The Black Parade (My Chemical Romance)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsp77

Refugee
Anyone else pick this up? It is surprisingly extremely good. Well beyond their previous emo work. Yes, some say it isn't emo, but whatever. It is very theatrical and is actually getting very strong reviews (except for The Observer), with many saying it is the best rock album of the year and this year's American Idiot.

I bought it. I quite like some emo stuff, but I really am not emo at all. :wink:

I like it, and I like how it's all about one character. I can totally relate to Cancer, it's such a sad song :sad:

Dead is pretty :drool: The ending reminds me so much of an Oasis song, but maybe that's just me.... :shrug:

I don't know if I'd consider Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge to be "emo". I associate emo music with being unimaginative and whiney. The songs on TCFSW are a bit dark, a bit preoccupied with death, and so I'd more likely call it "goth". But I suck at assigning genres, so whatever.

As for The Black Parade, I'm not sure yet if I want it, even though I love TCFSW. So far I've heard Welcome To The Black Parade (and seen the video), and I saw it and Cancer performed on SNL last weekend. None of it's really grabbing me or exciting me yet.

But I'll probably end up buying it eventually anyway :shrug:

It's quite short, but the majority of the other songs on the album are longer....

I'm not sure whether it's better than TCFSW but it's certainly different, which is good. I like MCR, but I thought they'd stick to them same kinda thing, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they haven't. :wink:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I don't know if I'd consider Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge to be "emo". I associate emo music with being unimaginative and whiney. The songs on TCFSW are a bit dark, a bit preoccupied with death, and so I'd more likely call it "goth". But I suck at assigning genres, so whatever.

I hate emo overall, Three Cheers just happens to be very good emo. As you said, most is unimaginative and whiny. But after The Black Parade, it will be hard to call them emo.

^ So many bands are "emo" now though, I was told that Muse is now definitely emo - and they're a million light years better than a band like P!ATD... I though TCFSR was decent emo but then you get some stuff like All American Rejects which is just crap emo.

I'm poor at assigning genres too, so that's probably all wrong. :shrug:

I'm not sure what genre The Black Parade would fall under...

I was unimpressed with them on SNL (although to their credit, a lot of bands I normally like just sound crappy on SNL for some reason), but heard good things about the album. I downloaded it to check it out, and while it's better than I would have expected, it's just not my thing.

Plus, what's with the singer's Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby haircut?

Total U2 Nut said:
^ So many bands are "emo" now though, I was told that Muse is now definitely emo

Whoever told you that knows nothing about music.

Actually, I was watching the music channel Kerrang, there was a program where you could text in your questions and someone would answer them, and someone text in "who is the best emo band" and the reply was "Muse is one of the most underrated emo bands out there" (or something along those lines)... :shrug:

Well, that's cheap TV for you.. :wink:

I love all the stuff MCR has done. Eventhough some of it is... :sigh: emo.

But I just got The Black Parade, and I think it is genius. Especially the guitar. :rockon:

and Cancer is short, but it gets the emotional point across very strongly. I like all the songs on the album, especially Famous Last Words, Dead!, and House of Wolves... and Teenagers is the funniest song i've heard in a while

(except for Weird Al, but he's always funny, so he doesn't count)

Last edited:
Nice location :wink:

Teenagers, is such a good song :D

"They said all
Teenagers scare the living shit out of me
They could care less
As long as someone'll bleed
So darken your clothes
Or strike a violent pose
Maybe they'll leave you alone
But not me."

:lol:

Last edited:
I was hesitant to post about this album. I really, really enjoy it. I just hate the confrontational nature of things on this board these days. I wouldn't call it album of the year, but it is definitely a great album and one of the best. It's absolutely, and most importantly unapologetically, bombastic. It's over the top, it's raw and earnest, but it it deals out a lot of fun with the darkness. The hooks are catchier, the instrumentation sharper, and while I can't say he's a great live vocalist, Gerard sounds really great on a lot of these songs.

As far as the concept album thing, I think it's being blown out of proportion a little bit. There's definitely a thematic link, and maybe a disjointed story, but it's not a rock opera. Leans much more to concept. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Liza Minelli cameo :love:

Standout tracks
"Dead"
"Cancer"
"I Don't Love You"
"This is How I Disappear"
"The Sharpest Lives"

really, I keep finding new songs I love

Picked this up today. I still remember how impressed I was when I first bought Three Cheers. Can't wait to listen to it.

MCR :drool:

:bump:

UnforgettableLemon said:

really, I keep finding new songs I love

I'm officially in mad love with every song on this album. The whole thing is just genius. :love:

My favorites right now:
Famous Last Words
The Sharpest Lives
Sleep
This Is How I Disappear

HeartlandGirl said:
I'm officially in mad love with every song on this album. The whole thing is just genius.

:love:

My favorites right now:
Famous Last Words
The Sharpest Lives
Sleep
This Is How I Disappear
:up:

MCR is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. The new album is definitely highly addicting. I've been listening to it daily since the release. I'm not too wild about most of the lyrics (Cancer, in particular), but it's a lot of fun to listen to - lots of solid, catchy songs. I love singing along to Teenagers at the top of my lungs :shifty:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned House Of Wolves. It's my favorite song on the album :drool:

Queen Bee said:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned House Of Wolves. It's my favorite song on the album :drool:

That surprised me to. It was the standout track for me the first time I listened to the CD. Teenagers comes in a close second for me :up:

yertle-the-turtle said:
Screw all the haters.

:yes: :up:

House of Wolves was the last song to grow on me, next to Dead!, but damn, it's so much fun. I'm listening to it a lot nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom