The Canucks Vs. The Wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zonelistener, how about a free airplane ride and tickets to games 3 and 4?

i promise i wont ask for anything more.

:wink:

zonelistener said:
I want to welcome ARW9797 and Lily to the bandwagon here! :mad: Where were you guys in the first round when I had to take on Avsgirl41 by myself? :mad:

GO WILD!:wave: :wave:
gab101_7034.jpg

:ohmy: Sorry Zoney! You should have pm'd me to tell me you needed help and that I should jump on the bandwagon! :shrug:

...oh that's right...I wasn't going to post in a hockey thread again. :hmm: I just might have to since everyone around me is yelling GO WILD! I might have to come back in here and yell it a few times myself for my family and friends.......

I like toast

Zoney, sorry I wasn't here sooner to help out during the first round. (I forgot there was a Sports Forum here. :der: ) Sorry you will be watching the games in IL, but you can send good vibes form there. Heck, I'll be watching game 1 from Cheesecountry myself...taking all their abuse.

If we make it through this round and eventually play Dallas that would be awesome! Wouldn't it be great to KICK THEIR BUTT! :madspit:

Ahhh. Brings back memories of NORTH Stars games. :sigh:

Okay, I gotta go finish making my Canucks Voodoo dolls now. Heh heh.

zonelistener said:
I want to welcome ARW9797 and Lily to the bandwagon here!

i will also extend welcome to lily. :angry:

michael - is it too much to ask your canadian writers to spell?

They are a lunch pail, blue-collar, no-name team.

1. the wild are not pails nor buckets.

2. no name team...well obviously, we're only 3 years old with a very tiny budget.

:rolleyes:
nice cheap shots.

I think the point they were getting at is how much they've accomplished in *spite* of the obstacles they've had to overcome. First, they are a very new team, and second, they are blue-collar in the sense they have to be gritty to earn their wins. They have to get their hands dirty, so to speak. Don't you agree with that?

http://faceoff.com/nhl/teams/canucks/news/story.html?f=/news/20030424/363234.html

Wild won't be a walk

Red Wing scout Bob McCammon likes Canucks' chances in Round 2, but warns Wild are real deal

By ELLIOTT PAP
The Vancouver Sun

As a pro scout for the Detroit Red Wings, former Canuck coach Bob McCammon earns his dough dissecting opposition teams, their tendencies, matchups and special units.

McCammon is a crafty fellow - hence the nickname "Cagey" - but there is nothing crafty or cagey about his message for the Canucks. The Minnesota Wild, he warned, are not to be treated lightly. Not even in the slightest.

"Minnesota is for real," McCammon stated Wednesday. "You don't beat Colorado in seven games unless you are a pretty good hockey team."

McCammon admits to being awfully impressed with the job Wild coach Jacques Lemaire has done with his group of misfits and castoffs, augmented only by high draft picks Marian Gaborik and Nick Schultz.

The Wild, he noted, are fleet of foot and they have superb goaltending in Manny Fernandez and Dwayne Roloson. But, most of all, they have the tactical brilliance of Lemaire behind the bench.

"Jacques Lemaire is a great coach with lesser talent and he's proven that time and time again," said McCammon. "He's done a spectacular job.

"Everybody says 'oh, Minnesota is going to trap you to death' but when the forecheck is there, they'll forecheck. They can skate and they come hard."

The Canucks, of course, can also bring it as the St. Louis Blues' battered defence discovered. Todd Bertuzzi, Matt Cooke, Trent Klatt, Jarkko Ruutu and Brad May were a pack of human battering rams against the Blues and will be expected to do no less against the Wild.

McCammon figures the Canucks have a few more weapons in their arsenal and that should sway the series in their favour.

"If Vancouver uses the same script they used against St. Louis, they should win the series in five or six games," said McCammon. "If they stay disciplined, don't take bad penalties and play their normal game, they'll be going on to the next round, they're just a little better hockey team."

Here's how the teams match up:

GOALTENDING

Manny Fernandez entered the Wild's series with Colorado halfway through and performed superbly, winning all three of his starts. Fernandez carries a playoff save percentage of .939 that is even more impressive than his .924 regular-season mark.

Canuck stopper Dan Cloutier had some rough moments in the St. Louis series and emerged from the first round ranked 15th among playoff goalies. But he came through in the clutch, which is far more important than any statistical number.

His early save Tuesday on Keith Tkachuk, when it was already 1-0 St. Louis and threatening to become a fiasco, was as large as they come.

Edge: Even.

DEFENCE

The return of Mattias Ohlund from knee surgery was a significant boost to a Vancouver blueline that was displaying one too many warts. The Canucks have the experience in Murray Baron, the dash in Ed Jovanovski, the cannon shot in Sami Salo, the reliability of Marek Malik and the offence of Brent Sopel.

As a group, the defencemen netted 18 points against the Blues and were a constant threat to score. Their size, with Jovanovski the lightest at 210 pounds, is imposing.

The Wild don't have any marquee names patrolling their blueline and their top pairing of Willie Mitchell and Schultz will likely draw the assignment of trying to neutralize Bertuzzi and captain Markus Naslund. (Mitchell and Schultz faced Peter Forsberg's unit in the victorious Colorado series.)

Their second pair, Filip Kuba and Lubomir Sekeras, was usually out against Joe Sakic so expect to see plenty of them, especially if the Canucks deploy Bertuzzi on two lines. After Kuba, there is not a lot of offence from this defence.

Edge: Canucks.

FORWARDS

Few teams can match the Canucks' blend of power, speed and finesse up front, let alone the Wild who netted 66 fewer goals during the regular season. Bertuzzi only scored once against St. Louis but his menacing presence had the Blues in a funk throughout the series.

Naslund regained his scoring touch against the Blues, the Sedin twins became an emerging nightmare with their wonderful puck possession game and Brendan Morrison responded magnificently to the justified criticism he wasn't meeting expectation.

The Canuck muckers mucked like nobody's business and Trevor Linden, well, he was again Trevor Linden.

On the Wild side, young star Gaborik and wily vet Andrew Brunette both had excellent first rounds against Colorado. Sergei Zholtok, Cliff Ronning and Pascal Dupuis can provide offensive support while Wes Walz and Antti Laaksonen are the tenacious lead checkers.

But as a group, the Minnesota forwards are small and their quickness may be nullified by Vancouver's large defence.

Edge: Canucks.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Surprisingly, the Wild enter the series with the top-ranked power play while the Canucks' penalty kill is a large question mark based on its problems against St. Louis. The Wild also had the fourth best penalty kill during the regular season and will likely attempt to frustrate the Canuck power play with up-ice pressure as St. Louis did.

Edge: Wild.

INTANGIBLES

The ragtag Wild weren't supposed to be here and have absolutely no pressure. Everything is gravy for them. The Canucks seem to relish the underdog role themselves and play better when less is expected. Well, a lot is expected now.

Edge: Wild.

Prediction: Canucks in six

Last edited:
zonelistener said:
I want to welcome ARW9797 and Lily to the bandwagon here! :mad: Where were you guys in the first round when I had to take on Avsgirl41 by myself? :mad:

I love the CULT! And as a member of the Wild payroll (no joke - I have a nice part time gig selling game tickets that gets me into the games and free tickets to Who concerts for other Interferencers) I know we can't look ahead, but lets just imagine for a moment a series between Dallas and THE STATE OF HOCKEY! :drool: Talk about JUSTIFIED!

Mr. Griffiths is a very good poster - I agree very much. This will not be the most exciting hockey series ever seen! Zoomerang96 isn't so much. I will also give the :up: to Angel - but only because we have hung out before.

I am excited (despite the fact I have to watch from Illinois :( - and I can't fly Deathbear in for a game like we talked about earlier. :(

Okay - too much excitement - yes, thank you Lemon Pie Firend for giving up seasons so the Wild can win.

GO WILD!:wave: :wave:
gab101_7034.jpg

what i get no props! :down:

Yeah for my Atlanta friend CHEERING FOR THE COOL TEAM!
(did you get my message last night?)

And yes, I am glad Lilly welcomed Lily - from now on, we will call you Lilly. Speaking of 'sotans, shouldn't be long before Ali Rose jumps on board. Yeah Minnesota :clap:

GO WILD (or toast, if you like calling them that).

aw shucks - dumb canucks :lol:

Zoomerang96 said:
zonelistener, how about a free airplane ride and tickets to games 3 and 4?

i promise i wont ask for anything more.

:wink:

Wish I could (and I would if I could) - but I am stuck about the same distance from Excel Energy Center as you are - just south and east.

Next time I live in Minneapolis, work at the X for the Wild and the airline and the Wild play the Canucks! :sexywink:

Re: aw shucks - dumb canucks :lol:

zonelistener said:

Wish I could (and I would if I could) - but I am stuck about the same distance from Excel Energy Center as you are - just south and east.

Next time I live in Minneapolis, work at the X for the Wild and the airline and the Wild play the Canucks! :sexywink:

Just so you don't become a Blackhawks fan. :shame:

(Maybe I'll have to remind Walkron about this forum, he seldom leave IO.)

Hey Angle and Bear:

Want to hear a Minnesota Wild joke? Okay, so there's a Vancouver Canuck fan attending a game in Minnesota against the Canucks, and in good fun he asks the guy next to him if he wants to hear a Minnesota Wild joke.

The Minnesota fan: "Sure, but just so you know I'm 6 foot, 200 pounds; the guy next to me is 6 foot 2, 220 pounds and also a big fan, and the guy next to him is 6 foot 4, 240 pounds. Do you still want to tell that joke?"

The Vancouver fan: "No, I don't want to have to explain it three times."

Last edited:
:lmao: Michael!

And get this! (although you all probably already know this) but the Wild don't have one standing Captain. They switch around from player to player and stick the "C" on their jerseys with velcro! :lol: Now THAT is one helluva funny joke.... only it's REALITY! :| :crack: :laugh:

MG must have been describing all of us Interferencer/Wild fans in that joke. We look just like those guys. :lol:

Michael Griffiths said:
Hey Angle and Bear:

Want to hear a Minnesota Wild joke? Okay, so there's a Vancouver Canuck fan attending a game in Minnesota against the Canucks, and in good fun he asks the guy next to him if he wants to hear a Minnesota Wild joke.

The Minnesota fan: "Sure, but just so you know I'm 6 foot, 200 pounds; the guy next to me is 6 foot 2, 220 pounds and also a big fan, and the guy next to him is 6 foot 4, 240 pounds. Do you still want to tell that joke?"

The Vancouver fan: "No, I don't want to have to explain it three times."

haha, that would work well on leafs fans too.

Velcro

Angel said:

And get this! (although you all probably already know this) but the Wild don't have one standing Captain. They switch around from player to player and stick the "C" on their jerseys with velcro! :lol: Now THAT is one helluva funny joke.... only it's REALITY! :| :crack: :laugh:

It's not VELCOR. :angry:
Their mother's sew the patch on when it is their turn! :angry:

Actually - it is a pretty cool deal. Lemaire rewards the players with the "Captain" status. Works well, if you ask me.

Angel said:

Yes, I do know that. Just one more thing to prove this team is not a team, but a cult. It's actually kind of scary, isn't it? They don't care about anything individual. All they care about is the "collective". They're like the Borg from Startrek. I hope resistence isn't futile!

Last edited:
Re: Velcro

zonelistener said:

It's not VELCOR. :angry:
Their mother's sew the patch on when it is their turn! :angry:

Actually - it is a pretty cool deal. Lemaire rewards the players with the "Captain" status. Works well, if you ask me.
It does work well, agreed. Lemaire is a pure hockey genius, I'll admit. He's basically employed the ideology of Marxism on the team! Every player now works in thier own personal way toward a creative personal labour, to the end of creating a utopian hockey world. They're all fighting for the end of class struggle (in the hockey sense), and therefore to the end of history as we know it. It's all very alarming. But that's why Vancouver is going to go in and "liberate" them for their communistic ways. :wink:

:shocked: Holy F*ck are you kidding me?!??@@@!!!!! 1.5 seconds left in the game and GOAL!!!!!!!!

:wave: 5 beers later........

HELLO OT!!!!

Back
Top Bottom