The Best Of Radiohead to be released on 2 June !!! - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
If you substituted "Radiohead" for "U2" and put this thread in EYKIW, the reaction would be exactly the opposite.

Only difference is that this is EMI's release and not Radiohead's, whereas U2 are such cash whores at this point that I imagine we'll have 4 more "Best Ofs" by the end of the decade.
I couldn't agree more. The U2 best ofs (1990-2000 and 18) has been totally crap, but everyone has praised to death here, including those atrocious "new mixes"

Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #77
Babyface

Local Time: 08:32 AM
It's all Jackie Wilson's fault.

If RH didn't want a "Best Of" released, they never should have signed their rights away.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Yeah but were WITS and Saints both released as singles? I thought only WITS was. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes. And yes you are.
I think that The Saints Are Coming was even a bigger hit than Window In The Skies.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Radiohead: Did NOT authorise this Best Of. Their contracts were for albums, and to speak of contractual obligations to release a Best Of is misleading. EMI, however, owns the rights to the music on said albums and thus can do whatever they like with it - including, as in this case, a Best Of. The band's opinion is irrelevant; if they don't support it (as posters on this thread have indicated), then that's really just too bad.
While I think that the facts in this are correct, I don't agree with the interpretation. Radiohead's contract with EMI might've included only direct mentions of albums, but with EMI owning the rights, the provision was always there for them to release a Best Of CD. If Radiohead didn't want to have any Best Of released at all, they should've retained their rights to their music. By signing it away (and not getting it back) they implicitly made the choice to have a Best Of released.

Compare this to U2's case. Until 1998 or so, U2's contract probably also didn't include any mention of Best Of albums. Still, their record company could never release a Best Of as they didn't (and still don't) own the rights. They made the explicit choice to have a Best Of released.

Still, both bands allowed for a Best Of to be released.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
that seems like a silly argument if you ask me...

so, because Radiohead had the nerve to make good music and sell a lot of albums for EMI and had the gall to leave EMI (which, by the sounds of it, seemed like an ugly break up) they are just as responsible for this Best Of?
No, Radiohead is as responsible as they didn't care whether or not EMI would release a Best Of (or at least, didn't have a provision for it in their contract).
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #81
The Fly

Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Radiohead left original record label EMI because the company would not pay agree to a deal worth £10 million.

According to The Times newspaper the band – who release all their previous albums through EMI imprint Parlophone – were offered £3m to resign with the label which they found unacceptable.

A spokesperson for the label told the paper “Radiohead were demanding an extraordinary amount of money and we did not believe that our other artists should have to subsidise their gains.”

However the band’s management have responded saying that the label did not take their negotiations seriously and it could loose other high profile artists in future.

As part of an agreement, Radiohead asked for the copyright back on part of their back catalogue, which the label would not consider. It is also claimed the group wanted a global marketing budget of £3m, although their management dispute this figure.

One of Radiohead’s managers, Bryce Edge, told the paper: “We couldn’t move ahead with EMI because (label boss) Guy Hands irrevocably refused to discuss the catalogue in any meaningful way. We sold 25 million records and we have the moral rights over those six albums. We wanted a say in how they are exploited in the future. We were not seeking a big advance payment, or a guaranteed marketing spend as discussions never got that far.”

When discussions between and the label and the band stalled, the group decided to release latest album ’In Rainbows’ themselves, initially allowing fans to name their own price for the record, before agreeing a CD release with XL which is due out on Monday (December 31).

Edge added that Radiohead might not be the only big name who will leaving the label, hinting that acts were upset that record companies still deduct “packaging costs” from royalty payments on digital downloads, which require no packaging.

Additionally, Radiohead's original EMI contract also had no facility for digital sales, with Edge explaining, “It’s no surprise that artists are throwing their arms up in the air.”
Old 04-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Why am I getting involved here? It's no secret I don't like Radiohead and think the only songs they've ever recorded that are worth the time of day are Idioteque and Electioneering. But your post is just ridiculous and reeks of a "ha ha I told you so" attitude that is misrepresenting the facts.

Let's outline this as clearly as possible. Hopefully what I recall from what I've read about Radiohead's situation is accurate - I'm sure someone can correct me if I've made an error.

U2: Personally authorised three Best Ofs. Signed a contract to release them; a contract unrelated to their album contracts. As they own the rights to all their music, a Best Of cannot be released without their express approval.

Radiohead: Did NOT authorise this Best Of. Their contracts were for albums, and to speak of contractual obligations to release a Best Of is misleading. EMI, however, owns the rights to the music on said albums and thus can do whatever they like with it - including, as in this case, a Best Of. The band's opinion is irrelevant; if they don't support it (as posters on this thread have indicated), then that's really just too bad.

You can't compare the situations.
If Radiohead didn't bother getting the rights to their catalogue in the contract with EMI, oops. Just don't cry about the big bad label later on.

One band left a label, so the said label issued a Best of (happens a lot, especially with bands that change labels during their career). The other band did the same, and the band HAD to issue a Best of with the previous label (they intended to do a 2000-2010 Best of instead, as the 80's and 90's Best of suggest. And U2:18 - or the previous Best ofs - didn't have anything to do with the band's approval, it was them complying to the legalities of the contract) The fact is both bands got a premmature Best of and one decided to get involved with it.

But you know, apparently one of the two bands won't ever NEVER do a Best of. And that's what's funny.
(what "I told you so?" I don't remember posting "Yes, there will be a Radiohead Best of one day.")

As for additional songs. I think pretty much all bands add a new song (which were available as singles too) or two or maybe new remixes or, in the case of lesser CD sales - live DVDs on Best ofs, as something extra for the longtime fans. If the extras on the aren't worth it to you, that's your prerrogative.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #83
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

But you know, apparently one of the two bands won't ever NEVER do a Best of.
Doesn't that still hold true? It's EMI releasing it, not the band.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Radiohead should've done a Noel Gallagher and intervened in the tracklisting of the Greatest Hits if they're so cut up about the fact that one is being released.

It was always gonna be released, whether they wanted one to or not, and the CD will sell pretty well.

That's what I love about Oasis (Noel Gallagher), they don't whinge and whine about stuff like Radiohead seem to be doing here. If you don't like something, actually take some action rather than having a cry about it. Be proactive.

Noel Gallagher didn't want Oasis' Greatest Hits to be released, but he knew it was gonna happen, and in an admirable act of damage limitation, he made sure that the compilation would consist of what HE wanted, and not the record company.

U2 lost it with that U218 compilation. A shocker of a release, but again, it had to be done. It would've been sweeter if it was a REST OF compilation, but alas no.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I don't really see a big problem here. It's a nice album for casual Radiohead fans or someone new to their music who just wants to hear some of their songs to see if they like them enough to buy more. I've never considered "Best of's" to be aimed at or important to serious fans of any band.

And yes, if there is a buck to be made, record companies will do it, whether the artist approves or not .
Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:32 AM
radiohead: 18
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I don't really see a big problem here. It's a nice album for casual Radiohead fans or someone new to their music who just wants to hear some of their songs to see if they like them enough to buy more. I've never considered "Best of's" to be aimed at or important to serious fans of any band.
Exactly! Who cares! Let casual fans discover more Radiohead.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

And yes, if there is a buck to be made, record companies will do it, whether the artist approves or not .
Old 04-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Exactly! Who cares! Let casual fans discover more Radiohead.

Let them eat cake!
Old 04-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Let them fuck lance's mom.