The Clash RULE!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
Westway to the World won the Grammy for best Long form music video, that means I have to buy it. I'm ticked off I didnt buy it last week when I could have got it for $5 off. Mabey it will go on sale somewhere because it won a Grammy.

They did a tribute to Joe Strummer at the Grammy's, it was: Dave Groel, Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, Little Steven, the bass player from No Doubt, and who the drummer was I dont know(some old guy) playing London Calling. I thought it was really cool. They were all really into it.

Crap, I need to see that. Even if the repeat telecast over here ends at half past two.

springsteen almost looked like joe strummer. everything about the way he was playing the guitar and singing. there was something about little steven's solo that bothered me though...i don't know really what it was

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
How is Westway to the World? What's it like, does it have footage of them performing songs live? Just wondering.

I was just looking up tons of info on The Clash, do you have the Live From Here to Eternity cd? If so, how is it? I guess it's a live album of a bunch of their best performances of some of their best songs live. It got really good ratings from what I've seen. I really want that now.

I've been listening to The Clash for a while tonight, now I want new Clash cd's!!! haha, damn you Clash, why are you so good?

i like westway to the world. it does have footage, it's got some interpersed with the interviews, and then there's dvd extra stuff of course, so therer is some.

i've got from here to eternity. it is like a live best of. some things on it totally rock, like guns of brixton, complete control, and pretty much the rest. the only thing i don't like is armagideon time, but it's also not really a favourite of mine to begin with...it's good. defionetly worth the 15 bucks or whatever it costs. but then again, what clash cd isn't worth it?

there's this boot i need to check out at a local record shop. i didn't bother to listen to it last time i was there cos i didn't have enough money on me to buy it, and i figured that it would have to be absolutely terrible for me to NOT want to buy it...hope it's still there...

The Live CD is EXCELLENT.

Re: Grammy performance

I managed to catch the tail-end of it on the cable broadcast, just in time to see 'London Calling', and I was thinking Springsteen was really Strummer-esque too.

I think the reason why the solo sounded weird is because it was never a solo in the first place - it's just feedback or something so it comes off funny on guitar. I'll have to re-watch though.

I downloaded the videos for London Calling, Train In Vain, Should I Stay or Should I Go, and Rock the Casbah today. Cool stuff.

Train In Vain and Should I Stay Or Should I Go are both vids of live performances.

Train In Vain is not only one of my fav videos but also like un my top ten clash songs. Oh I can relate. (Side note what the hell kind of dumb ass / heartless girl would hurt poor Joe like that?)

Yeah, there's so many wonderful Clash songs, but Train in Vain is my absolute favorite. I could just listen to that all day, and never get sick of it. A moment of Clash "pop" genius (much like Should I Stay or Should I Go?).

~LadyLemon~ said:
. A moment of Clash "pop" genius

My personal opinion is that the entire London Calling album is one of these "moments". That's why I seriously consider it my all time favorite album.

Yes, I'm saying that I'd rather listen to London Calling than any U2 album, I'm quite blashphemous arent I?

Well London Calling is on my Top 5 Favorite Albums ever. However the Joshua Tree has beaten London Calling by a very narrow margin!

Hey, are any of you Clash fans also fans of Big Audio Dynamite??
Or maybe they've been mentioned already...I kind of zipped through the last few pages of this thread. Anyway, I "rediscovered" Globe the other week, and now I can't stop listening to that damn song! Fun stuff.

~LadyLemon~ said:
Hey, are any of you Clash fans also fans of Big Audio Dynamite??

I'm not, but that's just because I havent really heard anything by them. Not all that familiar with em. Reading about them right now.

clash3.jpg

:heart:

In terms of diverse musical threads being strung together in a coherent vision, there's only been one album like London Calling, and that's Parklife by Blur. Although as good as Parklife is (one of my all-time favourites), I doubt Albarn could come up with something as amazing as "Death Or Glory" or the superbly underrated "The Card Cheat".

Didn't B.A.D. support U2 during the Joshua Tree or ZooTV tours?

yertle-the-turtle said:
I doubt Albarn could come up with something as amazing as "Death Or Glory" or the superbly underrated "The Card Cheat".

Great tastes! Those are two of my favorites. The Card Cheat is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite Clash songs.

b.a.d II supported u2 on part of the zoo tour...the original b.a.d. broke up in 1989 after the release of "megatop phoenix"

their first album is great. i love it. iv'e got the third one, i forgot the name, paul simmonon did the painting on the cover. i don't like it that much, like they were milking the concept from the first album and it got old. there are a few i really like on megatop phoenix. f-punk, the last one they put out before radioactive records dropped them from the label (i think this was the last recporded album they released, they had some internet stuff or plans for internet stuff, but i don't think it ever completly went through) is kinda weak. the first time i ehard it i really liekd it and couldn't understand all the crapo reviews it got. but i listened to it at the radio station a couple weeks ago and i wasn't impressed.

"death or glory" is one of my all time favouriote clash songs

and yertle, happy birthday. you are the yertle the turtle who's birthday was up in the opening page of interference, right?

well happy belated birthday then. time zones are one hell of a pain. i hate how i'm talking to people in utah and california and various other non eastarn standard times and it's like 3 am here, and they're like ha it's only midnight here!

hahaha, damn you. most of the people i talk to the most are outside my time zone!

the guy on the radio station who's show is after mine is doing a special on the clash. he's just playing clash stuff for his 2 hours, and reading bits of articles and reviews and interviews...and if the stupid website wasn't down again, i'd post the link for anyone who wants to listen, cos it's supposed to be streaming online. but it's broken right now :mad:

i hung out with the guy who did the clash special for his show tonight, and it was great! we discussed the clash for about 2 hours, nothing else. everything was related to the clash.
he had all the stuff he was going to play and read on the air all planned out but i had some other cds that he didn't have with him, and one of the joe strummer and the mescaleros albums, and we kept coming up with more songs that couldn't be left off a special clash radio show

an 8 minute live version of straight to hell

a live version of complete control followed by the album version ended things...

plenty of stuff from every album...he read some quotes and parts of articles, plus the original rolling stone review for "london calling"...and played clips from an interview cd

we found a cd by this really crappy band who's name i forogt...count something...count the stars? the review sticker now says "this cd fucking sucks! if you're into the 'c' part of the alphabet why not check out some real music. play your favourite clash song instead of this shite"

IWasBored said:
i hung out with the guy who did the clash special for his show tonight, and it was great! we discussed the clash for about 2 hours, nothing else. everything was related to the clash.
he had all the stuff he was going to play and read on the air all planned out but i had some other cds that he didn't have with him, and one of the joe strummer and the mescaleros albums, and we kept coming up with more songs that couldn't be left off a special clash radio show

an 8 minute live version of straight to hell

a live version of complete control followed by the album version ended things...

plenty of stuff from every album...he read some quotes and parts of articles, plus the original rolling stone review for "london calling"...and played clips from an interview cd

we found a cd by this really crappy band who's name i forogt...count something...count the stars? the review sticker now says "this cd fucking sucks! if you're into the 'c' part of the alphabet why not check out some real music. play your favourite clash song instead of this shite"

Sounds like fun. Radio stations here NEVER play the Clash. The only half-decent station, ironically, is the one that plays the cheesy Euro-pop, but I've heard Beth Orton and the Ramones on it occasionally. Weird. Most of the time I'm listening to the BBC for news and sport.

college radio station. it was the most fun thing i've done while working there

the guy named his show "hammersmith palais" after the song...and he put posters up all over campus advertising for the show tonight

Back
Top Bottom