The Clash to release 'Vanilla Tapes' in September

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
does your best of have 'death or glory'?

oh, and everyone needs to own a copy of london calling. in some way, shape or form.

The Essential Clash does not actually have Death or Glory. It has almost every track from the US release of the debut album, which is great, but completely leaves out a lot of stuff from their latter period.

There is no

Death or Glory (But it has Jimmy Jazz?)
Know Your Rights (But it has Ghetto Defendant?)
Broadway
Hitsville UK

Since I prefer London Calling to the S/T debut, I think there would be room for a few more tracks from London Calling, (it's like 7 from london calling and 12 or so from the two versions of the S/T).

Granted, there are already 40 tracks, but they had soooo many great songs in a handful of albums.

you like 'hitsville UK'? i thought i was the only one...seems like everyone bashes that song to kingdom come.

Hitsville UK would also be on my list if Sandinista was a double LP. I just can't stand the Kiddie stuff at the end.

This is England from the much hated Cut the Crap is another one of their underrated songs!

THis is England is actually on the Essential... I really like the song, but I think of it more as a Strummer solo song because, well, there's no Mick Jones. I would say there's no Topper, but hey, they recorded a lot of good stuff before Topper, so... (but Topper IS fucking brilliant)

UnforgettableLemon said:
THis is England is actually on the Essential... I really like the song, but I think of it more as a Strummer solo song because, well, there's no Mick Jones. I would say there's no Topper, but hey, they recorded a lot of good stuff before Topper, so... (but Topper IS fucking brilliant)

That's why it would have been better if they didn't keep the Clash name for Cut The Crap.... maybe they could have escaped some critism....but anyway, stuff of legends, no need to argue about it some 20 odd yrs later!

And by the way, I really like Rebel Waltz too... people don't seem to like that one much either.

How about a clash survivor type thread? Anyone with me...or is it just the boredom talking!! :)

that might be interesting (the survivor thing), although i'm pretty much against survivor threads...

(but Topper IS fucking brilliant)

:yes: who'll join me in air-drumming the intro to 'tommy gun'?

yeah, rock muthafuckin the casbah. i tend to try to forget about it cos it's that song everyone knows and all...but yeah, that shouldn't detract from the fact that it is a great song :up:

anyone bought this? how much did it set you back? by 'remastering' it barely five years after it was last remastered are there any major changes? are the vanilla tapes any good?is the documentary interesting? is this worth it? do i ask too many questions?

i don't see any differences between my old london calling cd and this new one (other than the fact that 'revolution rock' doesn't skip, but the fact that it skips on my old copy is my own fault).

the vanilla tapes are cool in that 'official bootleg' sort of sense...not stellar quality or anything (not as bad as the bootleg i downloaded from you of the ny palladium show where the cover art took place, but not crystal clear digital mastery), but if you like stuff like that, i don't think you'd be disappointed.

the documentary is like an extension of the parts of 'westway to the world' where they're talking about the album, some of the interviews from WttW have been recycled into this one, and the other ones i'm assuming were leftover footage...and you get to see that guy stevens really was the nut they said he was. throwing chairs and smashing things...jumping up and down, screaming at the band...

i'd say something about the liner notes, but i haven't really looked through the whole thing. it's not the 'clash on broadway' book, but it seemed cool. i should take another look at that, actually...

the whole thing only cost me about 20 bucks (20.99 to be exact). so it was definetly worth it. anything over 35, though, and i might have had to think it over again (although being me, i probably would have blown the cash anyway at that point :shifty: )

no, dear yertle, you do not ask too many questions :wink:

Back
Top Bottom