The Clash to release 'Vanilla Tapes' in September - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:28 PM
i'll be working in order to fund my music-purchasing habits, once more.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:41 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

this is out today, isn't it?

Old 09-21-2004, 10:21 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:28 AM
interesting
Old 09-21-2004, 02:44 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:28 PM
I was gonna buy it, but I'm saving my cash for the Star Wars DVDs, and Mortal Kombat Deception in two weeks. I bought a few new albums, but the lady at the music store told me that the Vanilla Tapes, in terms of sound recording, are more or less crap. The DVD she said was interesting, but I just bought Westway to the World, so I think between the old remaster of London Calling and that DVD, I'll manage until I have 25 bucks to spare. Although I am really curious about the different lyrics on Death or Glory.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:55 PM   #20
Refugee

I just got it and it's my B-Day.......... what a perfect present....a definite Must-have for any clash fan!
Old 09-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

happy birthday, bayernfc

i bought it (like that's a surprise to anyone here). now, despite the fact that i've got copies on london calling on cd and vinyl already, and i've heard it a million and one times, why is it that the first thing i did when i got back with the cd was to throw the regular album into the cd player?

death or glory
Old 09-21-2004, 03:39 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
[B]

death or glory
hehe...it came on just as i was reading this!!
Old 09-21-2004, 03:48 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
happy birthday, bayernfc

i bought it (like that's a surprise to anyone here). now, despite the fact that i've got copies on london calling on cd and vinyl already, and i've heard it a million and one times, why is it that the first thing i did when i got back with the cd was to throw the regular album into the cd player?

death or glory
That's a pretty good reason. Does it sound any better than the last (really good) remaster? Other good reasons....

London Calling
Clampdown
Lost in the Supermarket
The Card Cheat
Koka-Kola
Train in Vain
Rudie Can't Fail
Spanish Bombs
Guns of Brixton
Jimmy Jazz
Brand New Cadillac (My fave Clash cover)
Hateful
Wrong 'em Boyo
The Right Profile

Oh, and even though you already said it, and I already said it...

Death or Glory!!

I agree with what you said in an earlier post about the Dropkick Murphys cover of Brixton sucking... it sucks pretty hardcore. I can't believe how much I dislike one of my favorite bands covering another one of my favorite bands... but the Career Opportunities cover is really good, White Riot less so... but none of them are on London Calling, so this is drifting WAY off topic...
Old 09-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

seriously, there are so many good reasons to listen to london calling...pretty much every track (although 'lover's rock'...eh...every album is allowed one song like that) i've got shitty speakers so i can't really hear a difference, and mostly i've been listening to it in really shitty headphones, so that's even worse.

the dvd is videos for 'london calling' 'train in vain', and 'clampdown', plus some footage of the band recording (complete with guy stevens going completly berzerk like all the stories say)...the 'making of london calling' recycles a lot of interveiw footage from westway to the world (some of it which was on the dvd, some of which i don't remember seeing before), but in general it's cool.

yeah, i'm not going to ever understand what went wrong with the DKM cover of that song. i gave up. haha. i saw roger miret & the disasters last year (actually when they were opening for DKM) and they did a kick ass version of 'career opportunities'. just don't let me get started on the fact that none of the kids at the show knew the song
Old 09-21-2004, 05:50 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I like Lover's Rock more than Revolution Rock. Speaking of Career Opportunities, did Strummer or Jones write it? Because it's awfully ironic if Joe Strummer, who went to art school to join a band and NOT work, is complaining about not being able to get work...
Old 09-21-2004, 05:57 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

i think 'career ops' is credited strummer/jones. i thought it was paul who went to art school...

'revolution rock' grew on me after a while. i didn't like it for a while, and randomly started digging it one day. i just realized that it's actually fortunate that i've got this new copy of the regular album, cos my cd was unfixable-y skipping during that song...
Old 09-21-2004, 06:02 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
i think 'career ops' is credited strummer/jones. i thought it was paul who went to art school...
You may be right about that, actually. But Joe's dad was more or less a diplomat and worked for the government... so he wasn't lacking either. A rich man in a poor man's shirt. But I also think the refusal to be part of the "system" is part of the song's appeal, and resonates with people regardless of social status and opportunities. So what I'm saying is it's a good song and it really doesn't matter.

A rich man in a poor man's shirt is from "Better Days" by Bruce SPringsteen, didn't want to leave that uncredited
Old 09-21-2004, 06:14 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

yeah, joe was born in turkey and sent to boarding school.

Quote:
A rich man in a poor man's shirt is from "Better Days" by Bruce SPringsteen, didn't want to leave that uncredited
better days. i had that song in my head before i realized you credited it

the vanilla tapes version of 'lover's rock' is really cool, by the way.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:01 PM   #29
Refugee

For some odd reason the dvd doesn't play on my dvd player (which plays other dvds well enough) but is perfectly fine on the computer.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:06 PM   #30
New Yorker

OK, all I own is the Clash best of from last year. would you recommend this to a somewhat novice fan like me or should I just get the regular version of London Calling? Or am I covered with the Best Of?