the booing of anthems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
fans going to games really need to stop this.

the latest wave sweeping north america appears to have started in detroit on sunday. the silverdome was incredulous at the sound of the canadian anthem, played in the presence of the toronto raptors. they were so loud that the pistons organization issued an apology which also recognized that this had come just after the death of the 4 canadian soldiers in afghanistan.
fast forward to game 3 of the wings canucks series and you'll see canadian fans jeering the american anthem in gm place.
of course, this requires a response and it comes from long island's nassau coliseum last night before the leafs isles game.
i sincerely hope montreal, ottawa or toronto fans don't respond in an uncharacteristic, of both countries really, manner. it takes away from the quality of the game.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-24-2002).]

Originally posted by kobayashi:
fans going to games really need to stop this.

the latest wave sweeping north america appears to have started in detroit on sunday. the silverdome was incredulous at the sound of the canadian anthem, played in the presence of the toronto raptors. they were so loud that the pistons organization issued an apology which also recognized that this had come just after the death of the 4 canadian soldiers in afghanistan.
fast forward to game 3 of the wings canucks series and you'll see canadian fans jeering the american anthem in gm place.
of course, this requires a response and it comes from long island's nassau coliseum last night before the leafs isles game.
i sincerely hope montreal, ottawa or toronto fans don't respond in an uncharacteristic, of both countries really, manner. it takes away from the quality of the game.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-24-2002).]

I couldn't agree more Kobayashi. Classless actions on all counts.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

personally im not a fan of anthems to be quite honest. were brought up to believe in that being good, but i fail to see the point.

however booing is not a good play, regardless of your views.

unless ofcourse the anthem is of the third reich.

------------------
-deathbear

First you accidently drop bombs on 4 Canadians and then you boo the Canadian National Anthem at the Raptors game and last night during the leafs game? I keep wanting to believe Americans are not what the sterotype says they are, but man, GET SOME CLASS!!!! If we had accidently dropped a bomb and killed 4 americans, Geroge dub-ya would have declared war on us!!!

Originally posted by MunkyMan:
First you accidently drop bombs on 4 Canadians and then you boo the Canadian National Anthem at the Raptors game and last night during the leafs game? I keep wanting to believe Americans are not what the sterotype says they are, but man, GET SOME CLASS!!!! If we had accidently dropped a bomb and killed 4 americans, Geroge dub-ya would have declared war on us!!!

*sighs, rolls eyes and wonders...*

------------------

Zooropa FTP

Originally posted by MunkyMan:

Yes, in fact that certainly represents the attitudes of all Americans towards Canada.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Change is the only constant

wow. munky man slow down there. the booing was prominent in detroit for the basketball.

it was subdued last night in new york.

keep in mind 'canadian' fans acted with just as little class in welcoming detroit to the west coast in game 3.

lets hope there are no shenanigans tonight.

Alright, after reading my post, i must admit I was a bit harsh!! I know that the booing was done by only a select few and I doubt George bush would declare war on us. I must have had a bad day!! Sorry to all you americans out there to assume that you were all a bunch of classless people. There are peolpe like that everywhere!!

mike in toronto
Go LEAfs Go!!!

Booing any anthem at a sporting event is not a political statement, but rather a feeble and classless act started by a group of hooligans who forget that they are cheering for their favourite team- not country. Those that choose to look at cheering for a particular team as a cheer for their country, IMO, wouldn't be the ones to disrespect another country's anthem. Regardless if any of us like the tradition of anthems being played at sporting events, it is a symbolic moment for many, and that alone should be respected. This has nothing to do with war, politics and what's going on in the world.

What happened last week in Afghanistan is a tragic reality of war. This does not lighten the harshness of the event, but it is an unfortunate fact. Speculating what the US would do if the roles were reversed is ridiculous, pointless and only hurtful. I for one am Canadian and am quite obviously upset by recent events, but pointing blame and seeking any kind of revenge (even in the form of booing the US anthem) is disgusting, and tactless. Such things do not belong in sports. Hockey is hockey, basketball is basketball, war is war and let's leave it at that. Separate entities.

Originally posted by Angel:
Booing any anthem at a sporting event is not a political statement, but rather a feeble and classless act started by a group of hooligans who forget that they are cheering for their favourite team- not country. Those that choose to look at cheering for a particular team as a cheer for their country, IMO, wouldn't be the ones to disrespect another country's anthem. Regardless if any of us like the tradition of anthems being played at sporting events, it is a symbolic moment for many, and that alone should be respected. This has nothing to do with war, politics and what's going on in the world.

What happened last week in Afghanistan is a tragic reality of war. This does not lighten the harshness of the event, but it is an unfortunate fact. Speculating what the US would do if the roles were reversed is ridiculous, pointless and only hurtful. I for one am Canadian and am quite obviously upset by recent events, but pointing blame and seeking any kind of revenge (even in the form of booing the US anthem) is disgusting, and tactless. Such things do not belong in sports. Hockey is hockey, basketball is basketball, war is war and let's leave it at that. Separate entities.

Well said Angel.

------------------

Zooropa FTP

But what about Adam's quote from R&H?. Sorry, had to throw that in there.

As for Detroit fans booing the Canadian anthem -- and some of them apparently in response to the Red Wings being down to The Canucks -- I have to wonder where their heads are. Do they not realize that most of the Red Wings are Canadian?

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 04-25-2002).]

interesting how the fans in Montreal booooed the US National Anthem tonight, so much for the theory about how Canadians (and I mean the people not the players) have more class than Americans

Well, I think it's just tit for tat now...they wouldn't have done it in Montreal if this whole thing hadn't started in the U.S. last week...which was odd in and of itself!

And I bet that Maclaren is a Yank!
wink.gif

Humboldt, Saskatchewan (but hey, canadian... yank... same thing!)

anyway, it's stupid for any fans to booo another national anthem, I just thought I should point out that this holier-than-thou attitude going on here no longer has any validity

Humboldt?!?!? hahaha!!!!! oops!!!that's practically my hometown!! *tail planted firmly between legs*

Anyhow, Montrealers are hardly American....heck, they're hardly Canadian!!!!!

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
interesting how the fans in Montreal booooed the US National Anthem tonight, so much for the theory about how Canadians (and I mean the people not the players) have more class than Americans

we already pointed out that vancouver fans had responded during the canucks wings game earlier in the week.. i think very few, aside from 1 in particular, ever propagated a holier than thou image in here.

you are right though, it is stupid for any fan anywhere to boo another anthem.

I'm glad this didn't turn into an America V Canada thread. I dont think I would have coped
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I think all countries kinda do it. And like someone said, its not the representation of the whole nation, just a bunch of uncouth hoods. We have a rugby league team here, the Canterbury Bulldogs, who have a fan base that are determined to prove themselves as having zero respect for anything and anyone. A while back, a policeman from the NSW service was shot in a cowardly act by some hoods, in a game involving the Bulldogs, they had a minute's silence. The only people who couldn't keep their mouths shut and still jeered and booed etc were some Bulldog fans. I guess this situation is a bit different as this is an ongoing saga with this team and it may be stoppable as the offenders can be identified and given life bans to the game. But overall, there is not much you can do to stop the few who have absolutely no respect at all.

One thing though thats probably a certainty, is that you get a handfull of indivuduals from any team or country who jeer, BUT the majority who are on the same side will feel the annoyance and shame the offenders dont.

Back
Top Bottom