the booing of anthems - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:36 PM
the booing of anthems

fans going to games really need to stop this.

the latest wave sweeping north america appears to have started in detroit on sunday. the silverdome was incredulous at the sound of the canadian anthem, played in the presence of the toronto raptors. they were so loud that the pistons organization issued an apology which also recognized that this had come just after the death of the 4 canadian soldiers in afghanistan.
fast forward to game 3 of the wings canucks series and you'll see canadian fans jeering the american anthem in gm place.
of course, this requires a response and it comes from long island's nassau coliseum last night before the leafs isles game.
i sincerely hope montreal, ottawa or toronto fans don't respond in an uncharacteristic, of both countries really, manner. it takes away from the quality of the game.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-24-2002).]

Old 04-24-2002, 01:08 PM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
fans going to games really need to stop this.

the latest wave sweeping north america appears to have started in detroit on sunday. the silverdome was incredulous at the sound of the canadian anthem, played in the presence of the toronto raptors. they were so loud that the pistons organization issued an apology which also recognized that this had come just after the death of the 4 canadian soldiers in afghanistan.
fast forward to game 3 of the wings canucks series and you'll see canadian fans jeering the american anthem in gm place.
of course, this requires a response and it comes from long island's nassau coliseum last night before the leafs isles game.
i sincerely hope montreal, ottawa or toronto fans don't respond in an uncharacteristic, of both countries really, manner. it takes away from the quality of the game.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-24-2002).]
I couldn't agree more Kobayashi. Classless actions on all counts.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Old 04-24-2002, 01:52 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:36 PM
personally im not a fan of anthems to be quite honest. were brought up to believe in that being good, but i fail to see the point.

however booing is not a good play, regardless of your views.

unless ofcourse the anthem is of the third reich.

------------------
-deathbear
Old 04-24-2002, 02:55 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 08:36 PM
First you accidently drop bombs on 4 Canadians and then you boo the Canadian National Anthem at the Raptors game and last night during the leafs game? I keep wanting to believe Americans are not what the sterotype says they are, but man, GET SOME CLASS!!!! If we had accidently dropped a bomb and killed 4 americans, Geroge dub-ya would have declared war on us!!!
Old 04-24-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by MunkyMan:
First you accidently drop bombs on 4 Canadians and then you boo the Canadian National Anthem at the Raptors game and last night during the leafs game? I keep wanting to believe Americans are not what the sterotype says they are, but man, GET SOME CLASS!!!! If we had accidently dropped a bomb and killed 4 americans, Geroge dub-ya would have declared war on us!!!
*sighs, rolls eyes and wonders...*

------------------

Zooropa FTP
Old 04-24-2002, 07:42 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MunkyMan:
Yes, in fact that certainly represents the attitudes of all Americans towards Canada.

------------------
Change is the only constant
Old 04-25-2002, 03:33 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

wow. munky man slow down there. the booing was prominent in detroit for the basketball.

it was subdued last night in new york.

keep in mind 'canadian' fans acted with just as little class in welcoming detroit to the west coast in game 3.

lets hope there are no shenanigans tonight.

Old 04-25-2002, 03:58 AM   #8
The Fly

We didn't boo the anthem, we booed the stinky red wings!!

miek in toronto

Go LEafs GO!!!!

Old 04-25-2002, 09:09 AM   #9
The Fly

Alright, after reading my post, i must admit I was a bit harsh!! I know that the booing was done by only a select few and I doubt George bush would declare war on us. I must have had a bad day!! Sorry to all you americans out there to assume that you were all a bunch of classless people. There are peolpe like that everywhere!!

mike in toronto
Go LEAfs Go!!!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:50 AM   #10
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Booing any anthem at a sporting event is not a political statement, but rather a feeble and classless act started by a group of hooligans who forget that they are cheering for their favourite team- not country. Those that choose to look at cheering for a particular team as a cheer for their country, IMO, wouldn't be the ones to disrespect another country's anthem. Regardless if any of us like the tradition of anthems being played at sporting events, it is a symbolic moment for many, and that alone should be respected. This has nothing to do with war, politics and what's going on in the world.

What happened last week in Afghanistan is a tragic reality of war. This does not lighten the harshness of the event, but it is an unfortunate fact. Speculating what the US would do if the roles were reversed is ridiculous, pointless and only hurtful. I for one am Canadian and am quite obviously upset by recent events, but pointing blame and seeking any kind of revenge (even in the form of booing the US anthem) is disgusting, and tactless. Such things do not belong in sports. Hockey is hockey, basketball is basketball, war is war and let's leave it at that. Separate entities.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:19 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Anyway you look at it - Islanders fans are without class - New York fans don't understand the term class! (me being one myself - I know this).
Old 04-25-2002, 02:52 PM   #12
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener:
Anyway you look at it - Islanders fans are without class - New York fans don't understand the term class! (me being one myself - I know this).
I seriously hope you are kidding.

------------------

Zooropa FTP
Old 04-25-2002, 02:55 PM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel:
Booing any anthem at a sporting event is not a political statement, but rather a feeble and classless act started by a group of hooligans who forget that they are cheering for their favourite team- not country. Those that choose to look at cheering for a particular team as a cheer for their country, IMO, wouldn't be the ones to disrespect another country's anthem. Regardless if any of us like the tradition of anthems being played at sporting events, it is a symbolic moment for many, and that alone should be respected. This has nothing to do with war, politics and what's going on in the world.

What happened last week in Afghanistan is a tragic reality of war. This does not lighten the harshness of the event, but it is an unfortunate fact. Speculating what the US would do if the roles were reversed is ridiculous, pointless and only hurtful. I for one am Canadian and am quite obviously upset by recent events, but pointing blame and seeking any kind of revenge (even in the form of booing the US anthem) is disgusting, and tactless. Such things do not belong in sports. Hockey is hockey, basketball is basketball, war is war and let's leave it at that. Separate entities.
Well said Angel.

------------------

Zooropa FTP
Old 04-25-2002, 05:46 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

But what about Adam's quote from R&H?. Sorry, had to throw that in there.

As for Detroit fans booing the Canadian anthem -- and some of them apparently in response to the Red Wings being down to The Canucks -- I have to wonder where their heads are. Do they not realize that most of the Red Wings are Canadian?

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 04-25-2002).]
Old 04-25-2002, 11:31 PM   #15
Kid A

interesting how the fans in Montreal booooed the US National Anthem tonight, so much for the theory about how Canadians (and I mean the people not the players) have more class than Americans