The Canucks Vs. The Wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just have to say if i was a canucks fan i would be pissed at bertuzzi

not only did he have a terrible playoffs, he just pretty much made a jackass of himself

stupid penalties, stupid remarks, you've got to put up or shut up and he did neither

Well it's mid-May and looks like the Canucks are out... Miss Cleo was right.

Sorry to all the Vancouverphiles out there, but don't fret too much. I have a seat reserved for you on my cart, and a tee-time booked for tomorrow morning.

See you on the links... I've already been there, for what, a month?

You're funny, Chizip. Well, what can I say? The Wild deserved to win the series. The Canucks played a great game, but gave it away when it counted. Dan Cloutier played well, and I feel sorry for him because he had very little chance on 3 of the 4 goals, especially the bouncing puck that went over the net from behind onto the wild stick. That's what makes hockey such a great sport, though. Bounces and inches are part of the game, and whoever capitalizes on them the most usually wins. I give the Wild full credit. They never gave up even when it seemed the Canucks had the game in the bag up 2-0. Congrats to them and and their fans. Way to go guys!!! I hope you have a great series against Anaheim.

Go Ottawa!!! :)

Oh, forgot to add in response to Chizip's comment. Bertuzzi played his best game of the series tonight, and that breakaway goal was *sweeeet*! Also, it was reavealed tonight during the game on CBC that bertuzzi had an undisclosed upper body injury. I could have told you that since the St. Louis series, though.

Cloutier played well??

Now that is funny.

GAA Save %
3.17 .874

and thats before this game, which will make those numbers even worse

ive been reading the canucks boards and they are all pissed at cloutier and want him gone

the second and third goals were his fault, and you cant give up 2 softies in a game 7

i think his undisclosed upper body injury was his brain, he is just not too bright

why oh why would you push their player into the goalie with 4 min left of a game 7 down by a goal

and i could have told you about the undisclosed injuries of the blues, as it turns out 5 of them were playing with either a broken hand or foot that was not revealed, this on top of the other injuries

but as you said, mentioning injuries is whining, and so i didnt want to bring it up

Cloutier played very well in game 7. His statistics are horrible, but that isn't reflective of his performance tonight. I don't blame him for tonight's loss. But yes, he may be gone by this summer. He tends to crack under pressure. It's too bad, because he's got so much talent. You should have seen him junior. People thought he was the next Ken Dryden! Maybe that's just it though. He's always had so much pressure to deal with, and maybe he's not cut out for that. The off season should be interesting. The Canucks learned so much from this playoffs and season for that matter. Next year they will be even better. I can hardly wait!

Congrats to the Canucks for a great year. They broke 3 team records this year, and tied an individual recored. That's a pretty great year. They're still a young team, and will have much to accomplish in the years to come.

Thanks Vancouver! You gave me many great nights and I'll cherish the memories of the season.

Chizip said:
i think his undisclosed upper body injury was his brain, he is just not too bright

nice... probably true. Still a good hockey player though. Not a bad endorsement commercial from Gatorade either.

Yes, that penalty should not have been called. Bertuzzi hardly touched the player, and Roloson simply reaggrivated the injury that he's had all series long. The Canucks didn't get one powerplay tonight, which I actually enjoyed, but I wish it was called evenly for the entire game. Everyone got away with murder for the first 40 minutes until the Canucks were up 2-0. Those are the breaks though, and what makes hockey all the more interesting.

Take care everyone. Good luck Minnesota fans!! I'll see you next year.

Go Sens!!!

A :hug: to Vancouver fans tonight, as someone who was just there!

I turned on the game during the last 5:00 and watched it end. I was really rooting for them.

I think the Canucks could go all the way if they'd just stay out of the penalty box during playoffs. It seems like that's how the Avs always beat them. :shrug: I could be wrong, I didn't see enough of the series to judge.

Yes, AvsGirl, I totally agree with you. The Canucks were totally undisciplined this whole series, and not just by taking penalties. They were impatient and unfocussed at times as well. To be honest, I thought the Canucks played their very best game of the series tonight, but it just wasn't meant to be. When they were up 2-0, I was 80% sure they would win the game. But that's how it goes sometimes, I guess.

Thanks for the hugs. :hug:

wavetowel.gif

screw brunette, check my new boyfriend schultz

Chizip said:

not only did he have a terrible playoffs, he just pretty much made a jackass of himself

he did really make an ass of himself, and in combination with ruutu, he helped win the PR game for the wild (earnest hard fighters who will win and DESERVE it).

Chizip said:

stupid penalties, stupid remarks, you've got to put up or shut up and he did neither

No shit. :down:

Well, I wish the Wild nothing but the best of luck in kicking Anaheim's fluffy tailed asses.

Michael Griffiths said:
...The Canucks learned so much from this playoffs and season for that matter. Next year they will be even better. I can hardly wait!

Congrats to the Canucks for a great year. They broke 3 team records this year, and tied an individual recored. That's a pretty great year. They're still a young team, and will have much to accomplish in the years to come.

Thanks Vancouver! You gave me many great nights and I'll cherish the memories of the season.

:yes: I couldn't have said it better myself!

Just a few comments of my own to add: The Canucks really need to work on their rebound... We had a lot of good solid shots but where were we when the puck got deflected out? We had tons of chances last night to capitalize on that but we could never get our position.
I have to say as a Canucks fan I feel real bad for Bertuzzi... he could have ended the season on a high with that sweet break away goal... but f*cked up and took a penalty. I don't believe that penalty caused the loss but you never know. :shrug: We ended up spending serious time killing a penalty when we should have had that time for putting on the pressure. Oh well... I still feel pretty damn proud to be a Canucklehead and as Michael already said- I can't wait for next year!

GO DUCKS!!!! :macdevil:

Last edited:
You know... and one more thing... I still think Cloutier is a kick ass goalie... I am not sure if trading him is the answer. He has had some sweetass saves this season and helped to bring the Canucks where they are. It's a combination of many factors, it's unfortunate the goalie always take the brunt of the dissatisfcation. That being said... he did allow a couple pretty pansy-assed goals in, but hey... oh I dunno... We're out. Twas a good season.

My hat goes off to Roloson though. If it weren't for him, things would be very different today.

:sigh: Thx Chizip...... I know you feel my pain, if not in a somewhat smug way.

hey us losers have to stick together, at least you got an extra round of fun

:hug:losers:hug:

Wow - It seems like every time I have travel troubles, the Wild win.

*books travel on game days for the next 14 games.

Well, it is Minnesota's turn to extract revenge against Anaheim for the Twins loss during the baseball playoffs.

grifdawg
Don't leave the "Grifdawg" forum yet........I want your analysis on the hockey games coming up!!!!

Angel
I remember you saying something about getting your butt kicked by people if the Canucks lost. No kicking here (unless Ronald McDonald makes an appearance). :hug:Angel:hug: You have been an awesome fan to cheer against, despite how sucky your team is. :lol: :sexywink:

Zoomerang96
Rock on brother! Now cheer for your local team, dammit! :p And if you don't, you will never have the honor of getting a hockey ticket from me. :angry:

mmmmbono
Going to see Pearl Jam at the home of the Minnesota Wild! I work there......

Other hockey fans who have cheered for losing teams throughout the playoffs....please don't cheer for the Wild - the Ducks really want to lose - they need your support! :p :eeklaugh:

Lemon Meringue, Lilly, Ali Rose, Sula, WalkRon, ARW9797 and ther est of the Minnesota contingent.........

WE ARE THE STATE OF HOCKEY

Last edited:
go ahead...rub it in and brag...see if I care

for Angel's reference......:lmao: :reject:

Angel said:
My prediction: The Canucks will take the Cup simply because I am moving back East in a few weeks. See, it's like Murphy's Law or something... I have lived on the Coast my whole damn life and the year I move back East the Canuck's take the Cup. Don't even try to fight it because it is a done deal. Really, it is as simple as that.

My second prediction: when the Canucks beat Minnisota I am gonna rub it in and brag my ass off.

My third prediction: when the Canucks have Duck for dinner, I am going to rub it in and brag my ass off.

... oh and my fourth prediction? when the Canucks take the Cup, I am going to rub it in and probably get my ass kicked in some bar in Montreal.

:kiss:

what a horribly shitty day. to think if im actually away next year i wont be able to see a canucks game for ages.

but you know what? you have to look at what the canucks have done over the past four or five years. theyve improved a lot in each of them, and their playoff success has grown with each year as well.

look at detroit in the 90's if you want an idea of what im talking about.

the future is bright, theres no question about it. :up:

:up: bear = pure class

Zoom :mad: You dirty dog!! I have no shame in my predictions and hey! so we lost. My love for the Canucks is still strong and true. But damn, could today be more depressing. :(

Angel said:
My love for the Canucks is still strong and true.

:up:
I am excited for the Wild - yet at the same time bummed - I would have been happy no matter how the game went last night.

On my way out of Saint Paul last night - I was waiting for a city bus to the airport outside of the Excel Energy Center - and there sat the lonely CBC truck - all ablaze in Hockey Night in Canada logos. I so wanted to have my picture taken with the truck.....

Wow. :sigh: It is long, but read this article... says so much.

Players crushed as realization of what they let slip away sinks in.

By GARY MASON
Vancouver Sun

Steve Bosch, Vancouver Sun

Minnesota Wild celebrate seventh game win over Vancouver Canucks in second round of NHL playoffs Thursday at GM Place.

All around the room were snapshots of sadness and dejection. Trent Klatt sat at his locker, all his equipment on, staring at nothing. His captain, Markus Naslund, stood beside him in his underwear, waiting to be gobbled up by the wave of reporters washing into the room.

Todd Bertuzzi sat at his locker too, putting away his equipment, piece by piece, still numb.

The season was over. The words sounded horrible.

"It sucks," said Bertuzzi, when asked how it felt to be out of the playoffs.

"What do you do now?" he was asked next.

Bertuzzi didn't answer and after an awkward silence reporters began walking away.

"What kind of stupid question is that?" Bertuzzi snapped.

Naslund stood with his hands on his hips, one foot on his locker. He looked ready to cry. He really did.

"I don't have much to say right now," he began. "It's a real empty feeling that's all. I think we worked hard all year and to have a finish like this is very disappointing. I mean, to be up 2-0 in this game with a chance to win it all and not is just ..."

You couldn't hear the rest of what he said.

And then there was Dan Cloutier, the centre of so much attention heading into Thursday's game, the centre of so much attention after it too. The critics would not be kind to him after this series. He knew it. His teammates knew it. But he was in no mood to accept all the blame himself.

"Like I said before," he said. "That team maybe didn't have the same talent as we did but they played better as a team and were committed to doing all the little things right and that's why they were successful."

And who could argue with that?

A wasted season? Maybe that's a bit harsh although that's certainly how it feels right now. Not that long ago this franchise would have been satisfied with a second-round appearance in the playoffs, especially a team this young, a team still growing together. At the same time, though, this group was anointed something special as this most special of seasons unfolded.

Maybe if the Canucks hadn't finished with 104 points in the regular season, if they hadn't been within a breath of finishing third in the west, then our expectations wouldn't have been so great. Maybe if they hadn't had two players in the top five in league scoring -- the first time that has happened in the team's history -- our hopes wouldn't have been as great either.

But maybe, in the end, this team wasn't as great as it was billed either. Certainly there were signs of its vulnerability down the homestretch of the regular season when they needed a couple of wins in the worst way to clinch the Northwest division title but couldn't get them. In fact, all they needed on the last day of the regular season was a tie against the Los Angeles Kings and they couldn't get that either.

"We choked," the team's captain would say in one of the most honest and famous quotes that has ever been uttered by a player on this team.

They had a chance to redeem themselves in the first round against the St. Louis Blues. Fans lost faith in them in that series, too, but they stormed back from three games to one to reclaim the love and adulation of all. And for their victory they won the right to take on the Wild, which had upset the Colorado Avalanche in hockey's own version of Rocky.

This series pitted the second highest scoring team in the NHL against one that was often satisfied to get one or two a game. While no team was ever a pushover in the playoffs on paper this one seemed like a mismatch. The sea was parting, it appeared, for the Canucks to go to the conference finals and beyond. The Wild, however, decided a sequel was in order.

Rocky II?

I know, I hated that one too.

So, the question today is, did your hockey team choke again, Canucks fans? Was the three-one lead in games just too much for them to handle? Combined with the 7-2 and 5-1 thrashings in the two games prior to Thursday night's, does this meltdown merit its own place in NHL history, let alone club history?

Probably not. But it sure does hurt.

Now, the immediate reaction here is to, well, react. Get rid of this guy, get rid of that guy. Find a new goalie. I know the feeling. In the last week there were probably a half dozen players I would have traded at one point or another. But you know how the manager of your kid's baseball team has a 24-hour rule? If you don't like something the coach is doing, you wait 24 hours before approaching him. Well, I suggest we all take that same advice here.

This defeat still stings.

Now is not the time to be dismantling this team because of a second-round playoff failure.

Tomorrow is.

Sorry. Small joke.

But seriously, if you're a Canucks fan, spend a few days licking your wounds before you turn your attention to next season. It's too early. And there are too many good things to celebrate that shouldn't be forgotten. It wouldn't be right for that 10-game winning streak and that 14-game unbeaten during the regular season to suddenly mean nothing. And to not celebrate the season Markus Naslund had, the first Hart trophy finalist in the club's history, would be wrong too.

Before heading to the showers, reporters grabbed defenceman Ed Jovanovski, the Canucks leading goal scorer in these playoffs. He was crushed. You could see it in his eyes, in the way his shoulders were slumped. I felt bad for the guy.

"It's a cruel game sometimes," he said. "Sometimes it doesn't go your way. But I think we all have to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if each of us did that much more in this room, if not tonight a few nights earlier, would we be the ones celebrating. And that's the part that pisses me off the most. The opportunity was there."

Then Jovanovski started to walk away. But before he reached the shower he turned.

"But I still say every guy in this room should hold his head up high and be proud of themselves."

And then he disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom