The British are coming! Brit-Rock lives...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
(or: proof that Interference is having too much of an influence on my playlists)

Last artists played:

Idlewild
Starsailor
Coldplay
U2
Travis
Oasis
Doves
The Charlatans
Manic Street Preachers

All British artists. What the heck is going on?

I just discovered recently that all the rap/hiphop I listen to (besides Outkast and Eminem) is British. :hmm:

Interference has a huge influence on what I listen to, too. :| Not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose, because everyone has good taste. ;)

elevatedmole said:
I just discovered recently that all the rap/hiphop I listen to (besides Outkast and Eminem) is British. :hmm:

Have you listened to Jurassic 5?

They're my favorite rap group.

I like the "old" brit-pop that got me through college in the early 90's:

The Wonder Stuff
Stone Roses
Ride
Neds Atomic Dustbin
Chapterhouse
Lush
Boo Radleys
Early Blur
Jesus Jones
Pop Will Eat Itself
Kingmaker
James
My Bloody Valentine
EMF
The Farm
Black Grape
Echobelly
Early Verve
Paul Weller

Wow, there was loads of great shit from 90-95!

Embrace are another top British goup you should check out, Their first album "the good will out" is fantastic. Coldplay cannot put a foot wrong at the moment.. Oasis are past it, Their last 2 albums have been mediocre at best

MrBrau1 I liked a lot of those bands too. My favorite probably being james and The Stone Roses (the best debut album ever made)

This maybe a strange place to point this out but erm....

I always thought U2 were an Irish band ;)

elevatedmole said:

I've heard those 2 singles they had last year, can't remember what they were called though.. liked them both. :up: Any song suggestions?

Their first album was fantastic.

Song recommendations:

The Influence
Great Expectations
Quality Control
What's Golden

U2 are Irish incidentally, not British

also its not great to lump everyone together as "British", Travis and Idlewild are Scottish, the Manics are Welsh, the rest are English (afaik)

Also there is some good American music, the MTV effect just means you have to search all the harder to find it

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
(or: proof that Interference is having too much of an influence on my playlists)

Last artists played:

Idlewild
Starsailor
Coldplay
U2
Travis
Oasis
Doves
The Charlatans
Manic Street Preachers

All British artists. What the heck is going on?

starsailor? arent they pretty much second generation coldplay?

Re: Re: The British are coming! Brit-Rock lives...

Gickies Gageeze said:

starsailor? arent they pretty much second generation coldplay?

Yep, and just as drab and depressing

I find Starsailor's album to be stunning. That they could be in the same vein as Coldplay or Travis has no influence on me at all.

My playlist goes back a decade or two before yours,and it is heavily British...just talented I guess. I like their humour too.

A place for my story? Ben Elton is in Australia at the moment. He is doing a publicity tour to announce they are bringing his show(I can't now think of it's correct title) to Australia. It features SOME of the songs by QUEEN!!!
My goodness watching some clips from it, made me think...I HAVE TO SEE IT!!
Ben Elton was being interviewed and he said Freddie Mercury's family came to see the production. He spoke to Freddie's mother after the show and she said Freddie would really approve of the theme Ben had chosen and that "if music be the stuff of life.......Rock On!!"
Yo Mrs Mercury. Ben said he was very touched and amused by her approval.That is why the other day I suggested "Rock On" as a title for the new U2 album. I was still smiling about Freddie's mum.

So yes, those misty isles sure produce talent
playwrights, musicians, poets, soccer players.....

PS: Freddie started on Zanzibar, a hot island, but the misty islands influenced him the most.

cloudimani said:
U2 are Irish incidentally, not British

also its not great to lump everyone together as "British", Travis and Idlewild are Scottish, the Manics are Welsh, the rest are English (afaik)

I KNOW U2 is irish. I would have to, being here ;)

I just sort of lump all the Commonwealth artists together. England, Scotland, Ireland. Sorry. We don't hear a lot about those places here, so they're more or less in one category: Great Britain. :wink:

Starsailor is not second gen Coldplay. Starsailor is fabulous.

Beatles.

I will have to look up Embrace.

yeah i know what ya mean. prett well all my favorite bands at the moment are uk/european bands.

u2
oasis
doves
coldplay
travis
phonics
the soundtrack of our lives
etc....

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

I just sort of lump all the Commonwealth artists together. England, Scotland, Ireland. Sorry. We don't hear a lot about those places here, so they're more or less in one category: Great Britain. :wink:

Not to be picky, but Ireland isn't part of Great Britain. At least not the part our boys are from.

But I do agree that there seems to be an abnormaly large amount of quality music coming out of that part of the world.

GAH!

Okay, maybe I've just been thowing that entire area of Northern Europe into one area (or is it not even Europe)

Okay, now I feel stupid, ignorant, uninformed...

You'll be lumping aussie and canuck artists in under the umbrella of the commonwealth next...

Funny this thread came up, I just bought Be Here Now and all its overblown Mancunian decadence. :reject:

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

Starsailor is not second gen Coldplay. Starsailor is fabulous.

Beatles.

I will have to look up Embrace.

Not that I'd like to nitpick but Ireland isnt in the commonwealth

brettig said:
You'll be lumping aussie and canuck artists in under the umbrella of the commonwealth next...

So even you choose to gang up on me eh? :sexywink:

No. Oz and Canada are too far away geographically to be lumped together. I can't even lump Canada and the US (our Canadian radio stations ensure this).

I heard a Bush song on the radio last night

we just make a habit of claiming New Zealanders as our own... there is a long list of Kiwi/Aussie bands:up:

MrBrau1 said:
I like the "old" brit-pop that got me through college in the early 90's:

The Wonder Stuff
Stone Roses
Ride
Neds Atomic Dustbin
Chapterhouse
Lush
Boo Radleys
Early Blur
Jesus Jones
Pop Will Eat Itself
Kingmaker
James
My Bloody Valentine
EMF
The Farm
Black Grape
Echobelly
Early Verve
Paul Weller

Wow, there was loads of great shit from 90-95!

I haven't thought about some of those bands in a LONG time (chapterhouse, Kingmaker)! Seeing you are in the Bronx....did you see some of these bands in NYC in their hey day (early 90's)?

Back
Top Bottom