The Best Of Radiohead to be released on 2 June !!! - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Seriously, where is Optimistic? That was the only song from Kid A that actually got real radio play.

Doesn't matter, I'm not buying it as I have all of the songs, and in the better context of the albums.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #62
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:01 AM
I don't get your analogies
not getting it at all
I think that is because you don't make a whole lot of sense though

when Radiohead was with EMI and OK Computer became as big as it did they knew that a best of would appear some time
unless they are/were completely out of touch with reality

from that moment on their option was to make sure they would or would not have something to say about this best of album

as Radiohead produced the music and the album is going to have Radiohead on it I would say they are involved in it yes

much like you would be involved in the American elections if you are one of the candidates
would be involved in rain if you are a raindrop
and I guess if you are Paul McGuinness you share as much blame as anyone who has input in the contracts that u2 sign

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #63
The Fly

Local Time: 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome

much like you would be involved in the American elections if you are one of the candidates
would be involved in rain if you are a raindrop
and I guess if you are Paul McGuinness you share as much blame as anyone who has input in the contracts that u2 sign
But in this case

Radiohead didn't want to be a candidate in the elections

Radiohead didn't want to be a raindrop

Radiohead certainly didn't want to be Paul McGuiness.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:01 PM
that seems like a silly argument if you ask me...

so, because Radiohead had the nerve to make good music and sell a lot of albums for EMI and had the gall to leave EMI (which, by the sounds of it, seemed like an ugly break up) they are just as responsible for this Best Of?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Anyway this Radiohead Best Of already sounds like it's a million times better than U2:18. Because (a.) There are no new songs "marketed" with the package and (b.) There is nothing additional to rope in the hardcore fans. So it's strictly a primer for people curious about the band. That's how it should be in my opinion.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Copy

But in this case

Radiohead didn't want to be a candidate in the elections

Radiohead didn't want to be a raindrop

Radiohead certainly didn't want to be Paul McGuiness.
I'm so glad I started from page 1 and not here as I'd be utterly confused!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #67
you are what you is

what do you mean with "responsible" then
if, in the end, Radiohead doesn't have any responsibility for a Radiohead Best of
then who does??

I'm not blaming Radiohead for this Best of
they only did what they are supposed to do
but I can hardly blame EMI either
because they are also just doing what they're supposed to do

I don't get the problem anyway
I'm not saying Radiohead is selling out because of a silly Best of being released
I'm just saying that given the circumstances the only real options they have is:
A- to not give a shit (which is probably what they are doing)
B- making sure they would be part in putting this Best of together
C- going Axl Rose on us and go on a sorry lament on how their former record company took advantage of the poor multi- millionaire artists

option C would be more for fans
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #68
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Anyway this Radiohead Best Of already sounds like it's a million times better than U2:18. Because (a.) There are no new songs "marketed" with the package and (b.) There is nothing additional to rope in the hardcore fans. So it's strictly a primer for people curious about the band. That's how it should be in my opinion.
I always reckoned that the new songs serve as a "thank you" to the hardcore fans who would usually buy the album anyway - even without new songs - because they like their collection to be complete

usually these new songs are also being released on single so you can also just buy the single not the entire album

or you just download

~Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #69
The Fly

Bottom line is that Radiohead signed a contract that allowed EMI to decide whether a Best of would be released or not. We know that if it was up to Radiohead, they would have chosen to not release a best of. This is certainly different from U2 who actively signed a contract that committed them to release Best ofs. So no, it's not comparable.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Quote:
I always reckoned that the new songs serve as a "thank you" to the hardcore fans who would usually buy the album anyway - even without new songs - because they like their collection to be complete
I guess. I'm certainly not one of those that would buy a pointless hits package just to be complete.

Quote:
usually these new songs are also being released on single so you can also just buy the single not the entire album

or you just download
Yeah but were WITS and Saints both released as singles? I thought only WITS was. Maybe I'm wrong. But anyway, I think singles in general are too expensive. I have no intention in forking out 5 bucks or whatever for 1 song and 2 more that weren't good enough to even be included in the album.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #71
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Copy
Bottom line is that Radiohead signed a contract that allowed EMI to decide whether a Best of would be released or not. We know that if it was up to Radiohead, they would have chosen to not release a best of. This is certainly different from U2 who actively signed a contract that committed them to release Best ofs. So no, it's not comparable.
are you suggesting that Radiohead signed a contract that allowed EMI to release a Best of, but that they reckoned EMI might not do this?

interesting concept I guess
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #72
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Radiohead: Did NOT authorise this Best Of. Their contracts were for albums, and to speak of contractual obligations to release a Best Of is misleading. EMI, however, owns the rights to the music on said albums and thus can do whatever they like with it - including, as in this case, a Best Of. The band's opinion is irrelevant; if they don't support it (as posters on this thread have indicated), then that's really just too bad.

You can't compare the situations.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #73
you are what you is

i agree completely with Axver's post
except for the "you can't compare ..." bit

Radiohead and U2 both must have been aware that no matter what Best of albums would / will appear

U2 decided they wanted a say over this
Radiohead didn't do this

now, I have no idea why U2 did want to have a say on it and why Radiohead didn't
but to say these 2 cases can't be compared doesn't make sense to me
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #74
Refugee

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Quote:

but to say these 2 cases can't be compared doesn't make sense to me
It makes sense to everyone else
Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #75
The Fly

Quote:
U2: Personally authorised three Best Ofs. Signed a contract to release them; a contract unrelated to their album contracts. As they own the rights to all their music, a Best Of cannot be released without their express approval.