¡The Da Vinci Code!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unosdostres14

Refugee
I just read this book (well i'm almost done....a few chapters left) and i'm curious to see the reaction of devout Christians. Like, with all the stuff it says about Mary Magdelene, Jesus, and the Holy Grail. I mean, the way it is presented seems very logical and informational, but I want to know people's responses.

i read it, and although im not really like a devout christian, i think it makes a lot more sense than the 'holy' books out there!

:up: I'm a devout Christian and I still read the book. Once I picked up the book, I couldn't put it down. After each chapter it left me hanging on the edge.

I thought the book was brilliant. It really didn't change my opinion about Christianity or anything though. It depends on how someone translates the book and absorbs it. I kind of found some of the stuff pretty cool, but my beliefs are still the same. It actually made my faith grow stronger. I became very curious about my religion afterwards and tried to learn more about my faith.

Great book though. Dan Brown is a superb author. I'm on the verge of beginning his other book 'Digital Fortress'. My friends all recommended this book and 'Deception Point'.

Yeah...even if you don't believe a lot of Christianity stuff....it is extremely interesting and I also COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN AT ALL!

I thought Sesame Street's "There's A Monster At the End of This Book" had more suspense. :wink:

It wasn't anything radically new to me, that might have been part of it.

I'm not a religious person, but this book, as literary piece.... sucks, a lot

I've read both Angels and Demons and DaVinci Code, they were quite easy reads and enjoyable, but not as literary works. Both books work better as movie scripts (which IMO was the original intention of the author anyway).

Last edited:
I've read it. It's an interesting mystery novel. The thing is...it is a fiction novel.

Now some of the theories it was based from are interesting...I may not buy ALL but them but I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts...

Yeah...I just think that the connections he makes are incredible. Like with the Last Supper and stuff. It's just really cool. The connections he makes about Christianity are interesting though. I think that a lot of people who are like, "THIS BOOK IS COMPLETE, TOTAL CRAP" (without giving any reason why the book is bad in a literature sense) have a difficult time questioning their beliefs.

unosdostres14 said:
Yeah...I just think that the connections he makes are incredible. Like with the Last Supper and stuff. It's just really cool. The connections he makes about Christianity are interesting though. I think that a lot of people who are like, "THIS BOOK IS COMPLETE, TOTAL CRAP" (without giving any reason why the book is bad in a literature sense) have a difficult time questioning their beliefs.

The book does not offend me as a person of faith, it offends me as a historian and a person of reason.

diamond said:
loved both books.

i esp like the part where they said Jesus was a Republican:sexywink:

db9

oh please.....

anyway, what is this book about ?

I thought it was written very well, the research alone is quite impressive and its all how you as a person translate it.
It is a novel and people have to remember that.

phanan said:
The author, Dan Brown, lives two towns over from me. Let's just say he's quite popular around here now. Yet I haven't gotten myself to read this yet.

that must be interesting.
the thought of running into him at a grocery store :lol:

I think Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" is a better novel on this subject.

Melon

both the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons are great reads - not exactly high literary content but fun to read and bring up religious questions.

I preferred Angles and Demons but I think the Da Vinci Code will make a great movie

I've reade all four of Dan Brown's books. He's a great author in my opinion. All his books have factual background information that's so interesting, to me, anyways.

All the facts put into the DaVinci Code (my favorite book of all time) makes you wonder about different things. I've always been rased a Catholic and I still believe in God and the Church and all that...but it still makes you question it all.

...I loved that book!

I read the book. It didn't change any of my Catholic beliefs......I'd come to the stuff about Jesus and Mary Magdeline and stuff and think "hey, I'd rather believe my catechism than a popular writer". It was a good read, I did enjoy reading the book, and I don't think it's anything to be upset about. Some Christians really burned up alot of emotional steam over it, but I didn't.

Angels and Demons is a much better book. I was really dissapointed that Da Vinci isn't really the milestone in the book that the title paints it to be.

To those that say it has crappy sense of history, which parts are inaccurate? Brown just says everything in such a matter of fact way that you really can't help but take for granted what he's saying.

He's a very amateurish author, too, I don't know why I get that sense. The whole Mickey Mouse watch thing is just :barf:.

If you read The Da Vinci Code you at least need to do yourself a favor and read The Da Vinci Hoax as well. 'Nuff said.

Back
Top Bottom