The Cure announce Rarities/B-sides Box Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
From www.thecure.com :

AT LAST THE BOXSET!

FIRST THE PUFF...
THE CURE: JOIN THE DOTS: B-SIDES AND RARITIES,
1978-2001 (THE FICTION YEARS)
Offers Fans First-Ever Collection of Hard-To-Find Gems Career-Spanning Four-Disc Set In Stores January 26th/27th, 2004. As The Cure nears its third decade at the forefront of pop culture, Universal, Rhino and Fiction/Elektra are celebrating the band's remarkable career with THE CURE: JOIN THE DOTS: B-SIDES AND RARITIES, 1978-2001 (THE FICTION YEARS), a spectacular four-disc treasury of hard-to-find gems, never-before-seen photos,
track by track breakdowns and extensive liner notes.
"The first thing I ever did when I got a new single," remembers Cure vocalist Robert Smith, "was flip it over and play the other side. I always hoped the B-side would give me another
version of the artist, something as good as the A-side but somehow different. I expected great B-sides from the artists I loved... "
Come 1978, when The Cure released their debut single, 'Killing An Arab,' Smith expected no less from himself than he had from his heroes. It's evident from the very first cut in this box set, '10:15 Saturday Night,' that he intended Cure B-sides
to be every bit as captivating as their better-known A-sides.
Among the 70 original and digitally re-mastered recordings included on JOIN THE DOTS are 'Another Journey By Train' (b-side of 'A Forest'), 'Sugar Girl' (b-side of 'Just Like Heaven'), 'Halo' (b-side of 'Friday I'm In Love'), a cover of David Bowie's 'Young Americans' and many, many more. THE CURE: JOIN THE DOTS: B-SIDES AND RARITIES, 1978-2001 (THE FICTION YEARS) will be available January 13, 2004 at all retail outlets and at www.rhino.com for a suggested retail price of $54.98. Robert Smith has Produced this first-ever collection of specialty songs, which includes a 76-page book filled with rare photos from Smith's
own archives, a track-by-track breakdown from Smith and bassist Simon Gallup and original commentary written by noted U.K. scribe Johnny Black. Alternative before alternative was the norm, The Cure formed in 1976 when Smith, a 17-year-old attending school in Sussex, formed The Easy Cure with schoolmates
Michael Dempsey (bass), Lol Tolhurst (drums) and local guitar hero Porl Thompson. The quartet began writing their own songs almost immediately, and quickly compiled an impressive repertoire of original material that included the seminal classics 'Boys Don't Cry' and '10:15 Saturday Night.' Over the course of the 27 years that followed, they weathered lineup changes and forged an extraordinary career highlighted by an astonishing
run of artistic and commercial achievement, including chart-topping hit singles, gold and platinum records, countless awards, critical acclaim and an international fan base that follows the band with near religious fervor. They have secured their place in music history by shaping modern rock as we know it today.
In January of 2003, The Cure signed worldwide to Ross Robinson's iam Records, heralding the start of another chapter in the history of one of the few bands in the world able to continually combine innovation, integrity and intelligence with mass global success.

...AND THEN THE HIT!

THE BOXSET - 500+ MINUTES WORTH - CONTAINS...
THE CURE - JOIN THE DOTS - B-SIDES AND RARITIES 1978-2001 - THE FICTION YEARS

CD1 (1978 - 1987)
01. 10:15 SATURDAY NIGHT
02. PLASTIC PASSION
03. PILLBOX TALES
04. DO THE HANSA
05. I'M COLD
06. ANOTHER JOURNEY BY TRAIN
07. DESCENT
08. SPLINTERED IN HER HEAD
09. LAMENT (flexipop version)
10. JUST ONE KISS
11. THE DREAM
12. THE UPSTAIRS ROOM
13. LAMENT
14. SPEAK MY LANGUAGE
15. MR PINK EYES
16. HAPPY THE MAN
17. THROW YOUR FOOT
18. NEW DAY
19. THE EXPLODING BOY
20. A FEW HOURS AFTER THIS...
21. A MAN INSIDE MY MOUTH
22. STOP DEAD

CD2 (1987 - 1992)
01. A JAPANESE DREAM
02. BREATHE
03. A CHAIN OF FLOWERS
04. SNOW IN SUMMER
05. SUGAR GIRL
06. ICING SUGAR (weird remix)
07. HEY YOU!!! (kevorkian 12" remix)
08. HOW BEAUTIFUL YOU ARE (clearmountain 7" remix)
09. TO THE SKY
10. BABBLE
11. OUT OF MIND
12. 2 LATE
13. FEAR OF GHOSTS
14. HELLO I LOVE YOU (psychedelic version)
15. HELLO I LOVE YOU
16. HELLO I LOVE YOU (10sec version)
17. HAROLD AND JOE
18. JUST LIKE HEAVEN ('chuck' remix)

CD3 (1992 - 1996)
01. THIS TWILIGHT GARDEN
02. PLAY
03. HALO
04. SCARED AS YOU
05. THE BIG HAND
06. A FOOLISH ARRANGEMENT
07. DOING THE UNSTUCK (saunders 12" remix)
08. PURPLE HAZE (virgin radio version)
09. PURPLE HAZE
10. BURN
11. YOUNG AMERICANS
12. DREDD SONG
13. IT USED TO BE ME
14. OCEAN
15. ADONAIS

CD4 (1996 - 2001)
01. HOME
02. WAITING
03. A PINK DREAM
04. THIS IS A LIE (palmer remix)
05. WRONG NUMBER (smith remix)
06. MORE THAN THIS
07. WORLD IN MY EYES
08. POSSESSION
09. OUT OF THIS WORLD (oakenfold remix)
10. MAYBE SOMEDAY (hedges remix)
11. COMING UP
12. SIGNAL TO NOISE (acoustic version)
13. SIGNAL TO NOISE
14. JUST SAY YES(curve remix)
15. A FOREST (plati/slick version)

oh man, my bank account is going to seriously start suffering soon.

I need to get this!

am I shelling out for this? no, not too big a fan (yet) to do that.

i'm happy for the rest of you though, that looks pretty much manna from heaven for any Cure-phile. :up:

Nice to see this longtime promised B-Sides collection finally surface.
Between this and the bonus discs on the remasters, Cure fans will have almost 20 new discs of rare, and unheard material to collect in 2004.

This is coming out Tuesday. Just thought I'd remind you all.

coverjtd.jpg

I'm not sure when I'll be getting it....I dont know if I want to fork out $50 to $60 of cd money for this right now. There are some others I'd like first (dont worry, I'll be getting it sooner or later!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom