the curse of the number 17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
today is the anniversary of the most horrible family murder in the entire history of civilization.

early in the wee hours of 7uly 17, 1918, former tsar nicholas romanov along with his family including tsarevich alexei were gunned down by bolsheviks in the ipatiev house in yekaterinaberg, russia.

the murder was as barbaric as any ever documented. sverdlov's son later told historian edvard radzinsky how the group of soldiers stood by the door and fired aimlessly into the room full of fallen aristocrats.

with smoke nearly making it impossible to see, the soldiers entered the room five minutes after the first shot was fired, and began stabbing the remaining victims to death.

or so they thought.

after the bodies were brought outside to a waiting truck, it was said alexei and one of the daughters all of a sudden sat straight up and screamed a blood-curdling plea for help before being stabbed again....but not before completely wrecking the nerves of their muderers.

i encourage you all to read the incredible story of one of the most powerful families in the world become sub7ect to the angry consequences of a people's revolution.

http://www.romanov-memorial.com/

Ipatiev.jpg

21-QZC04068_RCP05025-MASSIE-IPATIEV.jpg

tsarfam.jpg

Last edited:
that yakov yurovsky looks like quite the scoundrel, doesn't he?

i really can't believe how brutal this place has gotten that you can't even post a thread without people shitting on it, even when you're being serious.

Lemonade Stand isn't for serious threads, if you want to start a serious debate do it in FYM.

Oh I forgot, you don't go into FYM, there are adults there and people who might disagree with you and that scares you.

honestly, what the fuck?

don't you fucking come here and tell me how things work, when you've only been here for half a year.

what is your problem??

i can't even make a thread regarding one of the most interesting things i've ever read about without someone coming here and reaming me out?

For what it's worth, I thought this was interesting to read about. Thanks for posting it, Zoom.

well i must say i'm feeling better now that some of you have taken the time to actually show that you have any idea as to what this is about.

yes tim, modern history was my favourite as well.

you people who always try to fuck with bear should be stopped.

i was thinking, as i read the original post, that today is also the date (the 17th) that flight 800 went down nine years ago.

bonosgirl84 said:
you people who always try to fuck with bear should be stopped.

i was thinking, as i read the original post, that today is also the date (the 17th) that flight 800 went down nine years ago.

...forgive me, flight 800? which one was this again?

was that the flight that crashed 7ust off the atlantic coast?

yes, that was the one that went down in the atlantic, killing 230 people.

maybe you remember, some people said they thought they saw a missile going up toward it before it blew up. there was a big conspiracy theory that the government accidentally took it down, but no one was ever able to prove anything.

ah yes! the missile, i remember hearing all about that.

1997 was still a time where i wasn't really paying a lot of attention to the news, but that much i do recall.

in fact, i always think about that whenever i go to europe...not a good thought. :S

woah woah woah...

what film?

i'm trying to get my hands on anything regarding the last tsars on film...tell me more.

and financeguy, i'd like to point out that this thread actually DID serve a purpose, and the replies should prove that, no?

have any of you read the book 'the last tsar'?

it's amazing, even if the author takes a few too many liberties.

bonosgirl84 said:
but no one was ever able to prove anything.

Actually, the NTSB/FAA "proved" that there was no missle.

Give me some money...I could "prvoe" anything/everything.

And as for the Tsars...I have actually looked further into the topic because of Zommerang96's posts here and elsewhere. :angry:

I thought it was something about people turning 17 but of course it wasn't as I clicked on the thread.

Good bring this up zoomerang. It's something I've never really heard of... but then again, we really didn't touch much on Russian history during my days taking Global/World history classes.

:up:

Sevikins said:
I thought it was something about people turning 17 but of course it wasn't as I clicked on the thread.

Good bring this up zoomerang. It's something I've never really heard of... but then again, we really didn't touch much on Russian history during my days taking Global/World history classes.

:up:

:sexywink:

timothius said:

Are you a History teacher WHA? If so... awesome! Best subject in the world, both interesting & practical! :up:

I teach high school social studies, mostly history though. I have all world history classes this year. ( I start again in 1 month. )

It's one of the few topics my kids get interested in.

The movie Nicholas and Alexandra is great. It was made in 1971, I think. My copy is at school. It's available on DVD now too.

Rasputin, Trostsy, Lenin are all in it as well. A history teacher's dream come true video. aka: days I don't have to hear the sound of my own voice. :wink:

WildHoneyAlways said:

I teach high school social studies, mostly history though. I have all world history classes this year. ( I start again in 1 month. )

It's one of the few topics my kids get interested in.

The movie Nicholas and Alexandra is great. It was made in 1971, I think. My copy is at school. It's available on DVD now too.

I vaguely remember watching something last year that resembles that. Does that movie follow them all the way through to where they are burnt? I think we might be thinking about the same one.

You can't help but get into it - it's a really engaging story on so many levels. Mind you our entire Modern History cirriculum was pretty engaging, French Rev, Tsars, WWI, WWII, Cold War. :sigh:... those were the days.

yeah, those topics were so much better than terrorism.

terrorism doesn't have that definitive that all other "wars" or "battles" did. terrorism has no country, it's 7ust there - everywhere.

this isn't making sense, i'm going to sleep.

The film ends with the death scene. I can not tell you how much I like this movie. It is long but worth a watch.

have any of you read the book 'the last tsar'?

I haven't but it's now on my summer reading list! thanks. :)

You can't help but get into it - it's a really engaging story on so many levels. Mind you our entire Modern History cirriculum was pretty engaging, French Rev, Tsars, WWI, WWII, Cold War. ... those were the days.

I don't get to spend nearly enough time on this stuff b/c I'm forced to cover early river valley civ to present. Ha, ha. I know. I tend to do reader's digest version 1st semester and more in depth reading,/activities 2nd semester. I wish I could teach a modern history course. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom