The Clash RULE!!!! - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2003, 03:19 PM   #106
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 09:15 PM
Yeah, there's so many wonderful Clash songs, but Train in Vain is my absolute favorite. I could just listen to that all day, and never get sick of it. A moment of Clash "pop" genius (much like Should I Stay or Should I Go?).

Old 02-27-2003, 04:05 PM   #107
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~
. A moment of Clash "pop" genius
My personal opinion is that the entire London Calling album is one of these "moments". That's why I seriously consider it my all time favorite album.

Yes, I'm saying that I'd rather listen to London Calling than any U2 album, I'm quite blashphemous arent I?

Old 02-27-2003, 04:20 PM   #108
I Serve Larry's Stick

wink

Well London Calling is on my Top 5 Favorite Albums ever. However the Joshua Tree has beaten London Calling by a very narrow margin!

Hey, are any of you Clash fans also fans of Big Audio Dynamite??
Or maybe they've been mentioned already...I kind of zipped through the last few pages of this thread. Anyway, I "rediscovered" Globe the other week, and now I can't stop listening to that damn song! Fun stuff.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:24 PM   #109
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~
Hey, are any of you Clash fans also fans of Big Audio Dynamite??
I'm not, but that's just because I havent really heard anything by them. Not all that familiar with em. Reading about them right now.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:46 PM   #110
I Serve Larry's Stick

Old 02-28-2003, 12:56 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:15 AM
In terms of diverse musical threads being strung together in a coherent vision, there's only been one album like London Calling, and that's Parklife by Blur. Although as good as Parklife is (one of my all-time favourites), I doubt Albarn could come up with something as amazing as "Death Or Glory" or the superbly underrated "The Card Cheat".

Didn't B.A.D. support U2 during the Joshua Tree or ZooTV tours?
Old 02-28-2003, 01:00 AM   #112
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
I doubt Albarn could come up with something as amazing as "Death Or Glory" or the superbly underrated "The Card Cheat".
Great tastes! Those are two of my favorites. The Card Cheat is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite Clash songs.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:10 AM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

b.a.d II supported u2 on part of the zoo tour...the original b.a.d. broke up in 1989 after the release of "megatop phoenix"

their first album is great. i love it. iv'e got the third one, i forgot the name, paul simmonon did the painting on the cover. i don't like it that much, like they were milking the concept from the first album and it got old. there are a few i really like on megatop phoenix. f-punk, the last one they put out before radioactive records dropped them from the label (i think this was the last recporded album they released, they had some internet stuff or plans for internet stuff, but i don't think it ever completly went through) is kinda weak. the first time i ehard it i really liekd it and couldn't understand all the crapo reviews it got. but i listened to it at the radio station a couple weeks ago and i wasn't impressed.

"death or glory" is one of my all time favouriote clash songs

and yertle, happy birthday. you are the yertle the turtle who's birthday was up in the opening page of interference, right?
Old 02-28-2003, 08:03 AM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life

The one and only! Even though technically it was yesterday. Lovely time zones we have.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:08 PM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

well happy belated birthday then. time zones are one hell of a pain. i hate how i'm talking to people in utah and california and various other non eastarn standard times and it's like 3 am here, and they're like ha it's only midnight here!
Old 02-28-2003, 07:20 PM   #116
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
well i hate how i'm talking to people in utah
YOU JERK!!

Oh woops, I guess I took that out of context, didnt I?
Old 02-28-2003, 07:25 PM   #117
Blue Crack Supplier

hahaha, damn you. most of the people i talk to the most are outside my time zone!

the guy on the radio station who's show is after mine is doing a special on the clash. he's just playing clash stuff for his 2 hours, and reading bits of articles and reviews and interviews...and if the stupid website wasn't down again, i'd post the link for anyone who wants to listen, cos it's supposed to be streaming online. but it's broken right now
Old 03-01-2003, 05:31 AM   #118
Blue Crack Supplier

i hung out with the guy who did the clash special for his show tonight, and it was great! we discussed the clash for about 2 hours, nothing else. everything was related to the clash.
he had all the stuff he was going to play and read on the air all planned out but i had some other cds that he didn't have with him, and one of the joe strummer and the mescaleros albums, and we kept coming up with more songs that couldn't be left off a special clash radio show

an 8 minute live version of straight to hell

a live version of complete control followed by the album version ended things...

plenty of stuff from every album...he read some quotes and parts of articles, plus the original rolling stone review for "london calling"...and played clips from an interview cd

we found a cd by this really crappy band who's name i forogt...count something...count the stars? the review sticker now says "this cd fucking sucks! if you're into the 'c' part of the alphabet why not check out some real music. play your favourite clash song instead of this shite"
Old 03-01-2003, 05:51 AM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i hung out with the guy who did the clash special for his show tonight, and it was great! we discussed the clash for about 2 hours, nothing else. everything was related to the clash.
he had all the stuff he was going to play and read on the air all planned out but i had some other cds that he didn't have with him, and one of the joe strummer and the mescaleros albums, and we kept coming up with more songs that couldn't be left off a special clash radio show

an 8 minute live version of straight to hell

a live version of complete control followed by the album version ended things...

plenty of stuff from every album...he read some quotes and parts of articles, plus the original rolling stone review for "london calling"...and played clips from an interview cd

we found a cd by this really crappy band who's name i forogt...count something...count the stars? the review sticker now says "this cd fucking sucks! if you're into the 'c' part of the alphabet why not check out some real music. play your favourite clash song instead of this shite"
Sounds like fun. Radio stations here NEVER play the Clash. The only half-decent station, ironically, is the one that plays the cheesy Euro-pop, but I've heard Beth Orton and the Ramones on it occasionally. Weird. Most of the time I'm listening to the BBC for news and sport.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:53 AM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier

college radio station. it was the most fun thing i've done while working there

the guy named his show "hammersmith palais" after the song...and he put posters up all over campus advertising for the show tonight

Tags
the clash