The Christopher Guest Mockumentary Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
I watched Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind back-to-back-to-back last weekend, and they're all pure genius.

Corky St. Clair from Guffman is my AV :wink:

I'm just going to quote a bunch from the movies, please join in on this collective droolfest of awesome.

Waiting for Guffman

Corky St. Clair: I was shopping for my wife Bonnie. I buy most of her clothes and Mrs Pearl was in the same shop! And it just was an accident you know, we started talking... about panty hose, she was saying... whatever that's not the point of the story but what the point is is that through this accidental meeting... it's like a Hitchcock movie you know where you're thrown into a rubber bag and put in the trunk of a car, you find people. You find them. Something, is is it karma? Maybe. But we found him, that's the important thing. And I got Bonnie a wonderful pantsuit.

Corky St. Clair: I'll tell you why I can't put up with you people. Because you're bastard people.

Corky St. Clair: It's a Zen thing, like how many babies fit in a tire.

Mrs. Pearl: We don't associate with the creative types. We have a Scrabble club. We associate with people with babies.

Corky St. Clair: Well, then, I just HATE you... and I hate your... ass... FACE!

Corky St. Clair: I got off that boat with nothing but my dancers belt and a tube of CHAPSTICK!

Ron Albertson: I had to have penis reduction surgery.
Dr. Allan Pearl: Penis *reduction*?
Sheila: I said to him, "Ron, you've gotta do something!" And he says to me, "Well, why don't you get one of those vagina enlargements?"

Best in Show

Max Berman: I'll gouge your right eye out with my thumb, I shit you not, you little freak! Now, will you get down here? I'm gonna punch you in the eye till it turns to jelly! I'll stab you with forks till you bleed, how bout that?

Hamilton Swan: Don't look at the fat ass losers or freaks, look at me!

Buck Laughlin: And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten.

Gerry Fleck: I can't dance, I can't dance, I've got two left feet!
Cookie Fleck: I thought he was kidding.
Gerry Fleck: But I wasn't. I was born with two left feet.

Buck Laughlin: I went to one of those obedience places once... it was all going well until they spilled hot candle wax on my private parts.

Christy Cummings: We started this magazine, 'American Bitch'. It's a focus on the issues of the lesbian pure bred dog owner.

Meg Swan: This? This is a fish. This is a fish! You know what? Just shut up.

A Mighty Wind

Terry Bohner: There was abuse in my family, but it was mostly musical in nature.

David Kantor: In 1971, after the breakup of the Main Street Singers, Chuck Wiseman moved up to San Francisco where she started a retail business with his brothers Howard and Dell, the Three Wisemen's Sex Emporium. It was very successful for a year until they were sued over something having to do with a box of ben wah balls.

Amber Cole: Thank God for the model trains, you know? If they didn't have the model trains they wouldn't have gotten the idea for the big trains.

Jonathan Steinbloom: [referring to his mother] You could say she was overly protective - I just like to think she cared about me, which she did, a lot. And I was a member of the chess team and whenever we would have chess tournaments I had to wear a protective helmet, I had to wear a football helmet. Now who knows what she was thinking? Maybe she thought that we might have fallen maybe and impaled our heads on a pointy bishop or something, I don't know.

Alan Barrows: And they had no hole in the center of the record.
Mark Shubb: It would teeter crazily on the little spindle.
Jerry Palter: No, you had to provide it yourself. They were still good records. Good product.
Mark Shubb: If you punched a hole in them, you'd have a good time.

Laurie Bohner: Terry and I worship an unconventional deity. The power of another dimension. Now you are not going to read about this dimension in a book or a magazine because it exists nowhere... but in my own mind. Through our ceremonies and rituals we have witnessed the awesome and vibratory power... of color.

They are all great films, for sure. Guffman is my favorite of the three. I actually wrote a piece in the paper my senior year of high school about how those three films are so underrated.

As much as I love them, they will never touch:

tapwq5.jpg

Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show Rules!! as does This is Spinal Tap!!! Make more please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another Christopher Guest flick is coming out this fall called For Your Consideration.

I've heard it's not in the mockumentary style, but all of the normal cast of the 3 movies are in it + Ricky Gervais :hyper:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470765/

Last edited:
when I think of Chris Guest, obviously you have these movies, Spinal Tap etc....but what really comes to mind is....

Synchronized Swimming!

One of the top 5 SNL sketches ever.

Pretty sure this is not the full version,(I didn't watch this link), it's only about 2 minutes worth. I think the full version is about 5 minutes long. All I remember is that it's hyseterical. The comments on YouTube said they cut the Frank Stallone music, so it might be cut up all to hell. Anyhow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WxCEkhGbfM

I'm not that strong a swimmer.

Last edited:
OMG!

That's my favorite SNL sketch, ever.

I've never seen the full version though :(

Wow, that could've been Chris's early Corky character from Guffman

inmyplace13 said:
They are all great films, for sure. Guffman is my favorite of the three. I actually wrote a piece in the paper my senior year of high school about how those three films are so underrated.

As much as I love them, they will never touch:

tapwq5.jpg
Hey it's Homer Simpson! :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's my favorite SNL sketch, ever.

I've never seen the full version though :(

[/i]

It's absolutely hysterical.
I think the full version is on a compilation, I just can't remember which. I'm old enough to have seen the original a few times but I've seen the full version on network Tv since then, I just don't remember what it was. It's possible it was the SNL '20' back in '95, they had a two hour special on network TV (this could also have been '90, 15 year celebration) Regardless, it's on something...

I would say it's on the Best of Martin Short, but he was only on SNL for one year. Come to think of it, all those guys were only on SNL for one year. 1984-85.

85-86 was the Anthony Michael Hall, Randy Quaid year.
And then the rebirth, 86-87 Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, enough said.

That skit is immortal, if you can ever catch Martin Short doing Jackie Thomas junior, that is some of the funniest shit ever.

It was the SNL 15 in '90, I used to rent that video frequently from Blockbuster. It's a shame it wasn't on the SNL 25, but I think they wanted to forget anything that didn't involve Eddie Murphy and was pre-'87.

Jackie Roger's 100,000 Jackpot Wad, wow :lol:

I wonder if I like these movies, will I like the old SCTV show? :hmm:

I saw a preview for it before Marie Antoinette this weekend - I can't wait!

I have to add my favorite Guest movie quote: "I hate you and I hate your ASS FACE!"

The only thing I've seen of his is Spinal Tap. :reject: I'll have to get busy at the video store.

I actually loved Spinal Tap so much that I bought it. I've never been big on the movie-buying thing, but that one is made for repeated viewings.

My absolute favourite line, from Nigel, is when they're discussing the album cover for Smell The Glove: "How much more black could this be? None more black."

:lol:

Actually, Spinal Tap was directed by Rob Reiner, but it's still a Guest-related classic nonetheless.

If you liked that, you have to see Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind. All in that order.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Actually, Spinal Tap was directed by Rob Reiner, but it's still a Guest-related classic nonetheless.

If you liked that, you have to see Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind. All in that order.

I will follow that order, sir. :up:

I loooove A Mighty Wind. "A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow" is so pretty, a little spot of sweetness in all the funny. Actually, that movie has a touch of sweetness throughout, which is nice.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Jackie Roger's 100,000 Jackpot Wad, wow :lol:

I wonder if I like these movies, will I like the old SCTV show? :hmm:

Crazy enough, I don't think SCTV is all that funny. I havent been able to view a decent enough compilation or anything.

Granted, I wouldn't claim to be near the "expert" on SCTV as SNL, I've only seen less than 10 SCTV episodes (NBC used to run them after SNL years ago and Comedy Central ran them for a very short time), all those funny people, I just felt it was rather underwhelming.

I am an SNL geek, I've probably seen every episode since the 85/86 season and lots from before then, of course. I am very opinionated about the show.

I think it's awesome that you know the Jackie Rogers skit, it's not one of the typical favorites.
I don't know what it is but Martin Short just cracks me up, I think that shit is funnier than Grimley.

I love the more obscure SNL shit.
Here is one example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkZHAqG79vg

Last edited:
You just linked one of my favorite all time sketches.

The H is O my friend.

"I'm going to have Glenn Frye's stank all over me."

The 75/76 season is getting released on DVD, if they do that with every season, I'm buying the 84/85 and 92/93 seasons in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom