The Concretes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Yes. The prefix "The" grants instant credibility, no?

I hope the name does not deter or prematurely influence folks who are about to listen to these The neophytes.

Who are they? The Concretes are another Scandanavian export (Architecture in Helsinki!!! but they're not really Scandanavian) with a plethora of members, and the vocalist's pedigree provides their heritage flavour (with some subtle range changes that are similar to the hopelandic cries of their island brother Sigur Ros). But, just as Iceland is different from the collective countries of Scandanavia in geographic and cultural character, The Concretes are far from Sigurian ambient post-rock. They classify more as an upbeat post-modern pop band that embraces a wide range of presentation media. Avant-garde, a different kind of ordinary, and FUN are words that come to mind as descriptors.

Enough talk though. I hand the band to you for judgement and listening enjoyment. The Concretes home page has plenty of material downloads to investigate their current stylings (new record out soon)...

http://www.theconcretes.com/

So what do you think... are The Concretes a SOLID band?

:sexywink:

Last edited:
cujo said:

So what do you think... are The Concretes a SOLID band?

:sexywink:

Haha.

I believe I've heard a song or two of theirs before, but I can't remember what they were righ tnow. I will have to do more research and get back to you.

Great band. Their first album was fantastic. The drums sound like the Velvet Underground. Brill. Particularly like Lonely As Can Be and Diana Ross. Great stuff. Great artwork on their album too by the way.

mofo, their song 'Say Something New' is on the Astralwerks sampler. I was listening to it last night, and the vocals reminded me of Mazzy Star.

Not bad.

HeartlandGirl said:
mofo, their song 'Say Something New' is on the Astralwerks sampler.

After reading this, I checked the 2 disc Astralwerks sampler I have, and it actually had 'Say Something New' AND 'You Can't Hurry Love' (I'm bragging :wink: ). I did like them both, Cuj. It seems like the kind of stuff that could end up really hitting the spot after a little time.

I have one of their songs on an Astralworks sampler.

I also heard them on the radio (yes, I actually listen to the RADIO) this morning on the way to work.

SWEDES! :up:

The Concretes make great, fun, '60s-style music. "Say Something New" has been used by Target for a few years now. I got to interview the lead singer and drummer for Zink last year and they were cool and somewhat low-key about the whole impending-fame thing. Nice change of pace from Kevin Federline-types.

Back
Top Bottom