The Clash RULE!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rollingstone gave Essential Clash 5 stars (their highest rating).

Here's the review.

Since The Clash's demise, there have been many compilations of their work; unfortunately, most of them sound like they were sequenced with a dartboard. This two-disc collection, organized roughly chronologically, finally does them justice: The first disc shows the young Clash as the best rock band in the world: passionate, tough and tuneful. If those early punk songs don't have the shock now they once did -- "White Riot" can be found on karaoke machines these days -- they still can straighten your spine. The hint of reggae in "(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais" becomes the story of the second disc, as the group heads in all directions at once: funk, dub, the top of the charts. The coda is "This Is England," the Clash's lost classic: Joe Strummer looks around him, his country and band both in ruins, and spits in the eye of the world.

i've had "this is england" stuck in my head all day....which is just weird cos i haven't heard it in about a week...

gherman said:
I fucking HATE the Clash!

good for you. no one here really cares what you think then. come back when you have something worthwhile to say.

i've got the clash on broadway box set. it's really cool. terribly expensive though...but if you don't have all the albums it's worth it. it's worth it if you do have all the albums, come to think of it...

the booklet alone is awesome. i don't really want to go on about how great it is, it'll only make you want to shell out the money for it...i hate that feeling...

browneyedgirl said:
I just got the Essential Clash as a little gift to myself....and I'm loving it !!!

:up:

Great collection isnt it?

It is what it's called, essential.

IWasBored said:
i've got the clash on broadway box set. it's really cool. terribly expensive though...but if you don't have all the albums it's worth it. it's worth it if you do have all the albums, come to think of it...

the booklet alone is awesome. i don't really want to go on about how great it is, it'll only make you want to shell out the money for it...i hate that feeling...

Yeah, it rocks. I found it used a couple of years ago, but would've paid full price for it anyway for the liner notes alone.

yeah and then you also get the lyrics to pretty much everything. i didn't pay full price, the store was trying to get rid of old box sets, so it was like half off or somehting.

Police On My Back has to be my favorite of all the songs I hadnt heard before that I got on the Essential Clash album.

It's probably one of my favorite of their songs now.

u2popmofo said:
Police On My Back has to be my favorite of all the songs I hadnt heard before that I got on the Essential Clash album.

It's probably one of my favorite of their songs now.

:up: great song

you know, :up: is technically a smiley ;) (are you still opposed to using them?)

i'm listening to a very cool version of 'scotland the brave' cos i really do love bagpipes

safe eurpean home

Well, I just got back an' I wish I never leave now
Who dat Martian arrival at the airport?
How many local dollars for a local anaesthetic?
The Johnny on the corner was a very sympathetic
I went to the place where every white face is an invitation
To robbery
An's sitting here in my safe European home
I don't wanna go back there again
Wasn't I lucky n' wouldn't it be loverly?
Send us all cards, an' have a laying in on a Sunday
I was there for two weeks, so how come I never tell
That natty dread drinks at the Sheraton Hotel?
Now they got the sun, an' they got the palm trees
They got the weed, an' they got the taxis
Whoa, the harder the come, n' the home of ol' bluebeat
Yes I'd stay an' be a tourist but I can't take the gunplay

before anyone can be offended with that remark, it was as an observation.

i dont much care for the clash, but i certainly dont have a problem with them or their fans.

just wanted to make sure you knew that.

:hug: knowing that :hug:

Not quite what I was hoping for, but I'll take what ever I can get

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom