The Cars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
could be back? According to KLOS radio in Los Angeles...

Rumors have surfaced that The Cars may be restarting their engine. Despite a terse "no comment" from the band's management company, 10th Street Entertainment, our Internet sleuths hacked this video teaser clip!. Additional speculation centers on whether all living original members of the band will be involved with this project or if The Cars will be fronted by someone new. One version of this rumor has put Todd Rundgren in the driver's seat.
Keep listening to 95.5 KLOS for your chance to win tickets to a very special event at the House of Blues – Sunset this Tuesday, 3/14 @ 10am! Where the band will play “live” for the first time in over 17 years!!!

Link to video clip and above post here:
http://www.955klos.com/goout.asp?u=.../listingsentryheadline.asp?id=418012&pt=blank

can't or should these bands that "reform" without some of the original members just call themselves something different than the original band name? I mean, Ocasek is apparently not part of this, and the other original member passed away (sorry, forgot his name).

:shrug:

Lila64 said:
I mean, Ocasek is apparently not part of this, and the other original member passed away (sorry, forgot his name).

Benjamin Orr

I love The Cars, but...a reunion?

Ocasek was the driving force behind that band, and Orr sang lead on many songs. If Ocasek was involved, then I could see it, but without him, and with Orr having passed away, I don't know how well that would work...

maybe they can have Rock Star: The Cars and have someone take over Orr's or Ocasek's spot in the band shamelessly!

that'll be awesome!!!!!! :barf:

I would love a reunion of the 4 remaining members of The Cars, but sadly this version of the band only features 2 of them: Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes.

Elliot has been playing guitar for a number of years with Creedence Clearwater Revisted, but has left them to start this new version of The Cars.

Ric Ocasek decided not to participate but has given them his blessing to continue without him, which is where Todd Rundgren comes into the equation.

I'm not sure why David Robinson decided not to participate, but his place on drums is being taken over by Clem Burke of Blondie, who will also continue to be a member of Blondie.

I have little interest in this new version of The Cars, other than it creates the opportunity for me to pretty easily get Easton and Hawkes to sign my Cars albums.

I just don't understand why these bands (sans main members) can reform and call themselves the same name as the original band. Sure, name recognition, but come on, just give your band a new name. It will be referenced as featuring former members of The Cars + Tod Rundgren anyways...
4.gif

Apparently Clem Burke is out of The New Cars. I talked to Clem at a show 6 months ago and he mentioned he was part of the band, but I found this online:

The New Cars
However, in 2005 rumors began circulating that Easton and Hawkes would be teaming with Todd Rundgren in a new Cars lineup. As preposterous as the rumor seemed, it eventually turned out to be true, with the revamped lineup calling itself The New Cars. In addition, two regular Rundgren collaborators, bassist Kasim Sulton and drummer Prairie Prince, will be replacing Orr and Robinson in the new lineup. Rundgren has referred to the project as "an opportunity...for me to pay my bills, play to a larger audience, work with musicians I know and like, and ideally have some fun for a year." The group is expected to tour and possibly record in 2006. Ocasek—who has opted out of any possibilities of a reunion—has reportedly given his blessing to Hawkes and Easton, saying, "I want Elliot and Greg to be happy."

A teaser for a new song, "Not Tonight," appeared on the internet in January 2006, sounding uncannily like the original group. The single is due to be released on March 20, 2006 according to allaccess.com.

Lila, Ticketmaster is already listing The New Cars for their L.A. area show. It turns out they are touring together with Blondie. Here is the info:

US $39.00 - US $78.50

Internet Onsale Info
Onsale to General Public:
Sat, 03/18/06 10:00 AM PST
Get a Text Message Reminder

Internet Presale Info
Internet Presales:
Start: Tue, 03/14/06 10:00 AM PST
End: Fri, 03/17/06 06:00 PM PST

HOB Presale:
Start: Wed, 03/15/06 10:00 AM PST
End: Fri, 03/17/06 06:00 PM PST

VH1 CLASSIC PRESENTS
THE NEW CARS & BLONDIE
ROAD RAGE TOUR 2006
GIBSON AMPHITHEATRE
NO REFUNDS INCL.FAC.FEE
SAT MAY 20 2006 8:15 PM

BUY TICKETS NOW AND GET AN EXCLUSIVE NEW CARS & BLONDIE 10 SONG DIGITAL EVENT ALBUM
*digital album includes five songs performed by The New Cars (four classic songs of The Cars, recorded live and the newly penned studio track “Not Tonight”) and five songs performed by Blondie (four previously unreleased live tracks and one new studio cover of “More Than This.” Each ticket purchase also includes free online membership to The New Cars Fan Club.
For complete details on all 4 VIP packages (including meet & greets!), please click here.

I have no desire to see them. If I didn't catch them in the early 80s, I ain't catching them now. But thanks for the info Halup.

Hubby saw them back in the day...

I saw them at the Forum in 1984. I may actually go to this show, seeing as they are together with Blondie, but I won't pay more than about $20 for this show. I'll look on Ebay for cheap tickets or try at the venue that night and if I have no luck, then I'll blow it off.

I noticed that The New Cars will be on Leno Tuesday nigth as well, so that's a chance to see how they are.

They have presales going on , and besides the normal ticket prices, they have:

Ultra Sweet Spot Meet & Greet
US $395.00

Ultra Sweet Spot
US $295.00

Sweet Spot
US $225.00

Top Spot
US $169.00

For shits and giggles i checked. For $395 you'll get front row in Boston.
295 is second row
225 was like 14th row and 169 was like 24th row.

I predict a cancellation.

martha said:
:shrug:

The Cars weren't all that exciting live anyway.
My first concert was The Cars in 1980. They could have put cardboard cut-outs of the bandmembers onstage and played the albums (pre-CD days) and the effect would have been basically the same.

Back
Top Bottom