The curse of the Blue Devil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
clinictriagecopy.jpg

This seems to be the path of recent Duke University basketball stars after they enter the NBA...

Jay Williams stars at Duke...
williams_jason.jpg

he goes to the NBA as the #2 pick behind Yao...
img5848433.jpg

and just this past month, he crashes his motorcycle into a telephone poll, fractures both legs, may never play again.

Bobby Hurley stars at Duke...
kiddtiny.gif

goes to the NBA...
hurley2.gif

is out of the league within a year after being thrown out the window of his pickup truck somewhere outside of Sacramento.

grant hill is a superstar at Duke...
ghill2.jpg

goes to the nba and is as good as advertised...
hillkidd95-1.jpg

doesn't sign with nike or rebock, but instead signs with up-and-commer Fila...
hill2out.jpg

develops cronich foot and ankle problems, caused, doctors say, by the way his Fila brand shoe was made. has missed most of the last 4 seasons, may never play a full season again
grant_hill_hurt.jpg

who is to blaim for all of this bad luck that Duke basketball stars have had? i think i have an idea...

smith.jpg

:(

Bobby Hurley is my all-time favorite player and my personal basketball idol. I wore #11 because of him, and it was so tragic to see his career end because some dumbass was driving around at night without his headlights on.

When the original Dream Team needed practice, they played against the top college players at the time, including Bobby Hurley. Apparently he was so good and gave John Stockton such a rough time defensively that Stockton refused to talk about it afterward. But Magic Johnson laughed and said that if he had gotten schooled like Stockton did, he wouldn't want to talk about it either. Wherever you are, Bobby, your fans still love you! :heart:

:heart: Duke Blue Devils :heart:

zonelistener said:
Isn't hurley back in NJ coaching somewhere...or is that his brother? :shrug:

I have no idea what Bobby or Danny is doing. Perhaps I'll look into it. :hmm:

Re: Bobby Hurley

Heartland Girl, you have the best possible taste in b-ball players! IMHO, I have never seen a sports figure in any sport who was as exciting to watch as Bobby Hurley was at Duke. I still have a few VHS tapes of Duke games around that era somewhere around my apartment.

Bobby Hurley was a racehorse owner a few years back, and he still might be. But he also wants to get into coaching, and applied for a job at Columbia University. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar applied for the same job...I don't know who eventually got it.

I would love to see him as assistant coach for Coach K at Duke. Bobby's probably one of Coach K's favorite ex-players ever.

Re: Re: Bobby Hurley

Diane L said:
But he also wants to get into coaching, and applied for a job at Columbia University. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar applied for the same job...I don't know who eventually got it.

i can answer that one...

that would be my main man joe jones, who of course is a winner of 1... count 'em... 1 game as a jv high school basketball coach at comsewogue high school on long island. he was brought on to hofstra as an assistant by jay wright, recommended by some guys he worked camps with. moved on to be an assistant at villanova university under steve lapas. lapas got fired so 'nova could higher a young up and comming coach from a small university... jay wright. [que harry chapin's all my life's a circle... now]. and from 'nova, joe went to columbia as the new head coach, beatin' out hurley and the master of the hook shot, mr. lew alcindor himself. joe's brother is the head coach of yale... both grew up in dix hills... went to half hollow hills west high school... can you tell yet that i've known joe jones for years? just wonderin'

Re: Re: Bobby Hurley

Diane L said:
Heartland Girl, you have the best possible taste in b-ball players! IMHO, I have never seen a sports figure in any sport who was as exciting to watch as Bobby Hurley was at Duke. I still have a few VHS tapes of Duke games around that era somewhere around my apartment.

Why, thank you! I have a penchant for point guards with athletic prowess, heart, and if possible, Britpop haircuts. :wink:

I loved watching Bobby play. He was so amazing! I know somewhere at my parents' house is a tape of the 1991 championship game. :up: And my mother complains that I own more Duke paraphernalia than Oklahoma (where I went to school). I've got championship t-shirts, posters, a Duke Starter jersey, a Bobby Hurley Kings jersey (old school colors!), a foam basketball autographed by Bobby and Danny...my sister and I would even make blue pancakes before Duke games in an attempt to rally. Not to mention how I tried to emulate Bobby on the court.

But I digress. It's always good to chat with other Bobby Hurley fans, though. I hope he gets into coaching sometime, and if he went back to Duke... :ohmy: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom