the brilliance that is...TOOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Se7en

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Thoughts, comments?

One of the best, and possibley only, credible hard rock/metal acts left in the music industry. I can't say enough good things about them, especially the musicianship. They are all masters of their medium, in my opinion. Anyone else like, dislike, hate, despise, love, obsess over, want to eat, or feel like discussing TOOL?
---
Lateralus

Black then white are all i see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see.
as below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.
Black then white are all i see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see there is so much more and
beckons me to look thru to these infinite possibilities.
as below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind.
Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.
I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.
With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in.
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
Spiral out. Keep going.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

this is a radiohead forum, people bitched about my radiohead shit everywhere, now i only post it here. threads like this can go to lemonade stand.

as for tool their sound is cool, but i really dont respect the singer. im for freedom of speach, but theyre constant anti-christian tones offend me.

me ten dollars.

------------------
-deathbear

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
this is a radiohead forum, people bitched about my radiohead shit everywhere, now i only post it here. threads like this can go to lemonade stand.

Oh so sorry mr. deathbear sir. I can only hope that you will, in time, forgive me for this grave mistake. I recall however, that elvis said this was not strictly a radiohead forum? I could be wrong, often am.

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

as for tool their sound is cool, but i really dont respect the singer. im for freedom of speach, but theyre constant anti-christian tones offend me.

I'm curious as to how much you actually know about the band. I don't know if you've even heard the new album, but I've not found one "anti-christian" tone. In fact, there are a lot of "christian" themes that run through it. I don't think the band has a problem w/ christians, or any other religion for that matter, as long as that faith has been acheived personally and not by blindly following. Their problems w/ Christianity lie within the corruption of the church...and with the recent news of child molesting priests, I can't argue w/ them about that.

------------------

Tool are alright. Maynard is the king of all asses though. Definitly has done one too many hits and snorts in his lifetime!

If also find their stuff gets very repetitive and often has no hooks or song structure at all.

But then again, I don't know much of their stuff

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Originally posted by Basstrap:
I also find their stuff gets very repetitive and often has no hooks or song structure at all.

The band lies on the fringes of progressive metal. You can't expect "pop" hooks from a band with songs in 9/8 time signatures that run for 7 or 8 minutes. I guess their music has to grow on you and I think that to get the whole "experience" you have to listen straight through the albums. It's definitely not music for the masses though.

I won't comment on your hits/snorts statement...as far as I know the band is not into drugs...although all signs may lead one to believe otherwise
smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 04-17-2002).]

I think deathbear was referring to another Tool project- A Perfect Circle.

You're such an inspiration for the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be
Oh so many ways for me to show you
How the savior has abandoned you
Fuck your God
Your Lord and your Christ
He did this
Took all you had and
Left you this way
Still you pray, you never stray
Never taste of the fruit
You never thought to question why

It's not like you killed someone
It's not like you drove a hateful spear into his side
Praise the one who left you
Broken down and paralyzed
He did it all for you
He did it all for you

And I'd agree this song's pretty offensive. Got on radio air too.
mad.gif

a perfect circle are on the radio all the time, and im sick of them.

there is another song im thinking of that tool does that i just cant think of at the moment that ive found very offensive. it takes alot to offend me.

I think perhaps deathbear is referring to eulogy...

He had alot to say. He had alot of nothing to say. We'll miss him. So long. We wish you well. You told us how you weren't afraid to die. Well then, so long. Don't cry. Or feel too down. Not all martyrs see divinity. But at least you tried. Standing above the crowd he had a voice that was strong and loud. We'll miss him. Ranting and pointing his finger at everything but his heart. We'll miss him. No way to recall what it was that you had said to me, Like I care at all. So loud. You sure could yell. You took a stand on every little thing and so loud. Standing above the crowd, he had a voice so strong and loud and I swallowed his fa?ade cuz I'm so eager to identify with someone above the ground, someone who seemed to feel the same, someone prepared to lead the way, with someone who would die for me. Will you? Will you now? Would you die for me? Don't you fuckin' lie. Don't you step out of line. Don't you fuckin lie. You've claimed all this time that you would die for me. Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy? You had alot to say. You had alot of nothing to say. Come down. Get off your fuckin cross. We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr. To ascend you must die. You must be crucified for your sins and your lies. Goodbye...

a song which i am 99.9% sure is not even about christ. the guilty party in this case would be L. Ron Hubbard. it's not wise to take any of this band's lyrics literally.

same goes for the APC lyrics...they use christian imagery, but it doesn't say, "fuck your christian god and jesus chirst"....i don't believe the song to be about christianity at all.

------------------

I was never much into heavy music until I heard Tool. I love the tribal beats and the fat guitar riffs. They're an excellent live band and you can have fun moshing at the same time. Have you seen Parabola yet? The last minute has some of the coolest graphics I've ever seen.

Originally posted by qball7200:
Have you seen Parabola yet? The last minute has some of the coolest graphics I've ever seen.

I just downloaded that beast this evening....101MB!! Took me a little over an hour to get. Overall I like the Schism video better, but you're right...those graphics were absolutely amazing.

------------------

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
their videos are freaky cool

I used to be scared of them back when I was 9 or 10. I remember seeing the Sober video and being completely freaked out.

I wish U2 could make videos of the same calibre as Tool. Obviously not as freaky, but at least interesting.

------------------

i dont know about my self but my younger brother is a huge tool fan and he also went to their gig last year.hes also a fan of aperfectcircle.
i want u2 to do some heavy metal.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES
i dont want to be a pinhead no more.

Originally posted by shaun vox:

i want u2 to do some heavy metal.

Haha. Don't hold your breath on that one
wink.gif

I would like to see U2 take a progressive approach to their music again, perhaps somewhat in the vein of the Zooropa era but with more of a hard rock influence. Wishful thinking I guess.

------------------

I love Tool- and I think that there music is great- I believe that they have one of the most unique sounds around and hey you gotta love em just for the brilliant artwork that features on their cds------anyway one of my fave Tool songs is Hooker with a penis from Aenima- I just love the lyrics to this song as I have known so many 'fans' like the one in this song and I love how they are just taking the piss out of those people- great song
smile.gif

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was OGT,
From '92,
The first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
A-dvice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
You should know that
I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
Then you're the fuckin' man as well
So you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

My views against Christianity or religion in general are
directed towards the 'middle men'-those who are in power
and use religion as a market force by which to manipulate
human beings for their own personal gain.

~MJK

...and there you have it...

------------------

Back
Top Bottom