The Canucks Vs. The Wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well the canucks won with their c game tonite.

im falling in love with brandon reid.

thank you vancouver, again.

That game was too close to comfort. Vancouver outshoots Minnesota 39-21 and barely wins. That was quite the drama though!! Did you know the Canucks have not lost one game with that guy singing the national anthem? That's why they keep using him. They've won 9 in a row with him! I saw it on BCTV News. I like how he let's the crowd sing. It's his signature move. Reminds me of Bono in that respect!

Go Canucks!!!

Ps. Wild fans - what do you think of our fans?

though it was obviously loud, it was nothing compared to the previous playoff games.

it seems even the fans were flat for this one, lol.

i really believe we got lucky, we didnt deserve to win. but good teams always find ways to win, so im not complaining.

That's true actually, Zoom. These fans weren't as loud as the game 5 and 7 fans against St. Louis. Have you noticed the average fan age goes up as the playoffs get deeper? I think it has something to do with ticket prices going up, the further they go. Younger people can't exactly afford to shell out $500 per ticket for decent seats. Scalpers have a hey day at this time of year with the wealthy who seem to permeate Vancouver.

And Pop Angel and Lilly:

Now that Chizip isn't around anymore, I can finally say this: Vancouver fans are bandwagoners with the best of them! You see, though, I have to explain why. We go to the cup finals every 10 years or so, but we never win. It's kind of like finding the relationship of your dreams but having it never work out, over and over again. So when the Canucks don't win, the fans just don't want to get hurt again. They feel they just can't take it, so they immedietly start telling themselves it "won't work out" just to deaden the blow, kind of like in a dying relationship. However, once the team starts winning and proves these fickle fans wrong, you've never seen more devotion! A lot of the fans are insecure about having a winning team, and need commitment, you see. They won't believe it until they get that ring, so to speak. That Stanley Cup ring. :wink:

Re: Re: Velcro

Michael Griffiths said:

It does work well, agreed. Lemaire is a pure hockey genius, I'll admit. He's basically employed the ideology of Marxism on the team! Every player now works in thier own personal way toward a creative personal labour, to the end of creating a utopian hockey world. They're all fighting for the end of class struggle (in the hockey sense), and therefore to the end of history as we know it. It's all very alarming. But that's why Vancouver is going to go in and "liberate" them for their communistic ways. :wink:

:lol: :laugh:

I love that!

Yes, the evil proletariates shall be contained! Enough with their "wild" ways! They must be stopped at all costs. For freedom. Yes, freedom to...to...whatever. Freedom. That's my final answer, and I'm sticking to it. You're either with us, or against us!

Re: Re: Velcro

Michael Griffiths said:

It does work well, agreed. Lemaire is a pure hockey genius, I'll admit. He's basically employed the ideology of Marxism on the team! Every player now works in thier own personal way toward a creative personal labour, to the end of creating a utopian hockey world. They're all fighting for the end of class struggle (in the hockey sense), and therefore to the end of history as we know it. It's all very alarming. But that's why Vancouver is going to go in and "liberate" them for their communistic ways. :wink:

That is AWESOME! I think I have a new "favorite poster - but, then again, I haven't gotten through this whole thread (postgame).

:bow: :applaud: :lmao: :lmao: :up: :laugh:

Wild Vs. Canucks (notice who I list first)

This is going to be such an amazing series. These two teams ae WAY better matched than Avs and Wild. Despite winning - Avs I think are a WAY BETTER team.

Wild actually looked good last night, outside of a few errors (like the second "Counted" goal for the Canucks when two of the players decided to skate into each other). It looks like Vancouver will let them skate and set up plays, and vice-versa. Makes for better hockey than I expected.

I am bummed Wild gave up that goal with less than two seconds left, but, I truly feel that the second disallowed goal should have counted. It look like it crossed the line to me.

Can't wait for tomorrow night!

Michael- I LOVED your analogy of Canuck fans! It's sooo true! However, I am with them all year long :sexywink: Not a bandwagoner of which you speak. :kiss:

If last night's hockey game had a title it would be called "The Mystery of the WAter Bottle" :laugh: I DO NOT like fernandez :angry:

Michael Griffiths said:
And Pop Angel and Lilly:

Now that Chizip isn't around anymore, I can finally say this: Vancouver fans are bandwagoners with the best of them! You see, though, I have to explain why. We go to the cup finals every 10 years or so, but we never win. It's kind of like finding the relationship of your dreams but having it never work out, over and over again. So when the Canucks don't win, the fans just don't want to get hurt again. They feel they just can't take it, so they immedietly start telling themselves it "won't work out" just to deaden the blow, kind of like in a dying relationship. However, once the team starts winning and proves these fickle fans wrong, you've never seen more devotion! A lot of the fans are insecure about having a winning team, and need commitment, you see. They won't believe it until they get that ring, so to speak. That Stanley Cup ring. :wink:

:macdevil: i am telling him you said this! haha! :evil:

Miss Velvet D:

Yes, I urge you to tell Chizip that! I want him to come back! I honestly miss that rivalry. Do you still talk to him? Not that I'm jealous of him or anything :sexywink:

Angel:

I know you're not one of the bandwagon jumpers! But keep in mind, the Canucks will have some more and highs and lows to contend with as the playoffs progress. The playoffs are so emotional! We have to stick with them through all of it - the good, the bad and the ugly. And yes, Fernandez should have been given a penaltly for that, IMO. Also, IMO, that puck was across the line. It was sitting on end, and the part that was touching the ice was clearly across the goal line. There may have been a part hanging over the line, but that wasn't the part that was touching. The part in the air was hanging over, if anything. Besides, it was tucked into the corner of the net, in an area that is well behind the line. However, I suppose if the video is inconclusive, there is nothing they can do. It has to be beyond a shadow of a doubt, which I suppose it wasn't in their opinion. Ah well, Canucks won anyway!

Zonelistener:

Hey, thanks for the compliment! You know I can't keep it up though, right? As for the Avs vs. Canucks, I don't think the Avs are necessarily better. Both teams are very evenly matched actually, but I think the edge goes to Vancouver in terms of physical play. Both the Avs and Canucks have a very offensive defense core (Jovo is almost as dangerous as Blake, while Ohlund, Sopel and Salo compare quite nicely to the Avs' defense core). Naslund, Bertuzzi and Morrison could go head to head with Sakic, Forsberg and Hejduk. The rest of the players are quite evenly matched, too. Vancouver, though, has a bunch of hitters in May, Klatt, Jovo, Bertuzzi and so forth, where as the Avs rely more on their skill alone (for the most part). That's why the Canucks have a better chance at beating the Wild, in my opinion. But agree with you: it should be a great series!

Michael Griffiths said:
And Pop Angel and Lilly:

:lol:

I remember seeing that in 1994, totally. That was the year the Wings lost in the first round to the SAN JOSE SHARKS :)rant: ) and so I was pulling for Vancouver as I am this year. I was devastated when I saw Mark Messier cackling his little bald head off, up there with the Cup.

I really hope that the Canucks go all the way this year and win real loyal fans. :up:

Angel said:
If last night's hockey game had a title it would be called "The Mystery of the WAter Bottle" :laugh: I DO NOT like fernandez :angry:

:mad: i :heart: manny

but i'm gonna level with ya, that was a goal. at the last second it got inside the net.

it's not like he PLANNED to keep his bottle there just in case that happened....not his fault.

Hey Lilly! That is quite big of you to admit that was a goal being that you're a Wild fan :) As to whether Fernandez put the water bottle right on the goal line on purpose, don't put it past him. It's the oldest trick in the book. *Many* (not just *Manny* hee hee) goalies do it, as it is one of many tactics that can give a slight advantage. You just never know if it will save you right? In fact, in the Ottawa game, the goalie was told by the ref to move the water bottle back, as it too was right on the line. The ref warned him not to do it again. Hasek was notorious for it! The ref also told Fernandez to put it at the back of the net. Goalies also sometimes dislodge the net just enough so it goes unnoticed but if there's a dangerous looking play they'll "accidentally" bump it off. Again, Hasek was notorious for it, but these and other tactics are not rare.

Lilly said:

:mad: i :heart: manny

but i'm gonna level with ya, that was a goal. at the last second it got inside the net.

it's not like he PLANNED to keep his bottle there just in case that happened....not his fault.

ofcourse he planned it, thats why goalies put the water bottle there. they have a holder for it in the back of the net, but they never put it there.

Hey Zoomer:

I was just thinking - Why are the Canucks trying to beat Minnesota at their own game when they don't have to? The Wild play a very patient, trapping style, and all I'm hearing from the Canucks is they also have to be patient. Bad move!! The Wild want them to play their game. I say, don't play their game. I say, blow the game *wide* open, bring up the defensmen on the rush. Why you ask? Because Minnesota will NOT be able to compete with them. For one, they're not used to it and, two, they're not as good at it. The Canucks would score more goals than Minnesota would, simple as that.

Also, if they did this, Cloutier would be sharper, as he even said he'd rather face 30 shots than 15. It would help him to focus, and it would allow us to score. It's a win win for us. Why the hell hasn't Crawford thought about this? The Oilers of the 80s used to do it to defensive teams all the time. Get them to play their game, and of course once you do that, you have them right where you want them! The Oilers did it to the Flyers in the finals on a couple of occasions. Why can't the Canucks do it in this series?

i disagree - i don't think the wild want the canucks to play their game per se. two teams being patient with one another in the playoffs is boring (for me) and tedius (for them). the idea behind playing like a python for the wild is that their opponents have to be the ones to move first. i don't see the logic in playing like a python to try and beat the wild, you can see that wild have more patience than any other team.

i think in the 3rd period in the last game the canucks changed from being patient into being the canucks. note how that's when they got their tying goal and eventually the winning goal. i'll be surprised if they try to be patient as long tonight.

can the refs see the inside camera shot? because yes, the water bottle was blocking on the top, but on that side shot from inside the net showed the puck go flush against the inside of the net then roll out again. i can't help but think that if the ref saw that shot, there would have been a different decision.

Lilly - that's a good point about possibly the refs not seeing that shot. I honestly don't know if they use the inside camera or not. If they don't, they're fools! I suppose, though, the camera shot has to show some white ice in between the puck and the line, and the inside shot--correct me if I'm wrong--didn't actually reveal the white ice because it was a shot from *behind* the puck. But logically, we can deduce from the fact that the puck was tucked in behind that it did cross the line. However, logic is not enough to provide conclusive, unrefutable evidence. It has to be beyond a shadow of a doubt -- ie, visible to the naked eye that it crossed the line. I don't think it met that criteria, which is why it wasn't called a goal.

Also, good point that the Wild don't want the Canucks to be patient. You mention that would make for very boring, tedious hockey. That, I agree with you. It would be like the Wild playing the NJ Devils of '95! The games would go to tripple/tripple OT! My complaint is that the Canucks aren't opening it up. I think that would hurt the Wild, because as soon as they started going for the open holes that Vancouver would give them, Vancouver could counter attack and beat them that way. The Oilers were famous for it back in the day. You need a good goalie for that strategy though, but I think Cloutes would be up to the task. He plays way better when he gets lots of shots.

Last edited:
In case this hasn't been mentioned, the record between these two team was a draw during the regular season. Both teams beat each other twice and the final game of these season they tied. Doesn't get any closer than that.

okay bye.

:combust:I'M WIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLD FOR THE WILD!!!:combust:

:combust:
siren.gif
:combust:

:combust:WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:combust:

:dance:Time for everyone to jump off the canucks bandwagon, dont hurt your ankles!!!!:dance:

:wink:

:shocked:

oh no he DI'NT :shame:

That was some fight :up:

Go us.

There there, *pats bear on back* Sorry Ol' boy. :tsk:

:wink:

[/overuseage of smilies]

Bwahaha! Chizip. The man is back!

Ah, I'm still a firm believer. The Canucks should have had a penalty *SHOT* at the end of the game. The Wild player covered the puck IN THE CREASE! That's a no no. Luckily for them, blind man Mr. Magoo didn't see it. And to top it off, they brought the face-off outside the zone - in fact, in the Canucks own end! What a disgrace. Oh, well. The Canucks haven't played their best yet, so it should be an interesting series.

Thanks Velvet D! I've missed the old goat.

Another thing about the game - Not only did the Canucks get robbed on the penalty shot, but they got robbed on that last faceoff win. There was some tugging, so the "ref" blew the whistle after they won the draw! Not only that, but that Wild player cross-checked Linden FROM BEHIND! To the back of the neck! No call??? That was dirty, and dangerous. Linden's lucky he wasn't too badly hurt on the play (I hope he wasn't). Wow, the NHL sinks to new lows.

But good hard fought win by the Wild. I'll give them credit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom