floyd's '68-'94 output, because they were a completely different band with Syd. Viritually unrecognisable from what they were to become. I mean, just compare these two videos:

Arnold Layne (1967): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjjMX7_TszE

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (Live 1970, recorded 1968): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcbWOfJwEYk

You wouldn't think it was the same band.

GibsonGirl said:

As Pla said, you just have to ignore Pink Floyd's '68-'94 output, because they were a completely different band with Syd. Viritually unrecognisable from what they were to become.

I agree with much of that; however, one notable exception, at least in my mind, would be Interstellar Overdrive. It seems as though that song served as a blueprint for the epics that would come in the future, i.e. Saucerful of Secrets, AHM, and Echoes. Even later songs like Sheep and Empty Spaces seem to owe quite a bit to Interstellar.

I really, really love Meddle, but it's not better than:

Animals
Dark Side
or The Wall.

:drool:

xaviMF22 said:

srsly its their best album

fearless bitches :rockon::drool:

Was Fearless Bitches a limited edition? I can't find any reviews :angry:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I really, really love Meddle, but it's not better than:

Animals
Dark Side
or The Wall.

:drool:

I think Animals might be the best of the those three, especially in terms of production...I'll give a slight edge to the farm animal sounds over helicopters and alarm clocks. Overall, I think it's also more timeless. "Whitehouse, ha ha charade you are"...pretty current!

xaviMF22 said:

:yes: :madspit:

anyway Echoes:drool: :drool:

Wish you were Here :drool: :drool:

I've heard Echoes. Apparently a lot of work went into making the running order pretty seamless.

Sadly, it looks like all future sarcastic replies must be accompanied by a :wink: :(

angelordevil said:

Overall, I think it's also more timeless. "Whitehouse, ha ha charade you are"...pretty current!

It's actually not all that current, heh. It's a reference to Mary Whitehouse, that old British prude who tried to censor everything, particularly in the 60s/70s. I think she died several years ago. Her verse is hilarious! "You're nearly a real treat, all tight lips and cold feet, and do you feel abused? *suggestive sexual breathing*" Censor that, Mary!

But regardless, Animals is still a perfect record. I love Meddle, and depending on my mood, I often rate it quite high. However, I really don't think it holds up as a complete album when compared to the Pink Floyd greats, especially Animals.

GibsonGirl said:

It's actually not all that current, heh.

I didn't know it was about her...interesting...and embarrassing, at the same time! :wink:

I love that song, however...and the "Big man, pig man" part really reminds me of someone in Washington. I get a similar sense from Sheep. The overall theme of the album holds up really well, in a socio-political way. It's really genius. Maybe that's why I'm drawn to it...it's like a musical snapshot of the world.

GG, have you seen Children of Men? It's a kind of dark and dreary apocalyptic look at the future, with a few Pink Floyd references to boot. The most obvious one being the inflatable pig. I've read that it's actually the very same pig from the Animals shoot, but I'm not sure. It's not a perfect movie, but it's one that makes you think for days after seeing it. It's probably going to be released on dvd soon. I highly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom