The British Invasion...OR...zoney, ali rose and sula and the Elbow/Doves adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Ok, here?s the story of zonelistener, Ali Rose, and sula?s trip to see Elbow and Doves. Ali Rose and I had gone to see Pete Yorn play at First Avenue a few months ago and this band called ?Elbow? was scheduled to open for him. ?Who the hell is Elbow?? we asked each other. We snagged spots against the front railing and lo and behold, when the opening band came out, they were absolutely FANTASTIC!!! (Pete Yorn was fun too, but not the object of this story;)) So, from that experience, we both went out and bought Elbow?s CD ?Asleep in the Back? in the weeks following the show. Then we heard that they were coming back to town to support Doves on their tour, and having by this time fallen quite hard for their tunes?we purchased tickets for the show. Zoney and his significant other were also planning to go to the show as they were big Doves fans.

Fast forward to last night. Zone?s sig other became just an other :sad: so he had the dubious pleasure of hanging out with Ali Rose and I (lucky him!) for the evening. Ali had driven to the show and zone picked me up at my place?we were cutting it a bit close and had to literally run from the parking garage to the venue through the rain. (not real fun in sandals, let me tell you!) Thankfully, Ali had gotten a nice position on the corner of the stage front, and we made it with a few minutes to spare before Elbow came on. I had slipped my handy little Olympus camera in my purse and had come prepared with 2 rolls of 800 speed film, but didn?t want to get in trouble for taking photos so was trying to think of the most surreptitious way to go about it. I love my little camera tho, because it?s small and compact and has one of the biggest zooms I?ve seen on a camera of its size, so I can see close without having to get close. Anyways, turned off the flash so as not to attract attention and spent the first bit of Elbow?s set wandering the crowd, trying to see if I could get a better view (There was a guy with a big head right in front of me and our spot on the edge of the crowd was nervously close to the security guys). I ended up tapping this huge 6?6 guy on the shoulder and asking him if he could take a photo for me over the heads of the crowd. Lol. He did so, and then I figured what the hell, might as well go rejoin zone and ali and see if I can just be sneaky and take pics from our spot. So that is what I did. Took a whole roll of ?em. I expect only a handful will come out tho because of low lighting, my reluctance to use the flash, etc. But I digress.

Elbow played a shorter set than I would have liked. :( 8 or 9 songs I believe. My memory is hazy, but I know they opened with Any Day Now, and also did Red, Bitten by the Tailfly, Newborn, and some others :huh: and finished off with the absolutely sublime Scattered Black and Whites. :heart: The audience really was into it and when Guy asked if anyone had seen Elbow before, there was a significant amount of noise, so I believe that there were more people like Ali and I who had seen them with Pete earlier.

Ok, now for the part where I tell you how sweet of a guy zonelistener is. When Doves took the stage, they came right past us (as we were on the front corner) and zoney had whipped out his cell phone, called his friend (formerly sig other)?s answering machine and got the lead singer to yell ?Hi [insert name]!? into the phone as they got onstage! Lmao. Is that not nice? Everyone say ?Awwwwww!?

I had not yet heard any stuff by Doves but was pretty sure I was going to like them, based on things I?ve heard from people here whose musical judgement is very sound (yes, meg, that?s YOU!) and I must say, I can?t wait to get their CDs now. They were really really exceptional. The crowd was totally into them and it was a great atmosphere. Jimi, who did most of the vocals and bass, was a bit ?pissed? to use his phrase (I believe that translates to ?drunk? in American) and had a good bit of fun good-naturedly heckling the crowd. ?You guys have a f***in? wrestler for a governor???? Aren?t all you people of voting age??? What the hell were you thinking?? lmao. I don?t know any of their music, so I can?t make a setlist report except to say that it rocked and the song that does stick out in my mind was Catch the Sun. They closed off the set with a song that Jimi dedicated to ?Jesse the Body Ventura? which was a really clubby dance kind of song. Actually, that was one of the funnest parts of the evening as everyone started dancing and grooving to the music in a very uninhibited sort of way. :D

(to be continued)

pt. 2

After the show, the three of us hung out to see if we could catch any of the band. Glancing out the side door, there was Pete, the bassist for Elbow, having a cigarette and chatting with someone. Ali and I were a bit shy to approach him, but he was really nice and friendly.

Then the guitar player from Doves came out to hang in the bar and we chatted with him for a bit, got pics, etc. He was really friendly and played along with zoney and the cell phone messaging thing ? left a funny message for zone?s friend. While hanging with him and the drummer, a fan comes up and tells them that they gotta come play in Winnepeg. Winnepeg? Turns out he had driven all the way down (500 miles or so?) for the show. The guitar player is obviously impressed by this and says to the drummer, ?hey, this guy drove 500 miles to see us! Bloody hell!? :lol: Ali and I keep watching the door to see if Guy Garvey would come up and met Jimi from Doves in the meantime. He?s still chainsmoking and seems a bit bewildered that we would want to meet him, but gamely grabs my camera, pulls us both close and then takes a picture of the three of us. If that one comes out, it will probably look hilarious. :p

So then we?re standing around, waiting to see if Guy will show up. We see Mark, the adorable short guitar player from Elbow quite engaged at the bar talking to two blond girls. Hmmm, we?d like to go say hi, but we don?t want to interupt what looks like a nice little flirt session. One of the roadies whom we had met while chatting with the Doves guitarist comes over to Ali and I and asks if we are waiting for Jimi, cuz he had probably already left. no, we already saw him, we answer?we?re actually waiting for Guy from Elbow. He says oh and then goes downstairs to the backstage room only to emerge a few minutes later with Guy. Yippee! So over we go to say hullo, thank him for the good show, get some stuff signed and take a pic. He?s terribly nice and soft spoken, thanks us for coming, etc. and is more than happy to take photos. I?m thinking of meg at this point, knowing that Guy Garvey is one of her major Pleba-esque squeezes. :D :heart:

Mission accomplished, we congratulate ourselves and head for the door. We pass Mark again and Ali really wants to get a quick photo and get the last signature for her poster, but can?t seem to get up the courage to do so. What the hell I say, let?s just do it. So we politely tap him on the shoulder and he signs the stuff, drops Ali?s Dove poster onto the beer-soaked floor, apologizes, then we get a photo and he?s definitely not minding getting close to Ali. Hehehe. (one of the reasons I love going to shows with her is that she?s so cute, the guys from the bands never mind taking time out to meet her, and I tag along for the ride. Btw, if she reads this she will kill me :mac: )

So there?s the long and short of it. More long than short. ;) Anyone who is able to catch this tour, I would unequivacobly encourage you to do so. Both bands are excellent and they are a really good pairing musically. Definitely :up: :up:

(pics to follow in a couple of hours)

Anyone who is able to catch this tour, I would unequivacobly encourage you to do so. Both bands are excellent and they are a really good pairing musically. Definitely
Sunday...Sunday...I can wait until Sunday...oh, my...
Glad you guys had so much fun!! :D

Awesome job with the story Sula:

My additions:

:love: :heart: :) THE SHOW WAS AWESOME....

AliRose (being the cute one of the threesome) got the Set list, that I will then send to Megan (as well as a poopload of stickers).

In addition to hanging with the Brothers Dove (guitarist and drummer guys are brothers), I ended up walking around the place trying to find him a cig. Bummed one off of this woman who said she would e-mail with job leads (no e-mail yet). Brought it back to him, and of course lit him up (wait, that doesn't sound right). Then I made him leave a message for the ex-S.O./gf/current friend.

I wish I had some cash to buy the guys some drinks (Kicks himself because he has no job).

I just wanted to thank Sula for spotting me some money to pay for the ticket and some liquid lubrication.

I love my local Interland buddies!

Last edited:
yer welcome, zoney.

Also, I'm glad you mentioned the setlist. I didn't know if you wanted it to be a surprise for meg or not, so I left it out of the story. :D

Last edited:
Zone.. Sorry to hear about the break.. Keep your head up.. You will find you have a family here at Interference Feedback.. You can always post to us... Except on your wedding day in the future...

Chilin',
L.Unplugged

OK...had some issues with the photo developing place. So these are my own scans, might not be as high quality as the ones I'll get from the place tomorrow.

And now snapfish is down, so it looks like I'll have to upload these one at a time from my hard drive. :huh:

Attachments

• 2guy-elbow1.jpg
    2guy-elbow1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
boy, this modem is slow. Here comes the arty "couldn't get enough light" shots. :huh:

Attachments

• 2guy-elbow2.jpg
    2guy-elbow2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
drummer and guitarist from Doves, Ali Rose, zonelistener, and sula

Attachments

• 2doves.jpg
    2doves.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
The goofy shot that Jimi took of us together...Ali Rose got cut off. :(

Attachments

• 2beth-jimi.jpg
    2beth-jimi.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 78
sula, Mark (guitarist from Elbow) and Ali Rose. Way to close those eyes, Mark!

Attachments

• beth-guitardude-tiff.jpg
    beth-guitardude-tiff.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 78
gah. And last but not least...Ali Rose, Guy Garvey and sula.

Meg, this one's for you! ;)

Attachments

• 2tiff-guy-beth.jpg
    2tiff-guy-beth.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 82
i dont know who those guys are but the girls are babes!!

oh and zoney too bwahahahaha
great pics sula
wanna come be a rock photographer with me?
Its going to be my new career methinks.

Re: pt. 2

sulawesigirl4 said:

Mission accomplished, we congratulate ourselves and head for the door. We pass Mark again and Ali really wants to get a quick photo and get the last signature for her poster, but can?t seem to get up the courage to do so. What the hell I say, let?s just do it. So we politely tap him on the shoulder and he signs the stuff, drops Ali?s Dove poster onto the beer-soaked floor, apologizes, then we get a photo and he?s definitely not minding getting close to Ali. Hehehe. (one of the reasons I love going to shows with her is that she?s so cute, the guys from the bands never mind taking time out to meet her, and I tag along for the ride. Btw, if she reads this she will kill me :mac: )

You're cute, too so cut it out! (insert yelling at you smilie here)

Great pictures! How fun to get to meet them like that. It seems like it was so relaxed and casual. That is so cool. :cool:

I hope taking all those pictures of the devil didn't hurt you camera. :lol: :mac: :lol:

Maybe next time I can join you guys....although toilet shopping was pretty damn exciting. :slant:

*blushes*
*kills Sula*
*dies looking at photos* :drool:

JK but yeah It was a GREAT TIME!! anybody whos a fan of music at all would have a great time at this show! I highlly recommend this show to anybody even if you've never even heard of them, cuz they were amazing!! And guy looks so "gruff" in that photo! Cool guys with super cute accents!!! :sexywink:
We reallly did get some good shots!! sorry, my L's are sticking....

Back
Top Bottom