The Coldplay hate has got to stop... for the good of this forum! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:19 PM
Normal The Coldplay hate has got to stop... for the good of this forum!

I'm not even a big fan of Coldplay. I like Radiohead much more. But I don't hate Coldplay! Wasn't there a big uproar when somebody started a thread about how much they hate the Dave Matthews Band??? Then why does the bias against Coldplay go unnoticed? Isn't this an unhealthy hate too? Honestly, how would you feel if you were a big Coldplay fan. You would not even want to step into this forum. Put yourself in other people's shoes please.

Live and let live.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Completely agree.....

....but did you really needed to make another Coldplay thread

Old 10-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Honestly, how would you feel if you were a big Coldplay fan. You would not even want to step into this forum.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo
....but did you really needed to make another Coldplay thread
I'm hoping somebody takes this seriously. That's why I started a thread about it. If I had just posted in the same thread, it would've been most likely forgotten by the next page.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Agreed.

If you don't like a band, don't listen to them and don't talk about them. I don't understand why the concept is so hard.

Besides it's better for your blood pressure not to get all bent out of shape hating.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 09:19 PM
I'm afraid it's live and let die, as long as I'm here anyway

but seriously, what should Coldplay fans expect when they come to a U2 forum, after what Chris Martin keeps saying about "being better than U2" or "beating U2 as the biggest band in the world" ?

And it's ok for Coldplay fans to say they love Coldplay? Then can't people who dislike them say their own opinions? It's like the Bomb haters, there are 2 sides and there are going to be arguments because all people have different opinions.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

But isn't part of someone's taste in music having a distaste in a certain band or genre, and when you're in discussion over a subject you talk about how you feel. Some people like Coldplay, some don't, sure the bashing gets too unfair at times, but not everyone loves Radiohead either, but is it wrong to say you don't like them?

*I like Radiohead, but I'm using them as an example

and Irish, it is Live and Let Live also

Live and Let Die is a killer song tho
Old 10-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
but is it wrong to say you don't like them?
It's one thing to say... 'Eh, I don't like them' or 'I don't care for their music'. But to constantly go on and on about how Chris Martin has no talent, he has no balls, Coldplay suck, Coldplay is shit etc.. and to start threads over and over again just to badmouth one band is totally unproductive to the forum, not to mention disrespectful to the band's fans.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
But isn't part of someone's taste in music having a distaste in a certain band or genre, and when you're in discussion over a subject you talk about how you feel. Some people like Coldplay, some don't, sure the bashing gets too unfair at times, but not everyone loves Radiohead either, but is it wrong to say you don't like them?
No, by all means, dislike them, but creating THREAD AFTER THREAD just to bash them is annoying (or worse, a Coldplay bashing in a completely irrelevant thread, which happens a lot too). They suck, they rip off U2, one of them named a kid Apple, WE GET IT. There's no reason to cause the same shitstorm that many times.

And anyway, tolerance is a two-way thing. If you want people to respect your Coldplay bashing, you could try respecting the Coldplay fans by not making it blatant flamebait like most of the Coldplay comments that find their way here. The attitude that we should tolerate everything just to be fair doesn't hold up; have you ever heard that the right for you to throw a punch ends where my nose begins?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:15 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

It's one thing to say... 'Eh, I don't like them' or 'I don't care for their music'. But to constantly go on and on about how Chris Martin has no talent, he has no balls, Coldplay suck, Coldplay is shit etc.. and to start threads over and over again just to badmouth one band is totally unproductive to the forum, not to mention disrespectful to the band's fans.
Zoo: Chris Martin DOES have balls. I WILL kick them when I grow up. This is how it must be.

Also: I think the two worst bands on the planet (and I'm talking about bands many consider "real" artists--I'm making no room, I admit, for the Nicklebacks of the world) are, in no particular order, Dave Matthews Band and Coldplay.

I just hate bad, derivative, uninspired music which aches and pretends to be something far more than it is or ever could be, and that's why I hate these bands like no others.

So the bottom line is that I, for one, ain't gonna cause no trouble if somebody opens a thread to rip Dave Matthews and his "Band" of "musicians." I would gladly kick all of them in the nuts, too...but I admit that there are way too many of them and that I'd likely be overpowered and, in the end, embarrassed. Probably not worth it, no matter how potentially gratifying the whole thing could be...
Old 10-12-2005, 08:19 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:19 AM
I agree with Zoot, he knows this.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

No, by all means, dislike them, but creating THREAD AFTER THREAD just to bash them is annoying (or worse, a Coldplay bashing in a completely irrelevant thread, which happens a lot too). They suck, they rip off U2, one of them named a kid Apple, WE GET IT. There's no reason to cause the same shitstorm that many times.

And anyway, tolerance is a two-way thing. If you want people to respect your Coldplay bashing, you could try respecting the Coldplay fans by not making it blatant flamebait like most of the Coldplay comments that find their way here. The attitude that we should tolerate everything just to be fair doesn't hold up; have you ever heard that the right for you to throw a punch ends where my nose begins?
And I think that Typhoon probably makes some pretty damned good points, here. Luckily, I can say I've NEVER started a Coldplay thread...so at least I'm innocent of that.

And while some may take this the wrong way, I don't know how else to say it: if the issue is Coldplay and we disagree (about that issue--not about other stuff), then I couldn't possibly care less about whether or not my bashing (and it IS bashing and it IS flaming and it IS impossibly rude...I can't make any bones about that) is respected or anything. I'm not kidding when I say that I find Coldplay's music so catastrophically, offensively bad that I don't feel the band respects me. I know that they're not out to hurt me (that's fuckin' crazy talk), but I'm still hurt by their music. I'm sure that most would find this irrational, but most would find my inverse (and perverse...?) love for U2 to be equally irrational. It's just the way I roll, I s'pose...

But, yeah. I just feel like I'm standing up for myself when I eviscerate Coldplay in a thread. Which, I might add, I've hardly at all done over the time I've spend at Interference. Only recently. But, then, I'm sure nobody is trying to attack me personally.

Whatever. That's how it is on this end for the world's greatest Coldplay-hater.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 04:19 PM
First 2 Coldplay albums: o.k., nothing revolutionary or evolutionary.

X&Y:

By the way, I don't think hatin' on something constantly, is a good thing, but open discussion and opinion is healthy and needed in every aspect of life, especially music
Old 10-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Re: The Coldplay hate has got to stop... for the good of this forum!

Quote:
I'm not even a big fan of Coldplay. I like Radiohead much more. But I don't hate Coldplay! Wasn't there a big uproar when somebody started a thread about how much they hate the Dave Matthews Band??? Then why does the bias against Coldplay go unnoticed? Isn't this an unhealthy hate too? Honestly, how would you feel if you were a big Coldplay fan. You would not even want to step into this forum. Put yourself in other people's shoes please.

Live and let live.
Interference is democracy at work. It's also a kind of virtual Darwinism...there's no guarantee of your survival...

I have no problem with people who want to discuss Chris Martin's lyrics, or the band's choice of video styles. But, I also reserve the right to critique them and discuss their (IMO) overall lack of originality, and blatant rip-off of U2-ness that often leaves me physically ill and questioning a music industry that pushes them as the 'Next Big Thing.'
Old 10-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...

I just hate bad, derivative, uninspired music which aches and pretends to be something far more than it is or ever could be, and that's why I hate these bands like no others.

Interestingly, I know many people who would think this sentance is about U2. And they would agree with it too (in the U2 context).

Tags
coldplay