The Cult are reforming....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
Remember The Cult.. I sure do..

Looks like Ian Astbury is working on reforming the band..

Here's the blurb from CNN....

Elsewhere, Ian Astbury has moved on from playing in a band with members of the Doors to relaunch his '80s hard rock group The Cult, the singer said Thursday. The Doors band, called Riders on the Storm, also featured original Doors members Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger.

"I have learned a great deal from the both of them, and it certainly has expanded my abilities as a performer," Astbury said of the '60s legends. "This has been a difficult decision to make but I feel I would be holding them back as well as myself if I did not depart at this time."

Astbury, a singer heavily influenced by the late Doors frontman Jim Morrison, will now focus on "relaunching" The Cult with guitarist Billy Duffy.

"I have decided to move on and focus on my own music and legacy," Astbury, 44, said in a statement e-mailed by The Cult's publicist Todd Brodginski.

Riders on the Storm, according to group manager Tom Vitorino, will continue to perform and is looking at a short list of potential vocalists, Brodginski said.

The group just finished a sold-out tour of Europe, Brodginski said.

Britain's The Cult gained fame in the '80s with such hits as "She Sells Sanctuary," "Revolution" and "Rain."

So let's discuss....:wink:

One of my favorite bands...put together an eclectic body of work. Few bands have gone the New Wave/Heavy Metal/Alternative route, but the Cult were the pioneers!!

I love the "Electric" album. I had that and "The Joshua Tree" in heavy rotation in 1987!!! :rockon:

Great overlooked, non-shitty 80s band. All the Native American imagery in the lyrics is refreshing and lends an ethereal quality to it.

Fire Woman
Love Removal Machine
Rain
Edie (Ciao Baby)
Wild Flower
Sweet Soul Sister

are all great songs besides the requisite She Sell Sanctuary by the Sea Shore. Pick up Pure Cult for a good compilation.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

Ian Astbury reformed The Cult about a year ago and they toured all over the world in 2006. They started with US dates last spring then continued onto Europe and played in South America in December. After that he did a few weeks with Riders On The Storm in late December through mid January in Europe.

Well, it will be interesting to see if they get drummer Matt Sorum to come back. Right now, I think he's still with Velvet Revolver.

Re: Re: The Cult are reforming....

Halup said:
U2Fanatic4ever said:

Ian Astbury reformed The Cult about a year ago and they toured all over the world in 2006. They started with US dates last spring then continued onto Europe and played in South America in December. After that he did a few weeks with Riders On The Storm in late December through mid January in Europe.

well, apparently the press didn't catch on to it until now.. This is the first I have seen of it.

Ian was amazing with Riders on the storm.. I saw them at street scene a few years ago and it was eery how much he looked, sounded like morrison.. It was a great show..

Back
Top Bottom